Got a few ideas (mic placement / reamping)

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Fixed the link

Well first things first, I'm currently doing an Audio Engineering course, and thus have access to some pretty sweet gear / rooms, and have a recording assignment that I am tracking today. I've already tracked everything at home, mostly due to the fact that being a bass player, I'm not the worlds best guitarist but can get my tracks fairly tight at home with enough takes! Unfortunately this is not a luxury I have at uni considering I've only got 8 hours in the studio, thus I'm going to reamp as much as I can.

This is my mix with everything modelled at the moment, mostly so you can get an idea of what I'm on about.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7270929/Ballad ozone master 2.mp3

1. Clean guitars: The cleans in this song, have a lot of delay on them, just to give a shimmering sort of colour to them, as they are used just as kind of a background effect to give the sections a little more depth. I was going to reamp through a vintage Vox combo, using a mic technique that was used as a vocal mic technique on radiohead's Exit music for a film. The idea is you use a large diaphragm condenser close mic'd and a stereo pair of pencil condensers as ambient mics in a corridor like environment, I'm going to be using NT5's. The cool thing is, the rear wall of the corridor is glass, so I should get some crazy reflections with the delay from the original tracks.

2. Heavy guitars: I was going to reamp through a dual recto which is now unfortunetley unavailable... I have a vox 4x12 cab that my bands guitarist uses, but its mostly for recording cleans in studio. I was contemplating running the amp sim signal with the cab bypassed, into his head with the preamp bypassed, thus getting the simed signal to come through the cab and mic it fredman style using two 57's.

Has anyone tried this before? Will it sound terrible? If anything I think it is worth a shot, as I'm not fussed about using the simed tracks. I just wanted to get a second opinion on this idea.

i've never tried it, it's worth a try i guess but in the end you're just doing the same thing as using an impulse so it'd probably be easier and faster and sound better just to use impulses like ryan's fredman impulses

If the cab is decent then going amp sim into fx return of the amp and then mic'ing the cab should sound decent, I used to do this with my POD XT (Diamondplate model) and my Marshall DSL playing live and it sounded pretty good.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use amp sims, or I'd just use the damn impulse. It has to be miked up for the assignment. I reamped them last night, and it came out pretty well, I'll post some clips when I slide them into the mix!