Most Overrated Metal Guitarists?

<Pretentious Cunt Mode>
You guys obviously just don't GET Buckethead, OMG.
</Pretentious Cunt Mode>

Who the fuck cares if it's sloppy? He's doing something with his instrument of choice that doesn't sound like anything else out there.
Hell I even have problems differentiating between the big virtuosos at time. Steve Vai? Paul Gilbert? WHO'S WHO MANG?! But Buckethead comes in and it's like "oh yeah, I know that sound."
I just don't get how people can get a bit of slop stop the from appreciating something genuinely creative. The guy's still human, whether his stage appearance makes you think otherwise, and humans make mistakes, I don't see why hearing a HUMAN MISTAKE as part of a HUMAN PERFORMANCE such a bad thing, seriously.

<Pretentious Cunt Mode>
You guys obviously just don't GET Buckethead, OMG.
</Pretentious Cunt Mode>

Who the fuck cares if it's sloppy? He's doing something with his instrument of choice that doesn't sound like anything else out there.
Hell I even have problems differentiating between the big virtuosos at time. Steve Vai? Paul Gilbert? WHO'S WHO MANG?! But Buckethead comes in and it's like "oh yeah, I know that sound."
I just don't get how people can get a bit of slop stop the from appreciating something genuinely creative. The guy's still human, whether his stage appearance makes you think otherwise, and humans make mistakes, I don't see why hearing a HUMAN MISTAKE as part of a HUMAN PERFORMANCE such a bad thing, seriously.

Im into blues and all sorts of music with sloppy players, but when the "sloppyness" reaches a level where it really affects the quality of the music, then you need to do something.
In my opinion Buckethead has this problem, and due to the fact that he uses a shitload of effects ALL THE TIME it gets so fuckin' messy when he plays sloppy.
The more effects you have, the better you have to be at playing to make it sound good.

I like Zakk Wylde... but yeah, I like his songs A LOT more than this solos. I've got the Doomsday Troopin' DVD and quite honestly, when I first got it, I had to fast-forward A LOT because he just wouldn't stop. That DVD is honestly like 40% him playing a solo.

I love the "real" Zakk Wylde(No Rest For The Wicked -> Ozzmosis), the modern Zakk Wylde is just so annoying with his image that he is the opposite of a poser.. and he thinks his old more melodic style of playing is "gay"? WTF?!
And i cant stand how he downtunes classics like Crazy Train so bad that Ozzy cant hit one single note through the entire song!

Im still a huge fan of Zakk though, and he is one of my biggest influences, but this "big old bear man"-image combined with mindless pentatonic wankery must stop!

Zakk needs to go back to P&G and BOS instead of the wannabe biker, phony ozzy early sabbath vocals. songs written in 5 minutes.......lyrics too. ect.

Yeah, you guys are right about Zakk. Couldn't agree more... He's so far away from that guy who wrote a masterpiece called "Book Of Shadows". Especially his singing went so downhill...

But as far as Buckethead goes... I disagree. I think if he's on, if he sets out to be dead-tight, he delivers. I honestly think he's one of the most unique and diverse players nowadays.

WOW. This thread gives me huge douche chills, especially the comments about Petrucci. "He does, "some" amazing stuff" Does everything he plays, have to be amazing? "He is a phenomenal guitarist BUT..." BUT WHAT? If you think he's a phenomenal guitarist, why not just leave it at that?

Any time you begin a SUBJECTIVE conversations like this, you're going to end up getting into arguments. Who really cares???

personally id say Kirk Hammett. But if he made you pick up a guitar then thats cool.
About hendrix...;
well.
this man says it better than i can

"he's a fucking alien man he is; He got dropped of by a U.F.O and they said....
'jimi show em what its about and we'll pick you up in 28 years'
AAAALRIGHHHT!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Trey Azagthoth.

And James, you're not over-rated, you're probably my favorite death metal soloist, next to Bill Steer. You two wrote some of the most tasteful solos imaginable.

there's "betya cant play this" with herman ree...he's fucking up so badly there it's not even funny.
and ontheir albums it doesn't even sound "recorded slow played back fast" it actually sounds like they're chopping the solo into all the seperate notes and putting them back together in time. like 100% quantized

I like the passive racism Lasse!

dimebag darrel (ok..its a shame he died...he was a great guitar player but...now people think he was like a guitar god or something like that...
slash (god i hate guns and roses)
kirk hammet ...ok..he wrote really godlike solos (in the early records) but GOD DESTROY THAT F*CKING WAH (HE SUCKS LIVE)
avenged sevenfold

Brendan Small anyone? Speaking from a musical standpoint only of course...Major props to him for Metalocalypse, that show gets me in tears...but I mean the music isnt really much to speak of, seems pretty average, and people seem to think hes some amazing metal mastermind...the general population of musicians on this forum put out better music, and hes getting to tour and play arenas with Gene Hoglan.

didn't storey leave on his own terms though, tired of touring for awhile or smth?

This is what was posted on metalunderground.com:

Oakland CA’s extreme metallers ALL SHALL PERISH have parted ways with guitarist Chris Storey. According to the band both sides felt it was time due to many long standing internal issues. ALL SHALL PERISH has issued the following statement:

"We WILL be doing all upcoming tours and fests! We have an unbelievable replacement named Jason Richardson. Can't wait to see everyone on the road! We will be doing a small headliner, the Atticus Clothing tour and then a ton of major fests in Europe. We have some surprises in store as well!"

Jind

It's not my thing to meddle in other people's business, but Chris is a friend of mine. So I will say, yes, Chris left ASP on his own terms.

Anyways that's all you'll hear from me.