How Popular is vintersorg actually?

Apr 8, 2005
Hey all.
These are questions I've been thinking about for a while now and since theres no where to find out about Vintersorg I gotta do it here. So anyways it doesnt matter to me how popular vintersorg actually is but the thing that annoys me is like how amazing artists such as himself dont get recognized but talentless slutty girls do, and then I heard somewhere that Vintersorg actually works fulltime as well as doing all these sideprojects which really annoyed me because the people that actually care about music dont get any reward for there efforts.
So anyways how many units have you actually sold worldwide mr V?

(off topic question guys: how do I make my location show up under my avatar?)

The success of those girls you mentioned probably won`t last, when they`re not good musicians. But people who write good music such as Vintersorg, stay known in the music business in a longer term of time. Even if the record sales don´t feed you. But people will still listen to his music in many many years. There´s one thing I can tell you about the "popularity" of Vintersorg (even if it has nothing to do with sales numbers):
Where ever I was and mentioned Vintersorg among the bands I like, there´s never been anyone saying: "Äh... not my kind, sorry" or "I don`t like that" ... but it has always been: "Oh yeah, good music" or "Unique style... cool" or whatever. You just don`t have to be ashamed to mention the bands name, no matter where you are... you know. Seems that everyone respects "Mr.V" as an outstanding musician.

Twilightheart said:
The success of those girls you mentioned probably won`t last, when they`re not good musicians. But people who write good music such as Vintersorg, stay known in the music business in a longer term of time. Even if the record sales don´t feed you. But people will still listen to his music in many many years. There´s one thing I can tell you about the "popularity" of Vintersorg (even if it has nothing to do with sales numbers):
Where ever I was and mentioned Vintersorg among the bands I like, there´s never been anyone saying: "Äh... not my kind, sorry" or "I don`t like that" ... but it has always been: "Oh yeah, good music" or "Unique style... cool" or whatever. You just don`t have to be ashamed to mention the bands name, no matter where you are... you know. Seems that everyone respects "Mr.V" as an outstanding musician.

I agree with you on almost everything there a 100%, except the very last sentence.

I have quite a few friends who listens, and doesen't listen to metal that really hates Vintersorg. Some people claim he's a nazi (for hearing the first lines from "Till Kung Och Fosterland") right away and doesen't wanna hear anything else. And I've also heard many people say that he has the most overrated voice in metal. Not everyone respects Mr. V, would be strange if everyone did, don't you think?
I like this thread, could this be the start of some serious discussion?:wave:

Draugen said:
Not everyone respects Mr. V, would be strange if everyone did, don't you think?
Haha... of course. I was just talking about my personal experience. And maybe I don`t have such (don`t wanna say the adjective that`s in my mind) *** friends, who judge an artist after the first line of 1 song ... or maybe I don`t have so many "non-metal" friends (and with work collegues etc. I anyway don´t talk about Vintersorg.... so...). ;)

I think Mr. Vintersorg is so popular that he gets all his beer/liquor and women for free as long as he lives :tickled:

It might not last but they will become milions with one hit single while Vintersorg will gain average success and he wont be rewarded for not selling out. I guess for him it is probally more of a lifestyle choice rather than just about the money, getting peoples respect for writing good music and expressing himself. It just annoys me that these mainstream stars with no musical talent can become famous but others have to struggle to even get their art released. (EITHER THAT OR HE IS REALLY POPULAR I JUST DONT KNOW IT BECAUSE IM IN NEW ZEALAND HAHA). I guess I just want to see one of my musical influences get the reward he deserves.
You know what I mean right guys?

you never know, with all the side projects and such, he may well have a pop hit single up his sleeve. just waiting for the right moment to propel his career into global stardom and lunchbox merchandising. ;)

The Minds Eye said:
It just annoys me that these mainstream stars with no musical talent can become famous but others have to struggle to even get their art released.
That's just the way it goes. The best you can do is continue to support those bands and forget about the others.

It totally sucks that people like Vintersorg aren't super popular.

But then the beauty of high quality musicianship is exactly that - a lot of the the time it ISNT well known and I think this happens because the musicians do it for the LOVE of music.

I think also that more talented musicians tend to have slightly "left of field" ideas, and think tends to be produce more complex works which don't go well with the public.

If you ask me, yes, it's a bummer that Vinty isn't more popular because, hell, I sure as hell won't see a Vintersorg performance here in Sydney! But the great thing is that it's underground, it kind of adds to the "nostalgia" of it all.

I guess really, it's a two-sided coin isn't it? :)

PS - Vinty certainly doesn't have an over-rated voice. He's a VERY lucky man to be born with such an amazing natural musical instrument. There's few metal vocalists imho who can compare.

walkyr said:
something else: zwendelaer, I just found out that you ARE MR.Antikrist :wave: hehehe the site is really better than that shitty server you once had

hehe, yes i AM the one and only notorious Mr. Antikrist :Spin: I remember now who you are, i talked with you on chat.no :) Added you to my msn, so we talk later!

The Hubster said:

But then the beauty of high quality musicianship is exactly that - a lot of the the time it ISNT well known and I think this happens because the musicians do it for the LOVE of music.

I think also that more talented musicians tend to have slightly "left of field" ideas, and think tends to be produce more complex works which don't go well with the public.

If you ask me, yes, it's a bummer that Vinty isn't more popular because, hell, I sure as hell won't see a Vintersorg performance here in Sydney! But the great thing is that it's underground, it kind of adds to the "nostalgia" of it all.

PS - Vinty certainly doesn't have an over-rated voice. He's a VERY lucky man to be born with such an amazing natural musical instrument. There's few metal vocalists imho who can compare.

If you already call him for "Vinty" i think hes already TOO popular ;) :tickled:

The Hubster said:

Haha True COME TO AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND FOR A HOLIDAY VINTERSORG!

The Hubster said:

The Hubster said:
But the great thing is that it's underground, it kind of adds to the "nostalgia" of it all.

:confused: Aren't these two statements a little inconsistent?

Judging by the posts so far it seems most seem to equal "more popular" with "less quality" which might apply to a lot of acts but as a statement is not true. Popularity doesn't say anything about the qualites of an artist.

I have a friend who likes "Vinty" but other than that I don't know anyone personally who listens to Vintersorg. But in the United States it is not as often that you run across people who listen to this kind of metal anyway. What I mean is, that most people who I've met who say they like metal, like stuff like Slipknot, Norma Jean, etc, and don't know much about the stuff from Europe.

I host a metal show on a public radio station, and I do play Vintersorg, Otyg, and Borknagar on it. I have callers who say they like the music. I'm doing my best to promote you (in my small little way) here in America, Mr. V.!