Is Carcass-Heartwork Death or Melo' Death

Is Carcass-Heartwork Death or Melodic Death?

• Death

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Melodic Death

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
I think it's Death Metal, I admit the album uses Melodic themes and some of the songs like Heartwork, This Mortal Coil and Death Certificate are purely Melodic Death.

The general flavour of the album is Death with some Melody being incorporated. This is most evident on songs like Buried Dreams, Carnal Forge and Embodiment.

There are some songs on the album which are pure Death Metal with no elements of melody. These songs are No Love Lost and tracks 7-9.

What do you think?

Reek of Putrefaction - Grind
Symphonies of Sickness - Grind
Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious - Death/Grind
Tools of the Trade E.P - Death/Grind
Heartwork - Melodic Death Metal
Swansong - Southern, Stoner Metal/Rock, etc.....

Living Inside said:
Reek of Putrefaction - Grind
Symphonies of Sickness - Grind
Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious - Death/Grind
Tools of the Trade E.P - Death/Grind
Heartwork - Melodic Death Metal
Swansong - Southern, Stoner Metal/Rock, etc.....

I didn't ask for all that information, you haven't even justified why you think Heartwork is Melodic Death.

Because the guitar work, it is obvious. I have owned the disk for about 2 years now. Why do you even bother asking for people's opinions anyways I do not get it.

I think it's simply death metal. Like Profanity said, it's death metal with melody incorporated. All the craptastic Gothenburg melo-death was heavy metal (ala Iron Maiden) with death vocals. Carcass hardly sounds like Soilwork.

Death metal.

Its melodic death. Its death metal, and its melodic. Therefore its melodeath. I think most people that would deny that are because they think bands have to sound like In Flames and Soilwork to be melodeath, but in my opinion, those bands I wouldn't call melodic death at all, as they are lacking highly in the "death" part. I just like to refer to them as melodic metal, or just metal is fine for me. I am not too big in to genres.

Melodic Death, imo is....

Heartwork era Carcass
Vehemence
Amon Amarth
etc....

These bands are melodic, yet they are still death metal. To me, that is what makes melodic death.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Its melodic death. Its death metal, and its melodic. Therefore its melodeath.

There are some songs on the album which are pure Death Metal with no elements of melody. These songs are No Love Lost and tracks 7-9.

The general feel of the album isn't melody, it's Death

Did you not read anything I put in my first post?

Profånity said:

The general feel of the album isn't melody, it's Death

Did you not read anything I put in my first post?
yes. and the majority of the tracks on the album are quite melodic.

and i shall listen to those aformented tracks right now.

The album seems to straddle the line between Death and Melodic Death to me. The majority leans towards melodic death to me so thats what i think about it. Different people have diverse opinions on what melody is to them or just how "melodic" something has to be to qualify as such. So its not really a fact as to whether or not this cd is just death or melodic death, especially since anyway people can't decide on what "melodic death" is in itself. in my view of the genre, however, this leans towards melodic death.

and even though its not important, i heard smidgens of melody toward the end of 7, and the lead guitar tends to add melody overall. but whatever. its pointless to start dissecting

Ageless said:
Why does it matter!? Will it make you enjoy the album more to know that people also consider it Death Metal!?

I think Heartwork is the best Death Metal album of all time and i'm fedup of people saying it's not Death Metal, "it's Melodic Death" or something similar whenever I say that.

Who cares what people say it is, if you thought it was pop no one could convince you other wise. So why should people that think it is melo death think it is DM for you or change for you when you do the same thing they do vic versa and are exactly like them. Shut the fuck up already and who gives a shit

The constant application of parallel thirds in the guitars suggests melodic death.

It's death metal with melody and groove to my ears. To call it melodic death brings about the confusion of the genre of the same name. I'd no less compare Heartwork to The Gallery as I would God Was Created to Natural Born Chaos.

The fact that Death Metal is only 1 vote behind Melo Death makes me laugh. Musically, it follows all the trends of Melodic Death, and its nowhere near as heavy and brutal as any death metal album, and barely incorporates any death metal into its sound.

Dont get me wrong, I think Heartwork is a great album, but its not fucking death metal. Its more like Arch Enemy, just not shit.

Actually, thanks to Richardson' amazing production, Heartowrk is more brutal than a lot of death metal in 1994.

Cannibal Corpse and Deicide released muddy, idiotic albums whereas Heartowrk sparkles as cleanly as the cover sculpture. That crystal production makes it more crushing.

I say that it straddles the line.

And although In Flames are like a heavy Maiden with death vocals and folk acoustics, the other Gothenburg bands have many death metal elements, enough to warrant the term melodic death metal.

Not every band has to sound like Morbid Angel to be death metal.