How Popular is vintersorg actually?

Zwendelaer said:
Talking about Fenriz, Isengard is fucking geniously!
Not too sure what you mean by that, but I assume you like the band in which case I will agree. Fenriz's side projects are much better than Darkthrone, but I won't lie to you and say I didn't like a Darthrone album. To each his own.

I think he means "ingenious" ;)

I once listened to Isengard and I think they were fine. But don't know anymore...

What I cannot understand is why Ulver, that are really talented musicians who can play their instruments and can sing like hell produce those 2 extra-ingenious albums "Bergtatt" and "Kveldssanger" and then do some badly-produced rubbish like "The Madrigal Of Night". Cannot understand..

Thidrek said:
What I cannot understand is why Ulver, that are really talented musicians who can play their instruments and can sing like hell produce those 2 extra-ingenious albums "Bergtatt" and "Kveldssanger" and then do some badly-produced rubbish like "The Madrigal Of Night". Cannot understand..

I think it's pretty simple, they don't seem to like doing the same thing twice.
And I'm afraid that you're incorrect regarding Nattens madrigal, it rules :p

spaffe said:
I think it's pretty simple, they don't seem to like doing the same thing twice.
And I'm afraid that you're incorrect regarding Nattens madrigal, it rules :p

Here's my opinion in the matter:
"Bergtatt" - a pathetic attempt in creating "epic" metal
"Kveldssanger" - quite boring, but it has it's moments
"Nattens Madrigal" - also has it's moments, but there's few of them...
"Theme From William blahaha" - is this some kind of joke?
"Perdition City" - yes, they're joking
The Lost In Moments webpage - damn that's an ugly webpage

It doesen't seem necessary to mention that Ulver ain't my favourite band...;) Although I am totally in love with everything that Garm has done with Borknagar and Arcturus!

Hmm...seems as this discussion has drifted quite far from the topic. Oh well, nothing unusual in that! :loco:

Draugen said:
Here's my opinion in the matter:
"Bergtatt" - a pathetic attempt in creating "epic" metal
"Kveldssanger" - quite boring, but it has it's moments
"Nattens Madrigal" - also has it's moments, but there's few of them...

HERESY! CALL THE INQUISITION!

inquisition.jpg

Thidrek said:
I think he means "ingenious" ;)

I once listened to Isengard and I think they were fine. But don't know anymore...

Nattens Madrigal is actually an amazing album, providing you can listen past the production. The reason it has such a bad production is that I think they were maybe taking the piss out of the "tr00 kvlt" underground black metal scene, since they take all the worst traits of the BM sound to an exaggerated extreme (buzzing trebly guitars, indescernable drumming etc.)

Overall, Vintersorg isn't too extremely popular in the U.S, but I've talked around to people (mostly under the age of 25) and I've found a total of 2 fans.

I don't think mainstream culture thinks too highly of intelligent artistic music, just look at the most popular metal bands in America (Norma Jean, Slipknot, Chimera, blah blah blah...) You won't find ANYTHING intelligent or artistic in those bands. I've noticed the same thing applies to everything - the average American dosen't want anything that they have to think about to find a particular meaning in it or if it's not about something that they encounter in every day life. Emotions are a popular subject - everyone gets angry, sad, horney, ect. - but the average person dosen't think about folklore and philosophy so they can't relate.

Anyway...I let my friend, who is a big fan of punk/hardcore/emo, listen to Vintersorg. She liked it more than she thought except for the fact that she didn't think it was fast-paced enough for her liking. Generally, anyone else I've let listen to it liked it.

Nichrome said:
The reason it has such a bad production is that I think they were maybe taking the piss out of the "tr00 kvlt" underground black metal scene, since they take all the worst traits of the BM sound to an exaggerated extreme (buzzing trebly guitars, indescernable drumming etc.)

Yeah, it sounds very likely that a serious band such as Ulver would spend a lot of time writing an album only to turn it into an anti-"trueness" manifesto with the production :rolleyes: