How do you listen to your music?

I haven't been responding angrily until now. I am not upset about the fact you guys keep being pricks, I am just annoyed, fucking stop already.

So if you aren't upset about us being pricks then why ask us to stop :rolleyes: ? (note the correct usage of the rolleyes)

I'm an expert on these matters, so listen up and listen good - I'll try to keep this simple but it won't be easy, because I am an expert, as I mentioned previously.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

I listen on mediocre speakers with my laptop and mediocre headphones through an iPod Nano. When I am more permanently settled I will invest in good speakers. But honestly my hearing is so bad that I'm hardly fussed about it.

I'm an expert on these matters, so listen up and listen good - I'll try to keep this simple but it won't be easy, because I am an expert, as I mentioned previously.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

FLAC files are fucking huge as hell... And personally, I don't think its all that big of a deal. Eventually I'm going to have to buy CDs of the albums that I really like. OR better yet, try to store more WAV files which are better.

My stereo often makes records sound more "muddy", like all instruments are mushed together while my mp3-player makes the instruments stand out more on their own. Both has its advantages depending on the production of the album.
Yep, it's the same for me; of course not for all records.

I just clearly don't understand people sometimes. Why can't we all just fucking move on.

Women move on, but men will love forever ldo

Also, I'd like to say that every time Chimaira posts a thread I feel like he's trying to figure this whole being a metalhead thing out. To which I react with a mix of sympathy, brotherly love, facepalm, and lolage.

I usually burn flac files with dbpoweramp on my main pc then I listen to them with headphones from my pcs or mp3 players. however, i've recently started using my crappy 100+ watt cd playing rig again and am now thinking about buying some monitor speakers/amp for my pc cause metal sounds so much better with speakers than with headphones

Of course. It depends on the albums production and the stereos and headphones sound quality (better bass, worse tremble etc).

My stereo often makes rcords sound more "muddy", like all instruemnts are mushed together while my mp3-player makes the isntruments stand out more on their own. Both has its advantages depending on the production of the album.

Get a better stereo. This is not true when you have good gear, swear on my life. Headphones never image properly or realistically, and the ones that do are trying their very best not to sound like headphones at all. A good stereo gives you the soundstage and separation you think you are getting well with headphones, but actually gives the instruments and voices BODY and front to back depth.

hahahahaha

You think I'm joking aren't you?

All my MP3s used to sound good. They sound like fucking shit now. Want to know why? Mother fucking rotational velocidensity. The fucking bytes literally FLEW OFF MY FUCKING DISK. All my mp3 files sound like fucking ass bagpipes now. FUCK! I should of just went with FLAC when I had the chance.

You think I'm joking aren't you?

All my MP3s used to sound good. They sound like fucking shit now. Want to know why? Mother fucking rotational velocidensity. The fucking bytes literally FLEW OFF MY FUCKING DISK. All my mp3 files sound like fucking ass bagpipes now. FUCK! I should of just went with FLAC when I had the chance.

I probably have a shitload of MP3s on my drive. I'm gona try to find a way to convert them all so they don't get lossy. Don't know if thats possible. To try to convert them all at once >.>