NYC - Restaurant Recommendations?

LunaTEKKE

Madness Reigns
Mar 23, 2006
Hi all - I'm headed to New York in the next couple of weeks to catch three days of the U.S. Open. I'll be spending most of my time paying for overpriced food at the Open...but I do have a couple of days free in Manhattan.

Any "must try" restaurant recommendations? I've got several travel books (including Zagat's), but I thought I'd check here as well.

Thanks!

OK, as a native New Yorker who makes it a point of going out for dinner once a week, I have a few recommendations:

BBQ - Nobody, and I mean NOBODY beats Virgil's on 44th between B'way and 6th. The ribs are so tender, Great-Grandma can leave her teeth at home. The prices are reasonable for Manhattan (About $125 for four people if you stick to basics) The Pig Out is $27, and be prepared to get stuffed with this. They have other stuff besides BBQ. The Chicken-fried steak is to die for. I can safely say they do not have a bad thing on the menu. CAUTION: They use a "dry-rub" which may make the ribs a bit dry. Sauces are on the table.

Brazilian - Churriscaria Plataforma is a cows worst nightmare. Located on W. 49th between 8th and 9th avenues (Closer to Eighth on the south side of the block), this place will make Godzilla full. The appys are on a giant steam table, which are watched over by lovely ladies. The asparagus rissotto would have Gordon Ramsay bowing in respect. The red beans and bacon mix will have you begging for more. They also have a lot of fish at this station.

However, the stars are the waiters who bring you mounds and mounds of different meats. A virtual orgy of carnivorous bliss. From Bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon to giant beef ribs to hot sausage to chicken mini-legs. 25 different meats to choose from. Try them all! After all, it is "All-you-can-eat"! It is pricey, drinks are separate, and you will drop around $65-75 per person. CAUTION: You NEED to know when to say when in this place. As I said, Godzilla will leave full. What does that mean for you?

CAFE/BISTRO: There are plenty of them in NYC. My choice is Cafe Europa. They are dotted all over the place in Manhattan. I usually go to the ones on either 57th and 7th (on the corner) or 43rd and 7th (Again, on the corner). The coffee is fabulous, their freshly-pre-made sandwiches are good for your needs. The BBQ brisket with Hash-brown on an onion roll is excellent. The quiche is solid. Not a bad place to grab a sandwich so you do not get raped by the Open prices.

COMFORT FOOD: You want something weird? How about Mac n' Cheese? Well, S'Mac is a little hole in the wall on the Lower East Side (12th Street between First and Second Avenues). They serve Mac n' Cheese the way Mom used to make. You order at the counter, and they bring it to you in a hot skillet (and I MEAN hot! You WILL burn yourself if not careful) My fav is the Cheeseburger, with hints of mustard and ketchup. It is not fine dining. They will serve you your meals, but the utensils and stuff you need to get from the cabinet they set up.

DESSERTS; Two places: If you want to take it with you, I STRONGLY recommend Beard Papa on Broadway and Astor Place, The Coffee is incredible. This place, though, you come for the Cream puffs. I live in Brooklyn. There are so many bakeries that do them. However, I go out of my way to come here. They are so light and tasty, you will not want to stop at 8 or 9! If you want to sit down, I recommend Max Brenner on 14th and Broadway, across from Virgin Megastore. This is Willy Wonka times 10! Anything involving chocolate, you can get here! Chocolate crepes, to the chocolate fudge cake bucket you eat with a spatula. Get your Hot chocolate in a "hug mug", and relax. CAUTION: The service can be very spotty at times.

These places are centrally located in Manhattan. There are others in the outer boroughs that I would recommend strongly (Like Angelo's Bakery on 86th and 25th avenues, just under the subway station. Old school Italian pastry that you go miles out of your way to get to take with you.).

So, I hope you find this list informative. Hope you enjoy the Open.

Peace,
Ray C.

I love, love LOVE Virgils. It is a must stop if anyone is in the city and wanting killer BBQ. I might just have to make sure I head there for lunch next Tuesday.

There is also a rather tasty BBQ joint in Grand Central Station. The name escapes me, something Brothers, but I plan on eating there again. Not really sit down, more of a to go joint.

I also like to hit up Twins Pub at least once every trip. 9th and 33rd. Semi metal bar. Decent bar food. Last April I hosted a private party upstairs before the Dream Theater DVD taping show.

As soon is get off the train at Penn Station, I walk across the street to Cafe 31. It's on 31st. Pretty darn good Long Island Iced Tea there. They just remodeled summer of 2005, and I don't like it as much. Lost it's dive bar feel, but still decent bar food and close to the train.

I'd also recommend Umberto's on Arthur Ave. in the Bronx I believe. Nice Italian restaurant. Lot's of local peeps were there. I thought it very authentic.

I'll second the recommendation for Churrascaria Plataforma.

If you want to do something with music in a similar price range, go to The Jazz Standard on I think 29th and Park. Usually has good food and good drinks but typically not as great on the nights with the cheaper performances (you pay a cover for the band...somewhere between $15 and $30 I think.)

My best recommendation though: Blaue Gans on Duane Street & West Broadway

I forgot to add a couple of places to this list.

BURGERS: I am sending you down towards NYU for this one because Silver Spurs on Broadway and Wanamaker Place has burgers that are mammoth and juicy. Forget the rest of the menu, this place is about the chopped meat! Load them at your own risk, for you are going to have to pick it up, or use a knife and fork. When they load these, they do not play games. The fries and onion rings are done well in a sit-down, diner-type environment. Wash the burger down with Sioux City Sarsaparilla, which they sell in bottles.

LATE-NIGHT FARE: Since you will be coming back on the 7 Line from Flushing Meadows, you might want to detour to Astoria for some excellent grub. Even better, they are both at a subway stop! The first place is Mike's Diner on 31st and Ditmars Blvd. The food is good, the service is friendly, and you can walk out dropping about $20 for two people. Very convieniently located at the end of the N Line (Take the 7 Train to Queensboro Plaza, go UPSTAIRS, grab the Northbound N Train, and take it to the last stop, Ditmars Blvd., 9 minutes away). Mike's is located three doors away from the Subway steps. Traditional diner where you can order burgers at 3 AM and Pancakes at 3 PM. Long considered one of NYC's best.
Another solid stop is the Neptune Diner on Astoria Blvd. (Same directions as above, only get off at Astoria Blvd and go down the north stairwell.) The burgers are highly recommended. The omelets are nice and fluffy. Coffee is fabulous. Like Mike's, Neptune is considered one of NYC's best. In most polls, they flip-flop 1&2 citywide.

So, that is the updated list. Happy eating!

Peace,
Ray C.

My wife and I discovered 9th ave around 40th - 48th st (Hell's Kitchen area) has TONS of good restaurants

If you like New Orleans food, you HAVE to go to The Delta Grill on 9th and 47th. The chef is from New Orleans (my favorite city), and the food is authentic.

http://thedeltagrill.com/

Steve in Philly

Thanks - y'all are awesome! I'll have to check these out and report back.

I am soooo ready for a vacation...

Pizza: Famous Ray's Pizza, Corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street --- Accept no imitations!

Southern Italian: Carmine's, 44th and Broadway or 91st and Broadway --- Family style italian, still the best I've ever had (don't forget the mouthwash)

Chinese: Wo Hop, 17 Mott Street (downstairs) --- it looks like a hole in the wall...because it is; still the best chinese food around at prices that can't be beat!

Pizza: Famous Ray's Pizza, Corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street --- Accept no imitations!

Southern Italian: Carmine's, 44th and Broadway or 91st and Broadway --- Family style italian, still the best I've ever had (don't forget the mouthwash)

Chinese: Wo Hop, 17 Mott Street (downstairs) --- it looks like a hole in the wall...because it is; still the best chinese food around at prices that can't be beat!

The Famous Rays on 53rd and 7th is quite a bit better. Make sure to try the Bacon & Pepperoni slice. Little Itally Pizza on 43rd and Madison/Vanderbilt is also MOST EXCELLENT.

Wo Hop is dirty dirty chinese food of the lowest quality (especially the downstairs part of it!!! the whole thing is for tourists)...although still somehow a step up for Mott St and most of the rest of Chinatown.
Unfortunately, THE best place in the city...Tea Den...closed earlier this year. Tea Den has however merged with West Side Cottage II on 9th avenue and I think 50th or so. West Side Cottage was considered pretty much the best chinese food in the city throughout most of the 90s. It's really so sad that the best of it is not in Chinatown.

Sorry to be a contradictory asshole but there's one thing I know and it's food. :D

Oh yeah. Grab a Cajun Burger and Black and White shake from "Island Burger and Shakes" on 42nd and 9th. Best milkshakes in the city for delivery...hands down.

There's this really neat greek-owned pizza place on the Upper West Side called Uncle Nick's. Forget the cross-streets exactly.

The Famous Rays on 53rd and 7th is quite a bit better. Make sure to try the Bacon & Pepperoni slice. Little Itally Pizza on 43rd and Madison/Vanderbilt is also MOST EXCELLENT.

Wo Hop is dirty dirty chinese food of the lowest quality (especially the downstairs part of it!!! the whole thing is for tourists)...although still somehow a step up for Mott St and most of the rest of Chinatown.
Unfortunately, THE best place in the city...Tea Den...closed earlier this year. Tea Den has however merged with West Side Cottage II on 9th avenue and I think 50th or so. West Side Cottage was considered pretty much the best chinese food in the city throughout most of the 90s. It's really so sad that the best of it is not in Chinatown.

Sorry to be a contradictory asshole but there's one thing I know and it's food. :D

Yes, Wo Hop is dingy. But the food is FANTASTIC. You see lines at 7 PM and 7 AM. Long a Civil Service haunt, you will feel safe with all the cops, sanmen, and construction people eating there. The place is NO "Tourist trap".

Also, you want GENUINE NY Pizza? Hop on the Q train and come to Brooklyn. Take the Q and get off at the Avenue J stop. Walk to DiFara's on E.15th and J. It is an old, dingy place with $2.75 slices.......and worth every penny! You will wait for your slices......but the wait is well worth it. The pizza is tangy, and the crust is nice and thin. Dom makes a real "Old-School" pizza. Am I lying? This is one of the few pizza joints that is Zagat rated, and long considered one of NYC's best pizza places.

Peace,
Ray C.

Given all the hype Wo Hops gets, the food really doesn't live up to it. It's good, but not as incredible as the "Wo Hops is amazing and you eat with celebrities!!!!1oneone" fanboys like to say :)

Oh yeah. Grab a Cajun Burger and Black and White shake from "Island Burger and Shakes" on 42nd and 9th. Best milkshakes in the city for delivery...hands down.

Unless they've moved in the past year, Island Burger is at 51st and 9th. Great recommendation though, that's my favorite burger joint in the city.

As for BBQ though...Virgil's? Really? I'd rank them above Dallas, but below lots of other places. Daisy May's, R.U.B., Blue Smoke, and Dinosaur all have superior stuff in my opinion. Virgil's is alright, but the flavor really doesn't stand out.

Dinosaur BBQ is awesome...but a bit far uptown. I already sorta mentioned Blue Smoke...it's the upstairs restaurant of Jazz Standard.

As for BBQ though...Virgil's? Really? I'd rank them above Dallas, but below lots of other places. Daisy May's, R.U.B., Blue Smoke, and Dinosaur all have superior stuff in my opinion. Virgil's is alright, but the flavor really doesn't stand out.

Blue Smoke is overrated. The portions are skimpy, it is covered with BBQ sauce that is hit and miss, and outside of the ribs, the menu is meh.

Virgil's uses a "dry rub" which can rub people the wrong way. The meat is so tender you can just pull it clean from the bone. Really good stuff.