New Melo or Prog Death Bands?

M3t41Ti11D3th

Mar 27, 2008
I've got nothing better to do, so I would like someone to point me in the direction of some good bands.

Right now my favorite genres are Melodic Death and Progressive and, I know I shall be shunned for this, but I do NOT listen to black metal. I already listen to...

Amon Amarth
At the Gates
Carcass
Children of Bodom
Daath
Death
Decapitated
Decreipt Birth
Devildriver
Into Eternity
Necrophagist
Nile
Norther
Opeth
The Faceless

Those aren't the only bands I listen to, just the heavier ones.

Halp plz?

You didn't say Orphaned Land, so I'll say that.
Paths Of Possession, The Black Dahlia Murder, Control Denied
Emperor's Prometheus should appeal to a fan of progressive death metal.

You'll probably want to check out some of these bands:

Eucharist
Soilwork (not on your list? just forgot, or don't like?)
Gardenian
Scar Symmetry
Vehemence
Unmoored
Extol
Martyr
Veil Of Maya
Textures
Diabolical
Edge Of Sanity
Miseration
Insomnium
Kalmah

...etc.

You didn't say Orphaned Land, so I'll say that.
Paths Of Possession, The Black Dahlia Murder, Control Denied
Emperor's Prometheus should appeal to a fan of progressive death metal.

You'll probably want to check out some of these bands:

Eucharist
Soilwork (not on your list? just forgot, or don't like?)
Gardenian
Scar Symmetry
Vehemence
Unmoored
Extol
Martyr
Veil Of Maya
Textures
Diabolical
Edge Of Sanity
Miseration
Insomnium
Kalmah

...etc.

Ok I liked what I heard from Orphaned Land so I'm downloading it now, as with Paths of Possession. I wasn't a fan of Control Denied and I don't like TBDM's vocals. I'm downloading the Emperor album but I haven't listened to any of it yet.

Mumblefood, I haven't heard of any of those bands except for Soilwork which I haven't listened to any of.

ahhh crazy... i didn't think we still got people new to extreme metal around here. Don't mean to be condescending, but those are pretty stock standard bands most metalheads know and often like to hate as well (i like them fyi)

Oh don't worry about it. I hadn't gotten into anything heavy until not even a year ago, and I just kinda fell upon bands as I saw people with shirts and bands I already liked on tour with them. So anything would help. But what do you mean by "often like to hate as well"?

Oh don't worry about it. I hadn't gotten into anything heavy until not even a year ago, and I just kinda fell upon bands as I saw people with shirts and bands I already liked on tour with them. So anything would help. But what do you mean by "often like to hate as well"?

melodic death metal is a style that you could say "went out of style" as it got more popular, and lots of people well into extreme metal feel their taste is too awesome to listen to things that got popular. Metal is easily one of the more elitist music scenes out there. People spend lots of time making fun of the tastes of others. Pretty annoying, but you just have to ignore most of it.

Gardenian - Soulburner is not good. Sounds like Soundgarden playing melodeath.

Of those, though, I heartily endorse Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, and Eucharist.
In case you're not aware of them, In Flames and Dark Tranquility as well.
Also Dissection.

melodic death metal is a style that you could say "went out of style" as it got more popular, and lots of people well into extreme metal feel their taste is too awesome to listen to things that got popular. Metal is easily one of the more elitist music scenes out there. People spend lots of time making fun of the tastes of others. Pretty annoying, but you just have to ignore most of it.

I was arguing with a guy earlier today about tell someone their musical opinion was wrong for listening to Are You Dead Yet? by CoB. I guess in since I'm new into the "heavier" scene of metal I haven't gotten to go through the motions and wave changes of it. Although I can say that I haven't left any genres behind yet in my progression towards heavier music besides metal core.

Gardenian - Soulburner is not good. Sounds like Soundgarden playing melodeath.

Of those, though, I heartily endorse Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, and Eucharist.
In case you're not aware of them, In Flames and Dark Tranquility as well.
Also Dissection.

I liked In Flames at first, then kinda fell out of them, but if you can point me in the direction of some of their better stuff feel free.

The most true melodic death metal they did would be The Jester Race and Whoracle. Colony as well. Their first album isn't too far from black metal. their latest is what I call "melodic alternative metal" and other people call "gay." I think it's good, but definitely not what you're looking for.
Also, Dark Tranquility's The Gallery is worth checking out.

The most true melodic death metal they did would be The Jester Race and Whoracle. Colony as well. Their first album isn't too far from black metal. their latest is what I call "melodic alternative metal" and other people call "gay." I think it's good, but definitely not what you're looking for.
Also, Dark Tranquility's The Gallery is worth checking out.

I guess I would've predicted Whoracle, I really like the track Episode 666 off of it.

Jotun is the best off that album imo, food for the gods, gyroscope, worlds within the margin are all also awesome.
Jotun:

The Jester Race is a better imo, though.
Artifacts of the Black Rain:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFRSdU1kx8w&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Calmsite is awesome melo-death + stoner rock. It aesthetically reminds me of Gardenian, but I like Calmsite a whole hell of a lot better.

Also check out Lunarsea, who sound like the first Disarmonia Mundi (another band you need) album + Dark Tranquillity.

I second Dan Swano - Moontower, and also Extol, but only the first two albums + the 'Mesmerized' EP.

The first Dark album is good too, but it's more progressive and odd in a general sense, not technical. I don't really know of anything like it, however. Maybe Crematory on a strange trip..

I know I shall be shunned for this, but I do NOT listen to black metal.

With all due respect, if you are new to metal and you don't like black metal it is probably because you have yet to learn to like it. It can be a very difficult genre to get into.

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Atheist. I know it's more technical death than progressive death, but who cares. It should appeal to a fan of prog death.