KALISIA new sample online

On a side note how the hell did you get a media player like that in your myspace account?

Come on Brett.. it's the Booby talking here.. no messing around..

I really do like this stuff, all of it.. nobody's making fun of it at all.
The best song is the first one so far.. it really reminds me of the band "skyfire" quite a bit, another reason why i think this is fantastic..

What i meant with "how" is what did you use? guitars? drums? samples? (subliminal message - give them to me) and vocals.. im wondering what you did to it all..

I think you might be tired of hearing this stuff Brett, and think it sounds "good".. but it's really that good as i make it out to be..

Now enjoy the fame and be prepared to be filthy rich!

chadsxe said:
On a side note how the hell did you get a media player like that in your myspace account?
I was fed up by the terrible mp3 quality at myspace, the terrible look of the myspace player (yuk), and the fact that you could only include 4 songs, so I searched for an alternative and found a few, this one was my favorite (and a few of the ones I tried before didn't make it) and the good thing is it doesn't eat up myspace bandwidth.

http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

Be warned that it took me hours to get everything to work as I wanted it to (and I was so tired that I droped the idea of customizing the colors)... Good luck :)

Sounds very good to me. Maybe the cymbals are a little thin for my taste and the snare sounds slightly "machinegunish" on some rolls (reminds me of dfh1 btw).
Anyway, impressive job considering the amount of layers and stuffs going on.

Black neon bob said:
The best song is the first one so far..
Actually song 1 and 2 are parts of the same song, only they are something like 55 minutes apart :) And song 2 was a rough mix, while song 1 is pretty much as close to the final version as can be (not mastered though)

What i meant with "how" is what did you use? guitars? drums? samples? (subliminal message - give them to me) and vocals.. im wondering what you did to it all..
Well... Let me try to remember (forgive me but the recording/mixing has been spread over the last 3 years...) :

Left rhythm guitar is Ibanez RG2027XVV (with DiMarzio Evolution 7 & Blaze pickups, L.R.Baggs piezo for the clean parts).
Right rhythm and lead guitars are Ibanez RG7 with stock pickups.
Running through TubeScreamer into Krankenstein into Mesa Cab into SM57 (or was it i5 ? don't remember, lol)
Acoustic guitar was an Applause... (gloups...)

Bass is Ibanez SDGR DI + the same signal through Guitar Rig 2 Demo.

Drums are Tama Rockstar Pro Deluxe 87 Edition (Toms 8", 10", 10" (yes, 2 10"s), 12", 13", 16", and two 22" kicks), cymbals are prety much Sabian AAX, UFIP and Paiste. SM57 used, MD421's too, I guess a pair of C414's were involved in part of the overheads, snare is miked top and bottom, 80% natural / 20% sample, kick is 100% triggered (3 kicks sounds blended, like I did for the Malmonde record if you remember (actually I did that for Kalisia before and took the same trick for Malmonde).

Voices were tracked with Rode NTK. Pretty much always doubled.
Choirs are 100 layered tracks (20 basses, 20 barytons, 20 tenors, 20 altos, 20 sopranos).

Keyboards are Korg Triton, Roland XP-80 (with many expansion boards), Roland XP-50, and various samples and VSTi.

I think this is it... We also recorded Saxophone, Flute, Violin, and a few other things but they are not in the sample so it's no use explaining :)

I think you might be tired of hearing this stuff Brett, and think it sounds "good".. but it's really that good as i make it out to be..
Now enjoy the fame and be prepared to be filthy rich!
I've been waiting for this moment, all my life
Oh Lord, Oh Lord
And I can feel it coming in the air tonight... ;)

Thanks Brett.. I appreciate the reply...

The choirs are interesting.. software i hope? or did you really get the whole village to come to your house and sing?

Drums are the best of all, i think.. i might have a look into layering multiple samples, as i have heard a lot of people do that succesfully..

Thanks..

Brett, sorry to hear about the mix difficulties, I've been in similar situations myself so I fully sympathize. In the end, you guys are producing some of the best progressive metal I've heard in a long time, and that's what counts!

:OMG: This is great Brett! I can hear the type o negative and paradise lost influences in there. The mix sounds next to perfect to me. After hearing this
I'm kinda at a loss to what the concept of mastering is (ok, maybe i was kinda at a loss before also :):rolleyes: ) Seriously though, couldn't this go without mastering? I mean how much better could this sound? :kickass:

Choirs : me singing 60 times the same phrases again and again (there are no choirs on this part), trying to change my voice of the takes, moving slightly from the mic, etc, and 40 times for the female singer... Pain in the ass !!!
Yeah I can guess where is the Type O Negative part your referring to, lol :) Actually it's the name of the bit...
I don't know how much better this would sound with a good mastering, but I'm sure Andy, James or Ted Jensen or other good mastering engineer could make it "even better" (maybe a bit louder without audible dynamic loss) and hear problems I didn't...
Thanks a lot to you all for the kind words, it's kind of reassuring because I've worked so hard and such a long time on this that I'm afraid I don't know what's good and what's not anymore...
Keep the comments and criticisms coming :)
Cheers,

Brett

Finally got the track to play, thanks for the MP3 btw. Did you use a different program to encode it or something? Anyway, the track sounded great. Really liked it, especially the punchy bass drum. Nice mix aswell.

Garfo.

Deus.exe said:
Very well done! Clear as crystal.

How did you manage to coax Pete Steele into singing for you? :p

Lol, yeah I wish... Only I'm one meter smaller than he his and so is my dick, lol ;) I love his voice very much though and wish I could sing like him !

The album will be out when we'll have finished it and found a good label willing to sign us :Smug:... might take some time really...

I'm considering posting another sample (just here) with guitars a bit louder and a bit more overheads, will see what I can do...