guitar advice

Oct 8, 2005
can anyone recommend a good guitar for a beginner-to-moderate player. I'm looking for one on the lower end of the price range. what should I expect to pay for a guitar?

the last one I bought lasted a good while, and was cheap (like 150 or something), but truthfully it had too many problems. one thing that I didn't like at all was that the strings were too high off the fretboard, making me press harder. when i played my more experienced friends' guitars, i realized that guitars shouldn't be that way.

I've played electric mostly, and already have an amp, so I'd probably buy an electric, but if there is a good electric acoustic i'd look into that too.
Would I be able to find one in the $300 range?

can anyone recommend a good guitar for a beginner-to-moderate player. I'm looking for one on the lower end of the price range. what should I expect to pay for a guitar?

You can find them for 200-300 bucks.

the last one I bought lasted a good while, and was cheap (like 150 or something), but truthfully it had too many problems. one thing that I didn't like at all was that the strings were too high off the fretboard, making me press harder. when i played my more experienced friends' guitars, i realized that guitars shouldn't be that way.

That is fixed by taking it to a competent luthier or guitar tech or friend who knows his stuff for a setup. If after a pro setup the guitar still feels awkward to play, then yes, it's shit. Otherwise it might be just improperly set up.

I've played electric mostly, and already have an amp, so I'd probably buy an electric, but if there is a good electric acoustic i'd look into that too.

I believe so, yes.

arx320tks.jpg

$444 i was about to buy but i spent my money in things more important.

This. GRG270 is the one I started playing with and and it was really good for it's price.

EDIT: When you have your guitar set up try to be present and learn as much as possible then gradually start taking care of things on your own. There's nothing like knowing your way around guitar and fixing stuff yourself.

I learned the hard way (by myself from the very beginning) but it became much more rewarding sfter.

i have an epiphone les paul, it was about 600 bucks, i know that's more money than you're thinking about spending but i've had it for years and i'm really happy with it

(Found another thread for gt6.)

^
although you have the googly eyes,
i think that that is a good plan.
I suppose it depends how dedicated you are to the instrument.

I got a good epiphone les paul on ebay for 400, but honestly you should just set up what you have if you want the cheapest option for a good guitar.

I wouldnt really recommend Epiphonei surely it sounds better than Ibanez on a same price level but it is not Gibson and I dont think its worth buying, I would go with Ibanez and with 24 frets! (dunno if they have 24 fret guitars on that price range)

Gibson is mostly more expensive than Epiphone because of the label, there's not that much difference in the actual guitars. And there's no reason you have to have 24 frets, especially at that level.

Gibson is mostly more expensive than Epiphone because of the label, there's not that much difference in the actual guitars.

lol, epiphones are made in China using lower quality wood and pickups while Gibsons are made in USA. the leap in quality is huge between most models.

Gibson is mostly more expensive than Epiphone because of the label, there's not that much difference in the actual guitars. And there's no reason you have to have 24 frets, especially at that level.
I presume you havent played a Gibson or an Epiphone or you dont have any taste or ear whatsoever. I wont go further..

Well in the future he will be looking for the 24th fret though in fact it is dependant on what you will play but if for example you are a John Petrucci fan like me, you will need it.

24th fret is great, expand ur pitch range. especially in metal, where the guitar is the highest pitched instrument (unless ur in judas priest)