help with portable music

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
yeah, i heard they got this newfangeled thing called DIGIT-ALL and you can listen to yer music without tapes!

seriously, what do i need if i just wanna upload my cds to the computer and download them (or whatever the fuck you call it) to an mp3 player (or whatever). basically, i want my wife and i to be able to listen to music while we run or grocery shop or whathaveyou.
what do i need?

thanks

either get a harddrive mp3 player like the ipod or better yet one of its cheaper, less fashionable clones -- these are like 20-40 Gb usually which is SHITLOADS OF MUSIC

+ fits more songs
- physically larger
- expensive

or one that comes with flash memory such as my IRIVER IFP700 (1 Gb)

+ small & lightweight!
+ cheap!
- fits fewer songs

your pick

ok, so what do i get?

btw: i went in the apple store at the mall....for about 2 seconds and immediately walked out. i decided 1)i wasnt atrsy/emo enough and 2)i could kill everyone in the store with my bare hands if i wanted to

dorian gray said:
thanks erik. any recommended brands?
i can recommend my iriver thing (got it for jew-mass) cause it seems to work just dandy so far, and it supports OGG and WMA in addition to MP3 which can be real handy. 1 Gb amounts to about 200 songs or so

but you know, i don't really know much about the alternatives, except that if 1 Gb is too small, you need to look into hd players (and spending more cash)

so im right about uploading my cds and then dowloading them to the player? is that how it works? is it something thats gonna piss me off or is it real user friendly?

the iriver thing comes with a really gay flowery software where you just insert your cds and press a god damn button and put on a pot of coffee and then it's done.

Claws of Perdition said:
its real easy man, their are a few ways you can do it, via the the software that comes with it or, find the device in my computer(assuming you use windows here) and drag and drop will work also.

Edit: damn you Erik, to slow.
yeah the thing about the iriver thing is that BY DEFAULT it will NOT actually show up as a "removable disk" in "my computer" because it's not a standard USB mass storage device. you CAN, and i DID, install an alternate firmware called UMS that converts the device into a standard USB mass storage device so you can NOT use the software that comes with it, but instead you get to use it as any ol' disk drive in the OS of your choice. i pretty much had to do this since i run linux...

but if you use windows and want things to just be EASY then just go with the standard firmware and install the software that comes with it. you don't have to make it difficult

MadeInNewJersey said:
Erik, would you say that the % of your posts that mention making or drinking coffee is greater than or less than 73%

:lol:
funny thing is i don't even drink mass quantities of coffee... like two cups a day!

dorian gray said:
ok, so what do i get?

btw: i went in the apple store at the mall....for about 2 seconds and immediately walked out. i decided 1)i wasnt atrsy/emo enough and 2)i could kill everyone in the store with my bare hands if i wanted to

:lol: .... the frail arts type is the salesperson of choice at Apple ...

although I am in the process of closing a 5 figure deal (crossing fingers) with a client using the new video iPods ... so i cannot bitch at their features

frail artsy type. classic.

good luck with the sale. wife is in sales. i understand.

Erik said:
yeah the thing about the iriver thing is that BY DEFAULT it will NOT actually show up as a "removable disk" in "my computer" because it's not a standard USB mass storage device. you CAN, and i DID, install an alternate firmware called UMS that converts the device into a standard USB mass storage device so you can NOT use the software that comes with it, but instead you get to use it as any ol' disk drive in the OS of your choice. i pretty much had to do this since i run linux...

but if you use windows and want things to just be EASY then just go with the standard firmware and install the software that comes with it. you don't have to make it difficult

Thats why you don't buy any Mp3 player that has an "I" at the start of the name and your fine.

is apple's shit made in the usa? if not, where is it made?
i want to get an mp3 player but im fucking done buying shit made in other countries (no offense to you non-americans). anybody got an mp3 player that doesnt say "made by slaves in china/pakistan/india/etc etc"? i know the odds are slim but its worth a shot. if i cant find one, ill go without.