I need some new music! Help!

J-Dubya 777 said:
The earliest footage I have ever seen of slap bass is a video of Cab Calloway's "Reefer Man", guy named Al Morgan played bass on the original recording in 1932, I don't know if it was him on the video clip or not. I've been searching the net to find the complete clip, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating......o_O

LOL! I should have clarified that I meant electric slap bass. As in slap and pop, the style that funky electric bassists use. That is of course different from acoustic upright slap bass, which has probably been around since before Larry Graham was shitting pickles in his diapers. :D BTW, I only found a partial clip of Cab Calloway's "The Reefer Man":

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7634361285508558722&q=cab+calloway

If you find a complete version let me know. That ol' big band stuff is cool.

Barking Pumpkin said:
A few different things....I apologize if you already know any of these:

Mr. Bungle: Pretty well known avant-garde band, featuring the famed Mike Patton on vocals. :D I recommend the album 'Disco Volante' for your Avant-Garde Jazz needs. Very jazzy, very weird at times, and produced by John Zorn. ^_^ Another of their albums, 'California,' also good avant-garde, but much more accessible. They tackle the different musical styles of California, from songs echoing The Beach Boys to........<_< other famous "California" sounding bands. :p It's one of my all-time favorite albums, and I've had it for over a year. This will also satisfy your need for clean vocals. Disco Volante has vocals of course, but this has even more of a vocal focus. Very catchy, very fun, but also very musically satisfying.

Fantomas - This is Mike Patton's current main project. Unlike Mr. Bungle, everything in Fantomas is written by Mike Patton. If you've ever heard John Zorn's Naked City, this is very much influenced by that. If you know John Zorn, you'll find they have a lot of the same "tricks" that John Zorn uses (flash-card compositions, cartoon music, movie theme covers, noisy segments, etc.), but they definitely have their own sound. Their most accessible is 'The Director's Cut,' which is filled with covers of movie themes ala Fantomas. Besides that, I recommend 'Suspended Animation' and 'Delirium Cordia' (flash-card composition ala Zorn).

Secret Chiefs 3: This is the current main project of former Mr. Bungle and Faith No More guitarist Trey Spruance. I recommend 'Book Of Horizons,' their most recent album. The idea here is that Trey has created several different "bands," and they each have 2-4 songs on the album, in completely different styles. A few are.....classical sounding compositions, soundtracky music, death metal, indian music......it's interesting.

I'll post some more later. ^_^

Good call on mentioning Mr. Bungle! I almost forgot about them. They were great. I'll have to check out Fantomas and Secret Chiefs 3 sometime.

Fantomas can be rather obnoxious sometimes. Basically.....don't look for them to sound anything like Mr. Bungle. After loving California so much that's basically what I was looking for, and why I initially didn't really like Fantomas.

If you're looking for something with more of Mike Patton's nice melodic vocal work, get Kaada/Patton - Romances. It's a very soft album......kind of what the title says. It's emotional, but it's pretty calming music. Very nice if you're in the mood for it. Similar to that is Mike Patton's appearance on John Zorn's 'The Gift.' The song is "Bridge To Beyond." It is relaxing, but not in a happy calm way I guess. It sounds like the title, kind of spooky, weird, but still calming in a way. Very beautiful and nice to listen to, I guess is a good way to describe that and the Kaada/Patton.

There's kind of the Zorn circle of bands/projects and then the Patton circle as I call it, which is the generation after Zorn I guess. The other one I know in this that I didn't mention is Estradasphere. They provided all the extra instrumentation on the Mr. Bungle 'California' album, basically a lot of the classical/folk instruments. They're basically one of those bands that try to sound kind of humorous and try to tackle lots of musical styles. I'm not really a big fan of that type stuff unless it's done right. Estradasphere are actually really good at it, but I'm not always in the mood for it. Sometimes their music, while pretty musical interesting, sounds too much like a joke for me. It's not all the songs, of course, just some. I would recommend the album 'Quadropus.' I have two, and that's the one I enjoy the most. The big band instrumental type songs are really nice. They cover basically everything from jazz to surf music to metal here.

I'll also stick a little plug in here and give a nod to Estradasphere's taping policy.

www.archive.org said:
Estradasphere has the following taping and trading policy:

On December 17, 2002, Estradasphere management gave permission for shows to be hosted at the Archive:

Poco Marshall of Indagroove wrote:
Sure, go ahead.

Thanks,
Poco

Policy
Audience taping is HIGHLY recommended.

Audio & Video Taping Audio cassette, DAT, and video taping is permitted at shows for personal, non-commercial, home use only. We recommend that you bring microphones and portable tape machines.

Do not expect power; be prepared for everything. Please stay out of the way of the working crew at all venues.

Some things that are generally not allowed at Estradasphere shows are: CD-R's, large mixers, reel to reel, home decks, long extension cords, etc. Sometimes we forget to tell venue management about our policy, if any problems arrive ask to speak to our road manager or one of us.

Live tapes are a big part of why the Estradasphere are growing so rapidly, and we want to continue to provide as cozy taping environment for everyone as possible. Please respect the wishes of the band and the crew and feel free to ask questions and make comments. It's always been a goal of ours to make taping as much a part of the show as possible, please help us by following common sense at all times.

Makes sense, simple, unpretentious, and this isn't exactly some poor starving local band either, although they're not huge, I gather they're pretty popular especially in the Santa Cruz area where they seem to perform a whole lot.

Hence, you can find 22 free, legal, up for speedy download, lossless Estradasphere shows available for download from archive.org. If you don't know the site, you might want to check the band list and see if anyone else is there you like. Of the list of like 500 bands, I only really remember recognizing Estradasphere, Tenacious D, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, and The Blood Brothers.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Estradasphere

They also have several live show videos there. Just search for Estradasphere in all media types and look for the videos if you're interested, there's not really a specific link I can give you. :)

BP, that sounds like Ozrics' audio taping policy. They no longer allow plugging into the soundboard, although they used to, but beyond that, fans can go all out, and I've seen mics on tall stands above the audience, etc.

urinalcakemix said:
I'm open to pretty much anything, but I'd like some clean vocals. Thats ALL I ask!

Help me out guys, whether its metal, prog rock, jazz, latin, funk, lay it on me, I need something new!

Hmm..... I realize you said you were getting burned out on prog/power stuff but I will make ONE suggestion in that category.... namely the latest by Pagans Mind. Killer CD.

One of the few things about being old as dirt like me is that I also have classic metal masterpieces when I get burned out on new stuff...... here is a link from the oldschool board here on UM with some nice suggestions.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217925

Bryant

Unca Kev said:
LOL! I should have clarified that I meant electric slap bass. As in slap and pop, the style that funky electric bassists use. That is of course different from acoustic upright slap bass, which has probably been around since before Larry Graham was shitting pickles in his diapers. :D BTW, I only found a partial clip of Cab Calloway's "The Reefer Man":

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7634361285508558722&q=cab+calloway

If you find a complete version let me know. That ol' big band stuff is cool.
I thought you were speaking of just the technique itself, which is pretty much the same on either bass, I think. I have a friend who has the entire Reefer Man tune on (of all things!) a WC Fields DVD. If I remember right. You really need to see the whole clip! That upright bass player looks completely stoned, and does a nice little slap solo. If I can ever get a rip of that, I'll be sure to put it up temporarily somewhere. I'm just happy that stuff pre-dates me! I feel like an old man talking about AC/DC with Bon Scott! :D

J-Dubya