Let's see those guitars!

New (to me) old Ibanez RG 560 arrived today just as I was leaving for work.
Duncan JB, Dimarzio HM3, & a Duncan Vintage rails in the neck position. Looks to be in nice shape, has a weird trem spring noise that I will fix this weekend... $281... pic when I get home.
Nice to have 2 guitars again...

I don't own this, but I just have to share this picture as imo it's beauuutiful :p

Jem777VMMV_front2.jpg

Fender Stratocaster USA, '98 neck with '00 body. Bought summer 2006.

strat1la5.jpg

strat2kj3.jpg

Caparison Dellinger, 2007. Bought summer 2008.

caparison1mq2.jpg

Color is midnight blue, very hard to see in pictures and even in person. I've tried a lot of brands and models, and I must say this beauty has the best neck for me. Caparison pickups sound quite good too, but I'm going to change them one day or another.

Mentioned on the previous page, my new RG560. Helluva deal for $281
Pickups are a Duncan JB, Dimarzio HM3, & a Dencan Vintage Rails....
Sounds SWEET!

RG560.JPG

@ J-Dubya 777

Man, I'm so jelous. I love those pre 2003 Ibanez guitars. I bet that thing plays so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It even has those awesome speed knobs on it! Sweet.

Very nice JD!
New Ibanez's aren't cutting it.... :(

Thanks, nope, not a fan of newer Ibby's (with trems/vibrattos) that have the
newer bridges. IMO, Ibanez made THE perfect bridge with the Edge & Edge Lo-Pro. I'm REALLY interested in a 770DX re-issue, but that's WAY out of my price range for the next bunch of months.

Sweet 560, JDub.

And, Swabs, that is frickin'-A beautiful!! You should steal it. :heh:

Thanks, and I agree!

@ J-Dubya 777

Man, I'm so jelous. I love those pre 2003 Ibanez guitars. I bet that thing plays so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It even has those awesome speed knobs on it! Sweet.

Thanks!
It plays quite nicely, I really wish they would have put the Jem777 neck joints on the RG line, as I don't have huge hands, and the tilt joints are a slight PITA. My RG320FM has the AANJ, which I prefer.

The only real problem with the newer trems (newer=edge pro...haven't had much experience with the newer edge zero) is that the studs don't hold up to the ones that came stock on the older edge. Get the locking studs and install them as described on ibanezrules.com (also make sure the trem itself is properly setup and maintained) and there's no reason it wont be every bit as good or better than the older ones.

The only real problem with the newer trems (newer=edge pro...haven't had much experience with the newer edge zero) is that the studs don't hold up to the ones that came stock on the older edge. Get the locking studs and install them as described on ibanezrules.com (also make sure the trem itself is properly setup and maintained) and there's no reason it wont be every bit as good or better than the older ones.

Well aware of the LACK of locking studs. It's a shame that Ibanez isn't using them anymore. THAT'S why I'm down on Ibanez over the last few years. I mean come on, you make a decent mid pirice neck through and then throw an Edge III on it? Prestige lines without the locking studs? Bah & Feh! To me that is insanely stupid. That was one of the main things Ibanez did to improve on the Floyd Rose design. Leave the crappy trems on the 100 & 200 series, or at least make it some kind of optional upgrade. I have yet to lay hands on one with an Edge zero, so I'll reserve any trem rants on them, or lack of, until then :) The Edge III is absolute shit, I've been tweking/modding guitars for fun, and sometimes profit, since the 1980's. I've seen a wonderful evolution of locking systems, starting with the original Floyds and just about every iteration since. I'd rather have a LO-TRS instead (Those J-6s or whatever came on the latter Charvel/Jacksons were crappy too. Shitty metal, prone to corrosion).

Bottom line, for my old, picky, ass, is that the RG & S series guitars prior to 2003-4 were great right out of the box/case. I won't include the stock pickups in the discussion, because that's sound/tone, and entirely subjuctive. It's the removal of key features that were once stock, that irks me. Moderately easy to "fix"? Yes. Should you have to do that to a $900+ guitar? In my opinion, no.

Agreed for the most part...but frankly the odds of me having any interest in Ibanez guitars (other than maybe the S series) again is too low to have strong feelings about them. I LOVE my Jem, but even having compared it to other models with the same specs, I'd say I got lucky. Even then, it's really only a backup guitar since I've gotten the EBMM.

FWIW, the new Edge Zero does have locking studs, but they still haven't made that standard on the Edge pro. Having not played on the edge zero, I will at least say that the ZR bridge they've put on the S series is fantastic. But like you said...Ibanez is, moreso than ever, all about the lowest quality control/workmanship they can get away with for the money. There are diamonds to be found in the rough, but I for one will pass. As much as prices have gone up on their upper end models, I'm surprised they even move much product in that price range anymore...especially in light of the previously mentioned quality issues.

The EDGE PRO is still an improvement over the edge trem and lo-pro, and even Rich has said that (read from jemsite some time ago). He prefers the EDGE PRO over the others, with the addition of locking studs that is lol.
The ZR is AMAZING!! So easy to adjust with the knob on the back to adjust the trem angle, then it comes with an intonation tool! Plus it comes with a backstop system that improves retuning to zero angle so perfectly. These new edge zero trems look amazing.. ZR trem but instead of ball bearing its knife edged, with the same knob on the back to adjust trem angle and it comes with an intonation tool. It makes it so easy to set up guitars with that lol. I want to try one, but I don't have $1000 for a guitar lol.

I really like Ibanez guitars. I frequently visit guitar shops around here and have tried various brands of guitars but nothing is like Ibanez necks. Pickups are usually crap, but they help to keep the price down and most everyone changes them anyways.

Agreed for the most part...but frankly the odds of me having any interest in Ibanez guitars (other than maybe the S series) again is too low to have strong feelings about them. I LOVE my Jem, but even having compared it to other models with the same specs, I'd say I got lucky. Even then, it's really only a backup guitar since I've gotten the EBMM.

FWIW, the new Edge Zero does have locking studs, but they still haven't made that standard on the Edge pro. Having not played on the edge zero, I will at least say that the ZR bridge they've put on the S series is fantastic. But like you said...Ibanez is, moreso than ever, all about the lowest quality control/workmanship they can get away with for the money. There are diamonds to be found in the rough, but I for one will pass. As much as prices have gone up on their upper end models, I'm surprised they even move much product in that price range anymore...especially in light of the previously mentioned quality issues.

Yeah, that's what bums me out, like Charvel/Jackson getting bought out by Fender. All about the profit margins. Not like either Ibby or Jackson can't make nice new guitars, they can, but you're going to pay for them, where in the past, the mid grade working class joe guitars were awesome right off the shelf. I miss my Jems something fierce...My 320fm is actually a nice ax, minus the trem, sounds great w/stock pups, and is very easy to play. I'm all about Caparison now, having previously owned one, and I guarantee my next "new" purchase will come from them.

The EDGE PRO is still an improvement over the edge trem and lo-pro, and even Rich has said that (read from jemsite some time ago). He prefers the EDGE PRO over the others, with the addition of locking studs that is lol.
The ZR is AMAZING!! So easy to adjust with the knob on the back to adjust the trem angle, then it comes with an intonation tool! Plus it comes with a backstop system that improves retuning to zero angle so perfectly. These new edge zero trems look amazing.. ZR trem but instead of ball bearing its knife edged, with the same knob on the back to adjust trem angle and it comes with an intonation tool. It makes it so easy to set up guitars with that lol. I want to try one, but I don't have $1000 for a guitar lol.

I really like Ibanez guitars. I frequently visit guitar shops around here and have tried various brands of guitars but nothing is like Ibanez necks. Pickups are usually crap, but they help to keep the price down and most everyone changes them anyways.

I will respectfully disagree with Rich, but then again he sees a LOT more of the newer Ibby trems than I ever will. I still stand by the cheapening of the Ibby line being a major negative in choosing to buy a "new" guitar. If you're buying an expensive guitar, it shouldn't need $100+ in mods to make it like ones made a few years prior. I don't mind most Ibby pickups. The 560 came modified, butthe stock pups in my 320fm scream, I have no reason or interest in changing them. I'd still by a new Caparison over any new Ibanez in the same price range, even a Jem. This is coming from a major ex-Ibanez fanboy too...FWIW

Love the colour J-Dub.

Always wanted to get my hands on a S7620 in that colour. I remember seeing on in a shop once new, too expensive at the time, but I regret never buying it.

Have to agree about the new ibanez's. I bought a cheapy recently and it was very cheap. Erk. Still, it craps over the equivalent Jackson guitars I was looking at at the time. I don't know how they could sell those.

Biggest problem I see is that shops over here just aren't stocking the range of Ibanez guitar's they were 5-7 years ago. They generally only have a couple sub 300 models on display (and overpriced).