How Popular is vintersorg actually?

"Vinty" = Aussie habit of reducing syllables in names

I know my comments seem inconsistent, but this is only because I try to see two sides to each coin.

Yes, it's a bummer Mr V isn't more well known, but if he was, I think a lot of people would "jump on the bandwagon" purely for the sake of it.

I know it seems elitist - but take for example, seeing someone wear an Iron Maiden shirt, but they have NO clue about the music, they do it for the sake of it's popularity. That's a bummer, to me it "dumbs" the vision of the music.

Plus, there's something special about knowing of a band or musician who produces extremely high quality work, who is uneffected by pressure of popularity. IMHO - these musicians break barriers and find new ways to create, they maximise their creative freedom and expression. When popularity takes effect a lot of the time, this becomes restricted because of demand.

So from own own POV really, if Mr V was more popular, I would get to see him on my home turf. But because he's not, I feel his work remains very different and "un-generic" which is something I love in my choice of music.

I hope I'm making sense...

Here in Italy Mr V (or Vinty eheh) is not very popular..is hard when I talk to some metalhead at concerts or in university to find someone who know Vintersorg..lots know only his name but only a very few person hold some of his album..but I rember when The Focusing Blur came out it was at the first place of the top seller album of a music store for 2 weeks or more.
But I always advise Vinty to someone..and lots of time they start to listen to him eheh..
Skål!

Bon said:
Here in Italy Mr V (or Vinty eheh) is not very popular..is hard when I talk to some metalhead at concerts or in university to find someone who know Vintersorg..lots know only his name but only a very few person hold some of his album..but I rember when The Focusing Blur came out it was at the first place of the top seller album of a music store for 2 weeks or more.
But I always advise Vinty to someone..and lots of time they start to listen to him eheh..
Skål!

Actually, I have an italian girl who lives next door to me. I'm seriously thinking about asking her in to listen to some Vinty and drink some white wine...:D now that would be nice!

Draugen said:
Actually, I have an italian girl who lives next door to me. I'm seriously thinking about asking her in to listen to some Vinty and drink some white wine...:D now that would be nice!
Ahah..try Draugen!! But use red wine..is better!! Ahah..if you want some italian lesson just contact me eheh!! Good luck!
Skål!
..I want to come to live in Sweden..

The Hubster said:
Yes, it's a bummer Mr V isn't more well known, but if he was, I think a lot of people would "jump on the bandwagon" purely for the sake of it.

I know it seems elitist - but take for example, seeing someone wear an Iron Maiden shirt, but they have NO clue about the music, they do it for the sake of it's popularity. That's a bummer, to me it "dumbs" the vision of the music.

Plus, there's something special about knowing of a band or musician who produces extremely high quality work, who is uneffected by pressure of popularity. IMHO - these musicians break barriers and find new ways to create, they maximise their creative freedom and expression. When popularity takes effect a lot of the time, this becomes restricted because of demand.

So from own own POV really, if Mr V was more popular, I would get to see him on my home turf. But because he's not, I feel his work remains very different and "un-generic" which is something I love in my choice of music.

I hope I'm making sense...

Yeah I completely agree with everything you just said, I mean I find it really annoying when like a "famous pop punk band" like Good Charlotte or some other gay band wear Iron Maiden T shirts and say in interviews they are big fans or whatver, if these people were true fans they wouldnt play such talentless shit.

hmm, I only know one person who lives in my area who knows about Vintersorg. After creating a Vintersorg fan thread in one of the most popular forums on the net I got alot of replys pointing out how "hawt" he actually is. Hell even a few guys only came in to discuss how much they want to fuck him =\
There was actually only a small discussion on the music. Sad really, I love Vintersorg for the music wished more people would appreciate it too.

Evil-shiva said:
hmm, I only know one person who lives in my area who knows about Vintersorg. After creating a Vintersorg fan thread in one of the most popular forums on the net I got alot of replys pointing out how "hawt" he actually is. Hell even a few guys only came in to discuss how much they want to fuck him =\
There was actually only a small discussion on the music. Sad really, I love Vintersorg for the music wished more people would appreciate it too.

Now this is really sad (and weird) to hear. The ones who asked how "hawt" he is, must be very young. Of course I know there are people who really wants to look as if they are really into metal in general, but doesen't know shit about it. Why else would someone ask such a pointless question?

The funniest thing I've encountered on this topic, was a guy I met outside some years ago (quite drunk as usual :Smug: ). I asked the guy what he listened to, and he mentioned a few names that almost was impossible to pronounce, hence, it was black metal he was talking about. Then I asked him about some other bands and it turned out that he never had heard about neither Darkthrone nor Immortal. He was so "true"...
But I had a good laugh :tickled:

hahah I hate raw black metal :yuk: , but EVEN I have heard of darkthrone and Immortal :err: . and it sounds like grrrrrrrrrrrAAAAAAAARGGGGGra-DRRRRRRRRRRRR<double bass drums whole song long-aachaaambrrroeWaRRRRRRRRRRRetc.

Draugen said:
The funniest thing I've encountered on this topic, was a guy I met outside some years ago (quite drunk as usual :Smug: ). I asked the guy what he listened to, and he mentioned a few names that almost was impossible to pronounce, hence, it was black metal he was talking about. Then I asked him about some other bands and it turned out that he never had heard about neither Darkthrone nor Immortal. He was so "true"...
But I had a good laugh :tickled:

:hotjump: :tickled:

But maybe he listens to Black Music and not to Black Metal ;)

Draugen said:
I agree with you on almost everything there a 100%, except the very last sentence.

I have quite a few friends who listens, and doesen't listen to metal that really hates Vintersorg. Some people claim he's a nazi (for hearing the first lines from "Till Kung Och Fosterland") right away and doesen't wanna hear anything else. And I've also heard many people say that he has the most overrated voice in metal. Not everyone respects Mr. V, would be strange if everyone did, don't you think?
I like this thread, could this be the start of some serious discussion?:wave:

Pardon the ignorance, but what exactly does he say in the beginning of "Till Kung Och Fosterland"? My swedish is a little rusty, actually, it never worked to begin with.

Satyrath said:
Pardon the ignorance, but what exactly does he say in the beginning of "Till Kung Och Fosterland"? My swedish is a little rusty, actually, it never worked to begin with.

Själafränder, norden rungar
Vapenbrödrer vid Svea strand
Stridskamraters kamprop ljungar
För upphöjd kung och fosterland

Soulmates, the north thunders
Weapon-brethren at Svea (Swedish) shore
Battle-comrades' warcries resound
For exalted king and native country

walkyr said:
hahah I hate raw black metal :yuk: , but EVEN I have heard of darkthrone and Immortal :err: . and it sounds like grrrrrrrrrrrAAAAAAAARGGGGGra-DRRRRRRRRRRRR<double bass drums whole song long-aachaaambrrroeWaRRRRRRRRRRRetc.
:err:

Evil-shiva said:

I think it's also a reflection of the social landscape - the majority of people are now obsessed with fame, wealth and materialism, and this is also reflected in the popular music of today.

Music like Vintersorg is reflecting on nature and science, which doesn't fit into the above charatceristics of popular culture. I personally believe that metal, like classical/early music and a few other genres of music, caters (perhaps unintentionally) towards the more mature, intellectual or deeper listener. It definitely requires a more detailed and appreciative mind if you ask me.

Can you imagine for example a rapper trying to understand the title "Visions of the Spiral Generator"? - I think they'd get stuck on pronounciation! :p

The Hubster said:
Can you imagine for example a rapper trying to understand the title "Visions of the Spiral Generator"? - I think they'd get stuck on pronounciation! :p

Haha! :tickled:
Mathematic hip-hop - now that would be something!

Thidrek said:
mine, too ;)
darkthrone is among the worst music i've ever listened to :D :Spin:

Not really my cup of tea either... although I have to admit that it sometimes can be entertaining, but in small doses. A whole record with Fenriz & Co. - no thanks!