Kick mic placement...

if you're gonna do a combo mic on the kick.....D6 3 to 4 inches away from batter....and yamaha subkick placed in front. the right blend of those two and you have your dream sound right there. you'll never trigger again.

yea, meant resonant... sorry... duh. workin' too many hours these days..:loco:

been there dude!

I always keep the D6 inside a few inches from the beater, until read Oz's guide recently and for the last two projects I have put it just inside the resonant head. The d6 doesn't seem to be nearly as picky about placement, it pretty much sounds great however you set it up.

I asked Steven Slate a bunch of questions about this, some/most of it has now allready been said here but here you go anyway!

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/343380-drummicing-question-mr-slate.html

interesting.. thanks for sharing that. he makes some really good points (he is the master, afterall...:kickass:)

i've heard of the "woofer mic" before. i simulate that with a send from the kick to MDA's subsynth in my DAW. sounds good, although i'm sure not as good as the real deal he's using. i also agree 100% with his statement about "the bleed of the snare in the overheads sounds good". i've only been recording drums for about a year now, but that keeps coming up in the mix as one of the truly important aspects. time spent up front before tracking to get this right adds a lot in the end, imo. i haven't been happy with my 57 on the snare either. may just try the i5 one of these days.

one topic i haven't seen too much about in this thread is what people are using to pad the inside of the kick. anyone care to share? i've found that can make a pretty big difference too - especially the boom or thud. I believe Oz addresses this as well. i've tried everything from blankets to pillows. ended up with a couch pillow (of which my wife's still looking for...:lol:). it's pretty dense and lays nicely in the bottom curve of the drum. sometimes i wonder, though, it it isn't "too" dense and absorbing some of that nice "boom".

The best sound ive got so far using a d112 is by putting the mic as close to the beater as possible, angled slightly upright, i am eager to try and an audix 6 mic though and see the difference.

I'm going to go ahead and try this the next time I track since I hate that mic at the moment.

How to you get that big bastard inside the drum?

Stick it in facing down, then angle it once it's inside - took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out when using one at school :lol: Still, I tried it right up next to the beater head, and found it sucked all the thump out of it; my best results were similar to everyone else, stuck straight in the hole about halfway, pointing at the beater (but off axis of it cuz the hole is rarely cut in a straight line from the beater)

Oh yeah, I really wasn't fond of it on kick either - WAY too pillowy. But it was the only kick mic available and that was the way we were able to coax the best sound out of it, so I managed!

...btw, have you tried the mics at the bottom of the drum? I was mixing this g-n-r'ish band live and because I was a lazy bastard, I just popped D112 in without a micstand, just the mic laying on its side at the bottom of the drum on the foam, approximately at the middle of the drum.

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/14_Mental_Fix.mp3 and http://www.myspace.com/piecemakerband -> Service Ball... the sound is the same stuff that came out from the mixing consoles main outs, no further mixing involved, thats why the guitar/synth balance is what it is, the guitars came pretty loud from the stage compared to synth ;)

I'm going to go ahead and try this the next time I track since I hate that mic at the moment.

How to you get that big bastard inside the drum?

Its easiest to either cut a big hole in your front bass skin to allow you to get in out of it, or just take the thing off completely, i find that a pillow resting on the skin helps the sound too.