Growl voice method

Ok. I'm working on the low pitched one, but can anyone give me info on how to do the more high pitched screams??? Like Corpsegrinder in Cannibal Corpse, or any black metal. That just hurts. My throat goes raw in like 5 seconds flat and i lose my voice for a second. And the transitions are impossible.

Essentialy you've got to master the low growls first. Slowly practice raising your pitch (from gutteral, to say, melodic death metal style singing) and then just keep pushing it. The black metal screeches are basicaly acheived by constricting your throat and tightening your vocal chords. I dont think there's any magic 'sing from the guts' technique for black metal... it just hurts until your throat gets stronger...

I just use alot of air from my stomach. I play french horn and trumpet, so it's natural for me now. I have this high pitched scream and I take in alot of air and scream m balls off. And you thought Dani Filth had a high pitched scream.:D

mysweetdeath said:
I just use alot of air from my stomach. I play french horn and trumpet, so it's natural for me now. I have this high pitched scream and I take in alot of air and scream m balls off. And you thought Dani Filth had a high pitched scream.:D
i know what ya mean, i play tuba
i have a growl that works fine for me, i'll ask mikael if i'm doing it right when i see him in february, heh
but for melodic death metal
the higher pitched ones...
try saying 'yahhhhhhhhhhh"
might wanna tighten up your throat up a little:yell:
and don't try it when you're sick, i about died from coughing
a guy from a local death metal band said to get the volume loud before you get the exact growl you want, but able to growl as loud as you can yell across a room
i pretty much learned from nile and opeth
using opeth's serenity painted death mostly

it is quite hard to explain on the internet

well...you can do that
just go like
ooooooooyahhhhhhhhhhh
make your mouth broader, till you get the concept
a basic answer
its what you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino

hey prozac mind posting an mp3 or two of you growling?
you sound as if you know what you are talking about!
(make sure to talk normally as well as growl so I can hear what your advice could do for me)

I tried screaming (you know, as in sing-screaming) yesterday. I experimented alot untill I found something that might be right... By tensing up my belly, yelling really hard and doing something with my mouth/throat I got this really weird screaming sound. It was very loud (I hope my neighbours didn't hear it :loco: ) but it also sounded very uncontrolled. Do you have any idea if I'm on the right track? I felt like something between my belly and my longs was making the sound gurgle (?) a little. But I really had to tighten up my belly hard and I had to scream pretty loud...

so do u push ur stomache out when u growl or in???
i can do the growls but i never knew it could fuck up ur throat
so is it while ur inhaling or exhaling and do u push ur stomach in or out??

I had a friend once who had a great growl. He would order food at the drivethru with it.

"Nuuummberrrrrrr twoooooooooo coooommbbbboooooooo wiiiuuuttthh aaaa laaarrrrgggee cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookkkke!!!!!!"

He would also sing Carpenters songs with it. Picture Mike singing "Close To You".

Fade to Black said:
so do u push ur stomache out when u growl or in???
i can do the growls but i never knew it could fuck up ur throat
so is it while ur inhaling or exhaling and do u push ur stomach in or out??

I don't understand what you mean by pushing my stomach in or out... I tense up the muscles in my "belly-area" and then scream while exhaling. Then there is like something that "triggers" which makes the sound harsh. That thing does not trigger when I don't tense up those muscles.

for me its just practicing... the best practice is going to death metal shows and growling along... thats how i do it.... now i can get through almost all of a gig without pain