Food ,drinks and sweets

However, what really surprised me about the segment was that they didn't mention what I thought was something pretty important. My boyfriend is diabetic, and he almost picked up a case of the "white cans" thinking they were Diet Cokes, and then realizing they weren't! I mean, that could be a disaster for diabetics; picking up what they think are Diet Cokes. If it's true that people are "tricked" into thinking they taste a certain flavor based on the color, then certainly it could work in reverse? A diabetic drinks out of the white cans and thinks they are Diets, and goes into a diabetic coma due to this error! While I am hardly surprised that news segments are so neglectful in their reporting, I was surprised that this particular angle wasn't even mentioned or slightly hinted at. I would think something like this would be the real story; not people putting on blindfolds and trying to prove that "white can" Cokes taste different from "red can" Cokes!

:ill: It is a huge blunder. As someone who has worked retail I can say with certainty: PEOPLE DO NOT READ LABELS/TAGS! :guh: I can't for the life of me understand why; but Coca-Cola should - must know that. Thus, in my mind they are knowingly putting diabetics in danger. I'm all for saving the polar bears and all, but they should have just made red cans with white trim or something. And yeah, definitely save that one can. ;) You never know.

On the subject of throwbacks: The "Old" Mountain Dew isn't really a true throwback, not to me anyway. I want the REAL old Mountain Dew - From waaaaayyy back when. Originally, you could SEE a bit of pulp floating in the soda because they used real fruit! :oops: Me wantie!

And Taimi, ever try the white chocolate kisses with peppermint dots in them? They're only around during Yule, but oh my god, they're my favorite!
And I agree about the diet soda. It makes me sad. I have sugar issues too, so I kinda need my real soda :lol: otherwise I'm liable to pass out!

I want to try those white chocolate kisses! I'm normally not a fan of white chocolate, but I really like Hugs (which are "kisses", but made of white chocolate instead of milk/dark).

Christmas is right around the corner; I want to make some caramel brownies but I don't want them to all get eaten before the big day. What to do?

Well, since this is the topic for it, I've been online for the last 3 hours answering e-mails, and I am hungry. Time for food!
essen.gif

I'm not a meat eater, but even if I were, the word "turducken" just frightens me! :) I have seen a version of it in the store here that is stuffed with sausage and I think lobster. It's only a matter of time before they figure out how to stuff a sheep or a buffalo in there.

I saved one can, unopened, because you never know; might be a collector's item someday. ;)

^^^ Good idea. They've already taken them off the market due to the massive complaints from people. I'd bet a lot from diabetic people. I work in retail also (actually a gas station but whatever), and we already have the red cans back. They left the polar bears on.. just changed it back to red.

I'm a Dr. Pepper FIEND. I have tried to cut back in the last few years because I had a kidney stone when I was 19 in relation to my ridiculous soda drinking habits (PAINFUL). Also, calling it soda is weird because here in the midwest we call it pop. But I will say soda because I've noticed calling it pop almost offends some people who are not from the midwest.. lol. I don't drink much else other than Dr. Pepper... occasionally root beer. But I prefer darker sodas.

My favorite food is probably potatoes. Not to sound redundant as I've seen it mentioned already in this thread!.. I sometimes get irritated if I have a meal WITHOUT potatoes. Like.. ugh.. totally unsatisfied. I also love bread.. in almost all of its forms. Starch much?

As for sweets.. I am also a major chocoholic. It's funny you guys have already talked about kisses too.. but my favorite candy right now is actually the cherry cordial kisses. They are sooooo goood. They're usually only out around this time of year, and I go kinda crazy with them. I must have chocolate in the house. If there's no DP and no chocolate in the house, you will find me a sad sad panda. I also love cake. Sometimes I crave cake.

The things I crave and love are terrible. And I work at a gas station where it's all around me all the time. Tough to resist.

If you come here and talk me about soda, the first thing I'd think about would be caustic soda lol Here "soda" as a drink refers mainly to Sprite, 7Up and such, not really to Coke or Pepsi (which are always called by their names "Coca" and "Pepsi"). I don't really drink any of them, except a coke every now and then, but they're too sweet, too much gas and they don't take away my thirst anyway. I'm a lover of local, glass bottled water (hate plastic bottles, they really make water taste bad...I was born in a place where spring water tastes really good and I've always been used to drink from glass bottles, even coke.) and ice tea!

I love chocolate too, I always lived near places famous for their chocolate, like Swiss and Perugia. But I'm a big fan of white chocolate, especially when it has something crunchy inside, like cereals or biscuits!
About cakes, I think the best one I've ever had was like, pastafrolla+nutella (hazelnut chocolate cream)+fresh raspberries+white chocolate topping+coconut flakes. I really love cheesecake too, but it's so freaking hard to find here, and it often sucks -.- When I have to choose a cake for my birthday I always take the "millefoglie" cake, which is a small layered cake made of puff pastry and filled with cream:
Millefoglie04.jpg

Over the last couple of years, I've become a real fan of red velvet cake. Traditionally, you're supposed to use white frosting, but we make ours with chocolate frosting, and it's so delicious! If we hadn't already set aside Christmas to be for caramel brownies, I wouldn't have minded a chocolate velvet cake at all!
yum.gif

Here's what red velvet cake looks like; I couldn't find any with chocolate frosting, so just use your imagination, I guess. :lol:

swisscolonyredvelvet.jpg

omg ok ok... I also love red velvet cake.. who doesn't really?.. but speaking of cheesecake.. if you ever go to The Cheesecake Factory, they have this AMAZING red velvet cheesecake. It's like wow. I can imagine red velvet cake with chocolate would be soo good.. I've never even thought about it..

That pastry cake looks DELICIOUS..

I'm hungry.

Red Velvet cake is awesome! I make mine with cream cheese frosting usually. :oops: It's really great. But this year Hungarian Spice cake with brown sugar frosting is on the menu since Dad is going to be over and her Birthdays is the 24'th. ... I wish he'd stop getting older, the bastard's just dragging me along with him! :lol:
Other than the cake I'll be making my still nameless Chocolate Chip cookies. They're 2cm tall and as wide as my hand! :yow: God I can't wait, I have been craving them for ages but have been feeling like crap lately so I haven't made any lately.

Red velvet... cheesecake? Oh, my god that sounds AWESOME!

Went in to look for those white chocolate peppermint kisses... and Walmart was sold out! Grr...

Though I've been buying up flavored candycanes. So far, I have a box each of Sweet-Tarts, and Life Savers candy canes, though I don't think all of the Life Savers will make it on the tree, since I have an allergy to anything raspberry... and the last thing anyone wants is to spend Christmas in the ER with someone in the midst of anaphlaxis.

Desi: The original Cheesecake Factory is right in So. Cal., you should definitely pay a visit while you're in town!

I was never into cheesecake until I went to my uncle-in-law's house (he used to own part of a Cheesecake Factory), all I ever knew was the plain white cheesecake. But I got turned on to chocolate raspberry cheesecake, and never looked back! I would love to try the red velvet cheesecake! The Godiva chocolate cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory is to die for.

In fact, I need to get over to Barnes & Noble soon; this is the time of year they're usually selling the white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Yay!

The difference is that "throwback" uses the old-school formula of using cane sugar in the sodas. Maybe it's because I drink a lot of soda, but I can taste the difference and it's a lot better. I also notice this with the Dr. Peppers too. The Throwback ones taste the way I remember them!

I don't ever remember Mountain Dew tasting the same as the current formula used in the Throwbacks. Maybe I started drinking Mountain Dew after they stopped using the formula that is currently used in the Throwbacks.