New Music

Cliche Kid

Not a goth kid
Jan 23, 2006
Following a vast range and amount of recomendations I recently purchased,

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

My Dying Bride - Songs of darkness, Words of light

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Deadwing was good musically but a bit weak in my opinion. Felt a bit middle of the road and too pop for my liking. Do they have any darker or more depressing albums?

Songs of darkness was very good. Solid Doom. Vocals a bit of a let down though. Kinda just talks through songs. Still like it very much. What is their strongest album?

Octavarium - Having never heard Dream Theater I was led to believe they were a metal band. This is about as metal as my grandma's panties. I enjoyed the music very much, especially the epic prog 24 minute octavarium. Vocalist was boring though. Didn't have any grab factor for me. again, am I starting with the right album?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cliche

You've gone with the wrong albums on Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater methinks. Porcupine Tree isn't really a very depressive band, at least not in my mind. They become more of an addiction thanks to great songcraft and general psychadelicness. I would definitely give them another chance with "Stupid Dream" or "In Absentia" if I was you though.

For Dream Theater, "Images & Words" and "Awake" are the gems. "Awake" is their darkest and heaviest IMO, so it would probably suit you best. Their newer material is very hit and miss, especially "Octavarium".

A Stranger said:
new daylight dies! just bought it today. excellent!

Is that an album or an artist? Some kind of review would be helpful! What kind of music etc...

I just downloaded Images & words and i'm definitly diggin it so far! (I download music before buying it, and if I don't buy it then i delete it) if the rest of the album is as good as the first few tracks then i'll definitly pick this one up!

hm... can anyone explain me why my dying bride are considered so high? sorry, but i fall asleep when i listen to their singer... so boooooring... zZzzZZzZ...

Weathered said:
hm... can anyone explain me why my dying bride are considered so high? sorry, but i fall asleep when i listen to their singer... so boooooring... zZzzZZzZ...

that was my point...vocals were a let down. Howeve, if you like a mysterious, depressing, doomy sound then musically what I have listened to so far is ace...

Daylight dies are excellent doom metal. nice mixture of death and clean vocals. excellent guitarwork. lot of similarity to katatonia but different enough for them to be a great band in their own right. Dismantling Devotion is the name of the album. u can gewt a free sample at their site. Jesse (kata forum moderator) is in the band i believe.

never liked My Dying Brides vocals that much either. Their new album has some great moments on it though.

Cliche Kid said:
Following a vast range and amount of recomendations I recently purchased,

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

My Dying Bride - Songs of darkness, Words of light

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Deadwing was good musically but a bit weak in my opinion. Felt a bit middle of the road and too pop for my liking. Do they have any darker or more depressing albums?

Songs of darkness was very good. Solid Doom. Vocals a bit of a let down though. Kinda just talks through songs. Still like it very much. What is their strongest album?

Octavarium - Having never heard Dream Theater I was led to believe they were a metal band. This is about as metal as my grandma's panties. I enjoyed the music very much, especially the epic prog 24 minute octavarium. Vocalist was boring though. Didn't have any grab factor for me. again, am I starting with the right album?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cliche
Deadwing is probably Porcupine Trees most depressive and least pop album, so i guess the other albums won't be to your liking.

My favourite album by My dying bride is The dreadful hours. Their darkest album, i think. And you should check out Images and words by Dream theater. Its considered their big classic.

Like i said above, i downloaded a copy of Images & Words to see if i liked the band... on the copy I downloaded the first track cuts out really abruptly at 8:16, seems like there should be more to the song. Is this the way it is on the album?

Metamyr said:
Like i said above, i downloaded a copy of Images & Words to see if i liked the band... on the copy I downloaded the first track cuts out really abruptly at 8:16, seems like there should be more to the song. Is this the way it is on the album?

Yeah it does that on the cd. I hate that.

My favorites by My Dying Bride are Turn loose the swans and Angel and the dark river. They have some truly depressing songs, though if I'm not on the mood I fall asleep too :p

I bought Cult of Luna - The Beyond sometime ago. A crushing doom/hc (?) masterpiece.
And At the Gates - Slaughter of the soul. I hope there is no one who hasn't heard of this one because it's a classic. ^^

Metamyr said:

not that i condone illegal downloading, cough cough. but if you wanna hear the true potential of this band then you should look for track 3 A Dream Resigned. This stood out to me as one of their best. Oh and i thought the first track faded out nicely and avoided dragging the song on too far by doing so. but thats just personal preference.

edit:
sorry just noticed that jesse posted at the same time as me. Congrats on the album. Heard a track on a terrorizer cd and i just bought it today. Great work man!

As daimonion said, Deadwing isn't pop at all. It takes some time to grow on you, but as far as I am concerned I became addicted to this album. Deadwing is not for those who want to hear a song once and stuck in their heads immedietly or for those who can't dig an album. But it includes some catchy songs too, like Shallow, Halo, Lazarus. If you listen to the album more carefully, and up to 4-5 times at least, you'll see that it really worths it.

OK, so... I wanted to check out Octavarium to see what I thought of it myself... anyways, long story short... i got a bad torrent and got a mislabeled album. What I actually ended up getting was the solo ablum from the lead singer (Elements of Persuasion)... but i've gotta say, it's amazing! Definitly buying this!

Edit: It's not on iTunes music store... NOOOOO!

Cliche Kid said:

If it's metal you're looking for, and you like the band, definitly check out that solo album in my previous post. MUCH heavier than regular Dream Theater