New Review Upload: Deicide, Khanate, and more...

yeah, I didn't like Vader too much, based on Black to the Blind. I think death metal still has life, though. THe Chasm continues to impress. Reunions of Obituary and Suffocation look promising. Bolt Thrower is still chugging along.

THat being said, a lot of bands with strong back catalogues continue to disappoint like Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Aeternus, and the latest EoS.

And thank the Gods that melo-death is finally dying (or dead). The only bands from this genre I even remotely listen to are Pandemonium, Beyond the Sixth Seal (because of The Red Chord vocalist), and a little from Eucharist and Dark Tranquillity. I never listen to my In Flames or At the Gates CDs.

Dreamlord said:
THat being said, a lot of bands with strong back catalogues continue to disappoint like Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Aeternus, and the latest EoS.
Amon Amarth really haven't changed all that much, except they play cleaner and with more melody. I do think "Sorrow..." is their best album, however, just because it's more friggin' dirty and fuzzy.

Amorphis, however, improved as they left their death metal yearnings behind. I would take Elegy and Tuonela over Privellige of Evil and Karelian Isthmus any day of the week.

...and a little from Eucharist and Dark Tranquillity. I never listen to my In Flames or At the Gates CDs.
You know, I would never connect A Velvet Creation to the pop melo-death scene. I think it deserves better categorization - to be honest, I would think of it more as prog-death, and the band deserve to be hailed alongside early Opeth and EoS for developing that kinda sound, but unfortunately, they are not. I also think Velvet Creation is better than the infamous Mirrorworlds which got so much attention through it being a rarity once upon a time.

JayKeeley said:
Amon Amarth really haven't changed all that much, except they play cleaner and with more melody. I do think "Sorrow..." is their best album, however, just because it's more friggin' dirty and fuzzy.
I don't know. Everything after The Avenger just sounds boring to me. Where are the "Victorious March", "Last With Pagan Blood", "Bleed for Ancient Gods", "Amon Amarth", "...SPeargod's Hall"?

AA have forgotten how to write a catchy, yet brutal song.

Amorphis, however, improved as they left their death metal yearnings behind. I would take Elegy and Tuonela over Privellige of Evil and Karelian Isthmus any day of the week.
I consider Elegy and Tales to be part of Amorphis' death metal period. With Tuonela, they completely left death metal behind (except for that one song). So I guess I was saying I prefer Tales and ELegy to Tuonela and Am Universum.

You know, I would never connect A Velvet Creation to the pop melo-death scene. I think it deserves better categorization - to be honest, I would think of it more as prog-death, and the band deserve to be hailed alongside early Opeth and EoS for developing that kinda sound, but unfortunately, they are not. I also think Velvet Creation is better than the infamous Mirrorworlds which got so much attention through it being a rarity once upon a time.
A Velvet Creation was just as much a rarity as Mirrorworlds, as both were released on WAR Records I believe. I totally see what you're saying though, because honestly I think Pandemonium are more prog and a little black metal with a base in thrashy melo-death, but it's just easier to blanket all of them under one banner.

Dreamlord said:
NAD, did you receive Black to the Blind yet?
Yes I did thanks, but I have yet to listen to it. I want to see if it's anything close to the Vader I love, but thusfar, there it sits.

Dreamlord said:
A Velvet Creation was just as much a rarity as Mirrorworlds, as both were released on WAR Records I believe. .
Ah, that's interesting. I just went to check my copy of Velvet Creation and it's on Regain Records. So obviously they re-released this some time ago, because this version has always been readily available anywhere I looked up Eucharist, and yet Mirrorworlds just got re-released a few weeks ago.

And my Mirrorworlds copy is on the original WAR records, thanks to Erik finding a copy in his local CD store!

well I know Velvet Creation was re-released. I'm not sure who re-released it. But the re-release has some bonus tracks which I believe are the songs Eucharist used on the rare WAR Compilation Volume I.

Yep, two bonus tracks, "Wounded and Alone" and "The Predicatable End" - this is a Regain Records release.

And by the way, I just reminded myself of something - A Velvet Creation came out 2 years before Opeth's Orchid.

Not wanting to interrupt the Eucharist vs Amon Amarth vs Amorphis vs Iced Earth debates, I'll bump this thread since the new upload is on the horizon...