Name essential thrash albums...

I never have understood all the slayer bashing, who else on this board comes close to their riffs, their atmosphere, their aggression, and their live show? No one. Who cares if they were sloppy?

Oh and Voivod is a must, i forgot, I suppose classic voivod would be up to nothingface.

Ok, thanks everyone. I have a list which I will consider making choices from in the future:

dark angel - darkness descends
sodom - agent orange
exodus - bonded by blood
slayer - reign in blood
megadeth - rust in peace
kreator - pleasure to kill
kreator - coma of souls
death angel - the ultra violence
sepultura - arise
sepultura - beneath the remains
anacrusis - suffering hour
iced earth - night of the stormrider
iced earth - burnt offerings
annihilator - alice in hell
possessed - seven churches

I know in some cases there are more than one album from some bands which are also well worth hearing, but this is just a rough guids. I would be interested in any confirmations of Destruction or Testament titles still, because I havn't got the feeling for a particular release from either band yet.

Thanks again.

Iced Earth- s/t. Okay the vocals aren't the greatest but there are some really great songs on this one.

Also for fans of early Testament check out their 'First Strike Still Deadly' where they re-recorded songs from the first two albums.

Regarding Testament, every album has its own qualities, but avoid Souls Of Black, it's somewhat weak. The Legacy, Low, The Gathering - whichever you pick you're not making a mistake. A personal favourite - The Gathering.

Now, I believe this one is extremely hard to find, but if you stumble upon Powermad's "Absolute Power", get it right away.

I haven't seen Celtic Frost here:

Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return
To Mega Therion
Into The Pandemonium (very experimental and funny as hell, but in the best way possible; probably on my top 5 list of metal albums)
Vanity/Nemesis

My favourite thrash albums are:

Megadeth - Peace Sells (actually, RIP is marginally better, but Peace has more of that old school thrash feeling whereas RIP is more progressive and has some elements of classic heavy metal)
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Testament - The Gathering
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Possessed - Seven Churches
Slayer - Reign In Blood

Testament - The Gathering is simply great! I don't know why some people hate and dare to compare it to metallica. It is far beyond everything metallica has done in the past 14 years.

Edgecrusher said:
Iced Earth- s/t. Okay the vocals aren't the greatest but there are some really great songs on this one.

Also for fans of early Testament check out their 'First Strike Still Deadly' where they re-recorded songs from the first two albums.

I would recommend Night of the Stormrider instead of the s/t. The vocalist on the s/t simply kills the album. NotS has the best riffs and a better vocalist.

Testament-The Legacy
Metallica-Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets
Megadeth-Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?,Rust In Peace
Slayer-Show No Mercy, South Of Heaven
Anthrax-Persistance Of Time, Spreading The Disease, Among The Living
Coroner-No More Color, Punishment For Decadance
Kreator-Pleasure To Kill, Coma Of Souls
Exodus-Bonded By Blood
Overkill-Horrorscope, Years Of Decay
Annihilator-Alice In Hell
Dark Angel-Darkness Descends

Slayer - everything up through Seasons in the Abyss
Metallica - the first four
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Anthrax - everything up through The Persistence of Time
Testament - The New Order
Destruction - Everything
Sodom - Everything
Kreator - everything up through Coma of Souls
Dew Scented - Impact & Inwards
Invocator - Excursion Demise & Weave the Apocalypse
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains & Arise
Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care
Coroner - everthing
Celtic Frost - everything up until Cold Lake

NotS > burnt offerings

plus they are more power metal than they are thrash metal, so i wouldnt categorise them here.

Slayer - Up to and including Seasons
Megadeth - Up to and including RIP
Metallica - MOP, Kill Em All, Ride the lightning
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Kreator - Coma Of Souls
Testament - The New Order, The Legacy, Low
The Haunted - S/t and Made Me Do It

they are the essential imo

Megadeth - Killing Is MY Business... and Business is Good, Peace Sells... But Whos Buying, So Far So Good So What?, Rust In Peace

Testament - The Legacy, The New Order, Practice What You Preach, Souls Of Black, The Gathering

Anthrax - Spreading the Disease, Among The Living, State Of Euphoria, Persistence Of Time

Slayer - Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss

Kreator - Pleasure To Kill, Violent Revolution

Destruction - Eternal Devastation, The Antichrist, Metal Discharge

Sodom - Code Red, Agent Orange, Tapping The Vein

Annihilator - Alice In Hell, Carnival Diablos

Overkill - Feel The Fire, Taking Over, Horrorscope, Under The Influence, The Years Of Decay, From The Underground and Below, Killbox 13

Forbidden - Forbidden Evil, Twisted Into Form

Supultura - Beneath The Remains

Exodus - Bonded By Blood, Tempo Of The Damned

Metal Church - Metal Church, Blessing In Disguise

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver, No Place For Disgrace

Evildead - Annihilation Of Civilization, The Underworld