Mike Portnoy and John Sykes?!?

I was pretty skeptical about this because the whole ditching Sykes and forming a new band seemed really sleazy, and I'm really hoping that these aren't Sykes' songs (although I seriously doubt it). But yeah this rules HARD. Sounds like Mr. Big with sprinkles of classic DT-ish jammy parts but it doesn't get obnoxious sounding. Production is also top notch too. This is how DT should have sounded after Scenes From a Memory from a production standpoint imo.

So yeah, super stoked on this!

This is basically an Eddie Trunk arranged band isn't it? I've also read recently on Facebook that Mike has chosen to leave Adrenaline Mob...that makes no sense to me!

~Brian~

I know this is a joke, but actually this band was arranged partly by Portnoy himself, and partly by their manager. I agree with your Trunk hate though. At least you don't have to deal with living in the same city he does!

THE WINERY DOGS - First Ever US Show Confirmed For New York City

THE WINERY DOGS - featuring drummer Mike Portnoy (ex-ADRENALINE MOB, FLYING COLORS), bassist Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG, TALAS) and guitarist Richie Kotzen (ex-POISON, ex-Mr. Big) - have announced their first ever US show, which will take place on August 3rd in New York City, NY at BB King's. JOLLY have been confirmed as support, tickets go on sale June 14th here.

More shows will be confirmed soon.

I was pretty skeptical about this because the whole ditching Sykes and forming a new band seemed really sleazy, and I'm really hoping that these aren't Sykes' songs (although I seriously doubt it). But yeah this rules HARD. Sounds like Mr. Big with sprinkles of classic DT-ish jammy parts but it doesn't get obnoxious sounding. Production is also top notch too. This is how DT should have sounded after Scenes From a Memory from a production standpoint imo.

So yeah, super stoked on this!

I know this is a joke, but actually this band was arranged partly by Portnoy himself, and partly by their manager. I agree with your Trunk hate though. At least you don't have to deal with living in the same city he does!

From what I understand, Portnoy didn't ditch Sykes. He'd be nuts to do that actually! Sykes just didn't want to do anything at the time and Portnoy is hungry to work. I think it was just a timing thing. At least that's what it is made out to sound like.

~Brian~

That's exactly it. Sykes apparently is pretty damn lazy, while The Winery Dogs already has a fantastic album coming out, what does Sykes have? Nothing. What will Sykes have for a long time to come? Nothing.

From what I understand, Portnoy didn't ditch Sykes. He'd be nuts to do that actually! Sykes just didn't want to do anything at the time and Portnoy is hungry to work. I think it was just a timing thing. At least that's what it is made out to sound like.

~Brian~

Your understanding is incorrect and that's all I can really say on this.

Portnoy is going to launch another project soon, then another one, then another one... Then he's going to ditch two of them, for three new ones.

It's just the way it is.