How do you back up your music and How often do you buy music

WINTER TYRANT

Jan 24, 2008
I have searched for ways to back up entire music collections and have not found anything, so how do you back up your collection? Also...how often do you purchase music and how much do you buy?

Me: i get a cd and I'll load it onto my computer, then i'll burn it to listen to, put the original in my case and then burn it again onto an Archival Gold disc for extremely long life and i dont listen to the archival gold. As for my vinyl i just make sure they dont get too hot so they dont warp.I usually buy about four cd's or vinyls a month which gives me about a week to listen to each before the new one arrives.

So how do you do it?

I buy music a lot, especially recently.

I also download a lot. When I buy something I had previously had on mp3, I delete the mp3s and keep the CD.

Why not keep the mp3s on the hard drive?

I upload all my cds on my hard drive. I download also, less than I buy though.

I have searched for ways to back up entire music collections and have not found anything, so how do you back up your collection?
Me: i get a cd and I'll load it onto my computer, then i'll burn it to listen to, put the original in my case and then burn it again onto an Archival Gold disc for extremely long life and i dont listen to the archival gold.
No offense, but that sounds a little anal...
I don't. I have my CDs, and I have everything on my PC, and that's it.

Why not keep the mp3s on the hard drive?

I upload all my cds on my hard drive. I download also, less than I buy though.

Because I like continuously discovering new good music, and it frees up space to do this. I can almost guarantee I'd have a couple hard drives filled given how many CDs I have (~300 I think).

Ya its pretty anal. After speaking with my friend at a camera shop about the life expectancy of a disc and finding out it was any where from 2-10 years i started wondering, he showed me the archival golds and then i started doing research:

How long can I expect my CDs/DVDs to last?

CD/DVD experiential life expectancy is 2 to 5 years even though published life expectancies are often cited as 10 years, 25 years, or longer. However, a variety of factors discussed in the sources cited in FAQ 15, below, may result in a much shorter life span for CDs/DVDs. Life expectancies are statistically based; any specific medium may experience a critical failure before its life expectancy is reached. Additionally, the quality of your storage environment may increase or decrease the life expectancy of the media. We recommend testing your media at least every two years to assure your records are still readable.

I got this from a major cd manufacture, they had a list of frequently asked questions. Some of my earlier disc I've bought when i was first getting into metal years back have crapped out on me. The foil medium that is in the cd starts to pit over time(depending on climate and humidity) and the Archival Golds are guaranteed to last three hundred years(I know overkill) without getting damaged, this is because they use some gold pieces in their discs. Even the sharpies that i used to write the bands name on blanks are corrosive. I am no expert in this subject but have read a bunch of articles on the lifespan of discs. So ya i may be anal and it may or may not be for a good reason but i dont want to take the chance

I've been backing up a lot of my cds to my computer lately. when I think the music collection on the computer is getting a little out of hand, I move it to the external hard-drive...also since my computer is getting old and senile.

I thought proper-to-decent care is supposed to ensure your CDs to last a really long time (aka a lot more than 2 to 5 years).

I have no consistent way to download or burn, so I use all first copies and attempt to take care of them. My computer was made circa 1974, so the CD player consistently craps out and the burner is shot. Plus there's almost no memory, so downloading es no bueno. If a CD messes up on me, I just have to wait and buy it again.

I buy one CD every Monday after I make my credit card payment.

I thought proper-to-decent care is supposed to ensure your CDs to last a really long time (aka a lot more than 2 to 5 years).

Ya it will trust me... In cool and dry conditions and if they are stored upright not lying down they will last for quite a while(5-10) at least but i just do it to make sure. damn...every monday, i wish i could do that. I try for at least 4 a month but when they are coming from other countries...well you know how that can be:erk: