James' pickups

MetalHeadMat

Droogie
Aug 26, 2008
Hey James! I don't know if you'll read this, I read about your thread saying that the forum was dead, but I decided to post this anyways. What's the worst that'll happen? :loco:

Anyways, I'd just like to say that lately, I've been listening to a few albums exclusively. These include The Gathering by Testament, Spiritual Healing by Death, Death Shall Rise by Cancer, and Cause of Death by Obituary, (don't I have such happy music? :D ). Well the other day I found out you did the guitar work on the Testament album, and I decided to check out the albums and bands you were in. Turns out, all the albums I've been listening to exclusively, you were on :guh: And I found this out AFTER I was listening to only them for at least 2 weeks.

You're an incredible guitarist, and your music is phenomenal :)

Well I knew you played Caparison's and B.C. Rich's, but until I found your Convergence album, (amazing by the way, the title song is one of my favourite instrumental songs) that you had an Ibanez. So I did some digging and found you played some Ibanez's, mainly with EMG pickups, but you used DiMarzio's (Steve's Special and an Air Norton) while recording the Gathering.

The Gathering has some of my favourite tone for rhythms, but I was just wondering what prompted the change? Were you trying something new, or you went in and somebody said "Oh we ordered a guitar with EMG's, but they gave us one with DiMarzio's" and you used it just because?

You must be busy and don't have time to read this, so I'm not expecting a response. Don't get me wrong, one would be incredible but if not I understand :) You probably get 30 questions a day like this :loco:

I'm looking forward to where the future brings us with your music, keep on doing what you do best :worship::worship::worship:

Just a quick comment, I play Down For Life EVERY day on guitar as a warm up. I can't alternate pick it without it sounding like mush, so I usually down pick the whole thing. It's greatly improved my rhythm work!