Kansas for ProgPower

Actually, if you want to make believe that they are at ProgPower, get the "Device - Voice - Drum" DVD. That was filmed at Center Stage (Earthlink Live! back then). Course, it will be a little strange, because the band is playing on the floor, not the stage.

Jason

Actually, if you want to make believe that they are at ProgPower, get the "Device - Voice - Drum" DVD. That was filmed at Center Stage (Earthlink Live! back then). Course, it will be a little strange, because the band is playing on the floor, not the stage.

Jason

On the floor? Weird. Any idea why?

I take it you're referring to Kansas. One of the very few shows I ever attended at Center Stage before PPUSA was a BOC show...which ruled mightily, and I think they played on the stage. :)

Uh, no. IMO, Progpower should be for up and coming bands or current heavyweights, not for the classics, no matter how good they still are.

I don't want to see Dio or Iron Maiden or even Dream Theater at PP either. I want new metal ,and I want PP to help elevate bands' profiles in the US who need the boost.

Kansas is legendary, that much is certain. A few of their albums are in my Top 20 list (i.e., Masque, Song For America, Leftoverture). I absolutely loved that band in the '70s.

Musically, they're still just as tight as they always were.

Vocally, however...

Steve Walsh used to have one of the most distinctive and laudable voices in rock. Today, though, he's reduced to a raspy, thin growl. Granted, I haven't seen them in 4-5 years. But I saw them a lot in the '90s (one time at this dive of a dance club in St. Louis; it was embarrassing) and Steve's voice was pretty far gone. Unless a miracle occurred since then, it's still gone.

Without Kerry Livgren, Robby Steinhardt, and Steve Walsh's soaring vocals, it's just not Kansas any more.

Just my two cents worth...

FYI, when I saw them this year Kerry Livgren was back in the line-up and Steve's vocals were much improved. I thought they were a little weak on Device Voice Drums, and they were much better this time around. He'll never be soaring above the arrangement like some of the PP vocalists in their prime at this point, but he seemed pretty solid to me. Plus Kansas was never really about putting the vocals in and of themselves on display as the virtuoso element. They are more about progressions, harmonized licks, and fairly brief but clever soloing. You don't ALWAYS need a vocalist who is the center of attention (especially when he doubles for a pretty damn good keyboard player).

FYI, when I saw them this year Kerry Livgren was back in the line-up and Steve's vocals were much improved. I thought they were a little weak on Device Voice Drums, and they were much better this time around. He'll never be soaring above the arrangement like some of the PP vocalists in their prime at this point, but he seemed pretty solid to me. Plus Kansas was never really about putting the vocals in and of themselves on display as the virtuoso element. They are more about progressions, harmonized licks, and fairly brief but clever soloing. You don't ALWAYS need a vocalist who is the center of attention (especially when he doubles for a pretty damn good keyboard player).

Hey, that's very cool news! Kerry back?!?!?!

I didn't mean to say that every band needs to have a soaring-vocal frontman (or woman). And it would be terrible of me to expect Steve to sound like he did 30 years ago.

I just remember what he sounded like in the '90s and I felt badly that singing sounded almost painful for him. Very raspy.

But you're right about his keyboard playing. He's quite a showman when it comes to that. Acrobatic, even. Steve Walsh is a Grade-A frontman in my book.

Bill

I love Kansas, I've seen them several times, and I would love to see them again; however, I agree that it might not be the best fit for ProgPower. Maybe if you flew in Kerry Livgren, and they performed some sort of special set (performed a particular album in it's entirety, etc.) then maybe that would work, but I would still be concerned that a lot of people would walk out on them.

Or maybe just have some of the original members join one of the scheduled bands for a few songs? While I agree that a headlining set wouldn't be the best fit for PP, you can really hear the Kansas influence in a lot of prog music. I think the fans (and the bands) would get a kick out of this.

Or maybe just have some of the original members join one of the scheduled bands for a few songs? While I agree that a headlining set wouldn't be the best fit for PP, you can really hear the Kansas influence in a lot of prog music. I think the fans (and the bands) would get a kick out of this.

That would actually be pretty cool! I'm not 100% sure which members still live here, but I'm guessing Richard Williams, Phil Ehart, and Steve Walsh are all still in town, so that would seemingly be doable.

It'd be great if Steve Morse was with them. It'd be a hell of a reason to go. Seeing Styx mentioned in this thread too they wouldn't be too awful for PPUSA. I've seen them twice in Valdosta, GA and they put on a great show.

FYI, when I saw them this year Kerry Livgren was back in the line-up...

Really? Where did you see them? As far as I know, Kerry hasn't toured with the band in YEARS, except for the occasional one-off gig. I saw them this summer in New York and they were great, but Kerry was most definitely NOT with the band. The only original members currently touring as Kansas are Steve Walsh, Phil Ehart, and Rich Williams.