New Music

Cliche Kid said:
Octavarium - Having never heard Dream Theater I was led to believe they were a metal band. This is about as metal as my grandma's panties. I enjoyed the music very much, especially the epic prog 24 minute octavarium. Vocalist was boring though. Didn't have any grab factor for me. again, am I starting with the right album?

Cliche
It' probably their worst album...:erk:

Train of Thought and Six Degrees... weren't any better either. The latest Dream Theater song I liked is from Metropolis Part II. I would recommend Awake and Images and Words first.

Aaron Stainthorpe is great(my dying bride).You must listen to Angel and The Dark River if you wanna hear some really dark music.And The Dreadful Hours is good too,you can get it,i think...

I still consider My Dying Bride a very good band still making good albums...you should try The Dreadful Hours(give it time)....Songs of Darkness is one hell of an album....very solid...and by the way...i love the man´s voice...
Dream Theater.....dont like ´em much
Porcupine Tree....fantastic band in my opinion...Deadwing is quite a dark album....a bit more script-like so it´s harder to digest at first...you should try In Absentia
and by the way...Dismantling Devotion is one hell of an album...very solid work..

My recommendations: (for 1st listening)

My Dying Bride - Like gods of the sun

Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory <--- This one is a concept album, and IMO it is a masterpiece. At first i liked the songs very much, especially Home, Strange Deja Vu and Finally Free, and once i read the story of the album carefully, i loved it completely. Needs several listenings to get into it though (like all Katatonia albums).

Cliche Kid said:
Following a vast range and amount of recomendations I recently purchased,

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

My Dying Bride - Songs of darkness, Words of light

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Deadwing was good musically but a bit weak in my opinion. Felt a bit middle of the road and too pop for my liking. Do they have any darker or more depressing albums?

Songs of darkness was very good. Solid Doom. Vocals a bit of a let down though. Kinda just talks through songs. Still like it very much. What is their strongest album?

Octavarium - Having never heard Dream Theater I was led to believe they were a metal band. This is about as metal as my grandma's panties. I enjoyed the music very much, especially the epic prog 24 minute octavarium. Vocalist was boring though. Didn't have any grab factor for me. again, am I starting with the right album?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cliche

you should have bought scenes from a memory or Awake instead of octavarium u just bought their weakest album man.
and the angel and the dark river or turn loose the swans instead of songs