How is Slipknot not metal?

Harp Heaven

Culture Vulture
Jun 14, 2002
Okay. I get the impression from this board that people here don`t consider Slipknot a metal band. Actually, people here don`t consider Dimmu Borgir a metal band, but I`m digressing. Now, I must admit that I`m not a fan of Slipknot, their songs are pretty monotone and the lyrics are inane, but to me it sounds pretty darn heavy, though it`s not up there with the various extreme metal bands, I see no reason why it should not be called metal. Remember, whether you think it is good or not has nothing to do with the definition, so no "they bl0w" or "it sux" comments please.

What I want you to do, is explain why you don`t consider Slipknot a metal band. Take a listen to "Surfacing" as an example.

I agree that Slipknot are indeed metal. This board has had this discussion so many times I want to eat my own poop just to take my mind of it. Nobody can come up with a good definition for metal. Everybody has their own. It's pointless.

ofcourse their metal, just not true metal
I agree. They have no mention of the following words in their lyrics:

Power, thunder, glory, steel, iron, warriors, sword, battle

thus they cannot be True Metal.

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
Then WHAT makes a band metal???

Fans. They are the end-all, be-all of what makes a band metal or not. Brutality has nothing to do with it. Slipknot are eons heavier than Katatonia, yet Katatonia is considered metal and Slipknot are not?

Again, it comes down to the fans.

Again, it comes down to the fans.
:eek:
What?!!?!? So when Metallica and Slayer was popular with the teens in the 80`s, those two bands were not metal? That seems like a fallacious theory if you ask me. Would you care to explain your position a bit more?

Slipknot are metal.

Everybody hates them because they act like morons, and because they're in the mainstream, and because their version of metal sucks (you might disagree..). Not because they aren't metal.

Okay. Thanks for explaining. I do see a lot of comments around here along the lines of "Slipknot isn`t metal", "Dimmu Borgir isn`t metal", "Tool isn`t metal", "Cradle of Filth isn`t metal", "everything that isn`t obscure swiss deathhatekillerblackerthanblack metal isn`t metal" though, and I want to know why the people those comments originate from think that way.

About your signature: Are those lines real?

I would call Slipknot metal.... I was a big fan of the band back in 1999 but I've kinda lost interest in them... The s/t was more like nu-metal, but I think IOWA is a pretty good "metal" album...

slipknot are nu-metal, what's the fucking problem, they don't have the complexety of most other metal bands, or true metal bands.
And harp dude, why do you get so fucking pissed, doz it really matter if other ppl don't like them or not eaven consider them metal, isn't the important thing that you enjoy their music not what other ppl think?
They have a DJ and 4 drummer, that's not Black,Death,Folk,Thrash,Industrial,Goth,Power,Progressive,Speed,or eaven Harcore or those i forgott, their nu-metal.

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
Okay. Thanks for explaining. I do see a lot of comments around here along the lines of "Slipknot isn`t metal", "Dimmu Borgir isn`t metal", "Tool isn`t metal", "Cradle of Filth isn`t metal", "everything that isn`t obscure swiss deathhatekillerblackerthanblack metal isn`t metal" though, and I want to know why the people those comments originate from think that way.

About your signature: Are those lines real?

I don't think it matters whether a band is metal. If I like a band, I like them, whether they're metal or not. It just so happens that most bands I like tend to be metal, but this is just my personal taste.

And yup, unfortunately, the quotes in my signutare are real. :lol:

Originally posted by BadStitching
They have a DJ and 4 drummer, that's not Black,Death,Folk,Thrash,Industrial,Goth,Power,Progressive,Speed,or eaven Harcore or those i forgott, their nu-metal.

Does that mean that every nu metal band has 4 drummers and a DJ then ?

they don't have the complexety of most other metal bands
Like what bands?
or true metal bands.
What exactly is true metal? I associate those words with bands like Manowar and Hammerfall, who can`t exactly be labeled as "complex".
And harp dude, why do you get so fucking pissed, doz it really matter if other ppl don't like them or not eaven consider them metal, isn't the important thing that you enjoy their music not what other ppl think?
Sharpen your reading comprehension skills. I do NOT like Slipknot, I just want to know why people don`t consider them metal. You say that they are nu-metal. Then what exactly are you disagreeing with? Nu-metal is just another sub-type of metal.

yeah, that what i said, i said they were metal, ti wasn't argueing.
True metal is a more complex type of metal beacuse they use advanced scales and the riffs are often harder, but this depends, true metal bands also tend to use more riffs amd less power chors, and true metal bands use solos more.