How is Slipknot not metal?

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
The most valid of them all being that the 'KnOT!! (how fucking gay) sucks...

Bout as gay as people calling Motley Crue "The Crue." Which is to say, very.:D

And I do consider Slipknot metal. Not very good metal, but I do enjoy listening to them sometimes.

I also think Slipknot could classify as a "gateway" band, so to speak. Meaning that a lot of the kids who are listening to Slipknot today will be listening to heavier shit tomorrow. That's how I became a metalhead. Say what you will, Slipknot is one of the more brutal of the Mallcore bands, and I got into them, and after that, my musical tastes got, well, brutaler.:D

All in all, this has to be the most civilized Slipknot discussion I've ever seen on this board

Originally posted by union9
I love the first album. Iowa was a bit dissapointing but has some brutal tracks. People=Shit for instance. Slipknot ARE fucking METAL. End of discussion.

cough you like the second album cough

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
Yeah, it probably will. It`s interesting to hear what people have to say though.

Btw, hva er bildet i signaturen din? Om jeg ikke husker feil, er ikke det symbolet i bakgrunnen logoen til Vigrid eller Valkyrie, de to høyreekstremistiske bevegelsene. Er du tilhenger av disse, eller har du bare bilden for sjokkeffekten? :confused:

fant det bildet på en black metal side.. Er jo et sånt white power kors opplegg, men jeg tok bilder pga av dama og ikke symbolet... Er ikke tilhenger nei...hehe

I'd actually say they have a bit more to do with grind (which, mind you, is a punk sub-genre) than metal... mostly in the simplistic riffs, detuned guitars, "groovy" drums, and shouted rather than growled vocals. I'd definitely say they're at least something along the lines of metal, though. Anyone that says they're blatantly not metal is a dumb ass :)

Originally posted by plfffffft

And I do consider Slipknot metal. Not very good metal, but I do enjoy listening to them sometimes.

I also think Slipknot could classify as a "gateway" band, so to speak. Meaning that a lot of the kids who are listening to Slipknot today will be listening to heavier shit tomorrow. That's how I became a metalhead. Say what you will, Slipknot is one of the more brutal of the Mallcore bands, and I got into them, and after that, my musical tastes got, well, brutaler.:D

All in all, this has to be the most civilized Slipknot discussion I've ever seen on this board

fuck you, motley crue are gods, they are more true to their music than any of the shit mentioned in this post..

Originally posted by Dreamlord
I never mentioned popularity. The way fans perceive their favorite bands is a powerful tool. Lets not forget, the late 80's and early 90's were Metal's heyday.

For example, Carcass was at the top of their game with Necroticism, then slowed it down for Heartwork, then became death n' roll with Swansong. The fans, perceiving that their band had gone soft, started slagging the band. It's all about fan prejudice.

In Flames is another example. Many claim that Reroute to Remain is not metal anymore, but clearly it is if you rate metal by brutality or heaviness. Another example of fan prejudice.

Also, fans seem to perceive the mainstream as something taboo. Any band in the mainstream cannot be metal, they say. Slipknot is mainstream, therefore, they are not metal according to some people.

Like someone said, something being metal depends on your definition. But in the end, it comes down to the fans.

You've just hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.

Originally posted by epi5ode666
shows how much you know thick shit,
self titled album wasn't there first album, make feed kill repeat 'or woteva it woz called was' and people=shit an loads of there other stuff is just a rip off of songs they did pre-corey, with andreas... so where it comes to metal,
they certainly are metal just a shallow, popular, version of poo-metal...

selftitled album was good before it got boring, il give em that..

I was waiting for this post. I knew some moron would retaliate with his/her know all knowledge. I fuckinfg know it wasn't their first album, but was the first to gain popular world wide recognition. I'll try and be more specific next time so as not to fuel some snot nosed little faggits pathetic argument like this has.

heh...(as you'll prolly guessed...unless you're stupid) I personally don't think they're metal .....nu-metal, sure but not metal IMO. That's not stating i hate them or anything. I thoroughly like their first album (MFKR)...and i can listen to some of their other shit too from time to time. However i consider them to be more hard rock then anything.

P.S. Nobody should get offended by my name, it's said in a jokingly way ...you'd be surprised how many great PM's it gets me :D

Originally posted by BTK
fant det bildet på en black metal side.. Er jo et sånt white power kors opplegg, men jeg tok bilder pga av dama og ikke symbolet... Er ikke tilhenger nei...hehe
Takk for det! Hater de nazi-jævlene, de er verre enn pesten og setter terskelen enda lavere for "rasisme". Dama ville sikkert vært ok hvis hun hadde tatt av seg gassmaska :D Hvor bor du?
fuck you, motley crue are gods, they are more true to their music than any of the shit mentioned in this post..
Relax. Don`t make this turn into a flamewar. It`s been clean so far, let`s keep it that way.
No, nu metal is just a stupid labeling for modern hard rock. People say all these bands like staind and incubus are nu metal, but how do they have ANY resemblance to the term "metal"?
This is fallacious. You claim that nu-metal has no resemblance to the "term" metal. Well, according to dictionary.com, it is:

heavy metal
n.

1. A metal with a specific gravity greater than about 5.0, especially one that is poisonous, such as lead or mercury.
2. Music. Very loud, brash rock music, often with shouted, violent lyrics.

This applies to a good deal of nu-metal bands, including sLiPkNoT and System of a Down. According to your term, it might not be, but the official term supports the labeling of nu-metal as "metal".

Oh, and Dreamlord, your post was very good. Probably the best so far in this thread.

Originally posted by plfffffft

Word and true, dude. I agree on the silly shortening of the name (The Crue, The Knot, The Stench, etc). Acronyms are one thing, but that "The ____" is silly. There's a great little article on that in Infernal Combustion...check it out if you havent already. "Whats next? Calling Immolation 'Immo'?!" LOL! Its a riot. www.infernalcombustion.com

Anyhoo, much agreed on the gateway band thing. Glam metal was a gateway to Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax for me when I was a wee lad, and thrash was a gateway to my current Death/Black Metal leanings. People seem to lose sight of the gateway thing a lot of times. Good to see you brought it up.

Originally posted by Vienyard
Word and true, dude. I agree on the silly shortening of the name (The Crue, The Knot, The Stench, etc). Acronyms are one thing, but that "The ____" is silly.

Yeah....I seem to remember Ulrich calling Metallica, The 'tallica, or some shit....heheh, crazy lady....

Thank god my band name wont work by doing that. The band is called Epicurean, and if someone said "The Curean" I wouldnt even be able to punch them in the face, because I'd be laughing so hard at the absurdity of it!!

Originally posted by epi5ode666

dude, I wasn't making fun of Motley Crue, I was making fun of the people that call them "The Crue" I actually like Motley Crue a lot.