guitar advice

even tho the two obviously are very alike theyre also very different. some would suggest you to start on an acoustic, personally id say electric. you can do much on an acoustic other than striking random chords as a beginner. on an electric you can learn some basic melodies and get to used to moving around the fretboard and basically just get comfortable with the guitar. after some time you might wanna get a crappy classical or a 100 dollar steel stringed. but yea, in a nutshell (imo) acoustic is boring unless youre good at finger picking which you wont be good at as a beginner which will lead to you getting bored of playing guitar and then quit.

whats best to learn on, electric or acoustic?

Personally I would definitely go with electric guitar.

First electric guitar lets you go up the frets way more easily, the fretboard is much more comfortable, you can go either fingerpicking or picking with a pick, since the strings are metal you can pick with your skin no nails needed, also its smaller so you will feel better with it in your arms.

If you are learning from the start I would recommend you to study fingerpicking a lot because many people tend to abandon fingerpicking altogether once they advance in normal picking..

whats best to learn on, electric or acoustic?

I'd say acoustic. The necks are bigger and wider, requiring you to learn to stretch more. It will also teach you very good picking technique and tone - you can't hide bum notes on an acoustic like you can on an electric with distortion. When I'm learning new songs (within reason) I play on acoustic. Then when I play it on electric its stupidly easy, because I'm used to playing it on the more difficult acoustic.

I have had an Epiphone LP for the last few years. and it's fuckin awesome to be honest.
quality-schmality! I find it just as good as a Gibson.
I'm gettin an LTD Eclipse though.

the only correct answer is to go to a music store and try out a whole bunch of guitars through an amp similar to your own. listening to the recommendations of a bunch of people on a message board gets you nowhere since everybody prefers something different. whether it's a thicker neck, or more/less frets, or a tremolo vs. no tremolo, or different woods for different tones etc.

and remember that one persons' guitar through their dual rec rig will not sound the same through your 10w practice amp and vice versa. you could go buy a $3000 custom shop esp but if you're playing through a 10w fender practice amp, it's gonna sound like shit no matter what.

^its not that people are talking random.. if you look at the previous posts I advised electric guitar because it is easier and the other guy just the opposite, acoustic becuase it is harder. now biggsy at least has an opinion of what to look at and can choose his method, start with hard and improve slow but solid or vice versa..

I presume you havent played a Gibson or an Epiphone or you dont have any taste or ear whatsoever. I wont go further..

Well in the future he will be looking for the 24th fret though in fact it is dependant on what you will play but if for example you are a John Petrucci fan like me, you will need it.

First of all, I play both quite often, guess I'm completely deaf :rolleyes:

Secondly, why the fuck would anyone at his level be playing John Petrucci covers anyway. Sure you could say "24 still > 22 no matter what" - but the fact is, a lot of great guitars come with 22 frets (les pauls, strats, etc.) whereas most 24 fret guitars are designed for metal wankery.

^its not that people are talking random.. if you look at the previous posts I advised electric guitar because it is easier and the other guy just the opposite, acoustic becuase it is harder. now biggsy at least has an opinion of what to look at and can choose his method, start with hard and improve slow but solid or vice versa..

erm, that has nothing to do with my post. at all. OP was asking for recommendations on guitars and I advised him to go check a bunch out at a local guitar store through an amp similar to his own.

the same could be said for the acoustic vs. electric argument. go check it out at your local store and see what feels better to you.

it's not rocket science.

and btw 24 frets really isn't necessary for anything other than lead wanking. as lateralus said, most guitars come standard with 22 frets (ie LPs, strats, etc). surely the extra 2 frets REALLY won't make much of a difference, especially when you can just bend the string up the 2 notes or hit harmonics or use the tremolo or whatever other tricks you want? amiriteoramirite.

it doesnt really matter which feels better for me, i was more asking whether its better to learn on acoustic or electric. ill eventually do both i guess but to start with im not aware of which is the best to learn on.

Acoustic is harder, so that will be more rewarding if you ever intend to be flexible and play both. Electric is easier so if that's the route you want to go, it'll be less bumpy.

The good thing about an electric guitar is you can get such a diversity of sounds to come from the one instrument/amp, so i'd personally opt for a guitar that's dynamic rather than a 'metal' guitar. I won't suggest any because i don't usually play cheaper guitars, but the guitar Kenneth suggested seems to get a good write-up...

erm, that has nothing to do with my post. at all. OP was asking for recommendations on guitars and I advised him to go check a bunch out at a local guitar store through an amp similar to his own.

the same could be said for the acoustic vs. electric argument. go check it out at your local store and see what feels better to you.

it's not rocket science.

and btw 24 frets really isn't necessary for anything other than lead wanking. as lateralus said, most guitars come standard with 22 frets (ie LPs, strats, etc). surely the extra 2 frets REALLY won't make much of a difference, especially when you can just bend the string up the 2 notes or hit harmonics or use the tremolo or whatever other tricks you want? amiriteoramirite.

Store advice was valuable I am not whoring about that, but "you dont need to listen to a bunch of people on a message board bla bla" thing didnt seem very nice as if we were talking stupidly without arguments.. (and if you note that people having similary reasonings also supports me here)

About 24 fret issue, I was thinking the same when I bought my guitar which is Ibanez S470, now after some time I want to do that metal wankering because I am constantly in a habit of pushing forward instead of memorizing lots of easy passages. As a Petrucci fan I tried (miserably:erk:) playing his stuff but always 24th fret is there, so I am now looking for a 24th fret guitar and becuase of that I advised him to buy a 24 fret guitar. I guess it wasnt such a stupid advice after all because a 24 fret guitar has also 22 frets (knock knock:Smokedev:)

Acoustic is harder, so that will be more rewarding if you ever intend to be flexible and play both. Electric is easier so if that's the route you want to go, it'll be less bumpy.

how is acoustic harder? usually youll finger pick which a totally different technique that wont really help your electric guitar picking technique at all. when on alot of gain on your electric guitar every mistake you make will be 10x more obvious and you got to learn how to mute properly, something that isnt as necessary on an acoustic. you barely ever bend on an acoustic, vibrato isnt remotely as important as on an electric, legato isnt used as much; all these techniques take many years to fully master.

legato techniques and embellishments are much harder on acoustic therefore it is harder to play

if you are getting an electric, get an archtop, they pwn. joe pass emperor II ftw

101194o_EPE_joe_pass_emperor_II.jpg

to be honest biggsy, if u want to play electric, learn electric. if you want to play acoustic, learn acoustic. go test em out if you want, they have different sounds, ofc if you are going to play ampless and with ur fingers go with the acoustic (pick the nylon strings though, not the steel - they suck.)

imo, no amount of practise in acoustic will substitute for practise on electric, if you are looking to be skilled at electric. it can help because differences in the guitars (classical guitars have thicker fretboards therefore making it easier to play chords, softer strings for nails etc) but if you want to be a great electric player, pick up an electric first.

then again im not a store owner or instructor, this is just how it worked for me.

^This was maybe the most sensible post. thumbs up
However I would never ever pick nylon strings over steel strings, they are hard to play with skin and I hate long nails.. If you are a fan of nylon string sound then its a different story..

legato techniques and embellishments are much harder on acoustic therefore it is harder to play

if you are getting an electric, get an archtop, they pwn. joe pass emperor II ftw

not really harder, just takes more finger strength but on the other hand less muting.