NYC - Restaurant Recommendations?

Blue Smoke is overrated. The portions are skimpy, it is covered with BBQ sauce that is hit and miss, and outside of the ribs, the menu is meh.

Virgil's uses a "dry rub" which can rub people the wrong way. The meat is so tender you can just pull it clean from the bone. Really good stuff.

In all fairness I haven't been to Blue Smoke in several years, so it may have changed in that time, but I found nothing skimpy or overly saucy about their stuff the couple times I went there. It's semi-fanciness may put off hardcore BBQ folk, but their meat is legit.

And I'm familiar with dry rubs, that isn't my problem. Tenderness is only one small part of good ribs...flavor, whether it be smoky, sweet, salty, tangy, vinegary, or whatever, is much more important to me, and Virgil's doesn't match up there.

I forgot to add a couple of places to this list.
LATE-NIGHT FARE: Since you will be coming back on the 7 Line from Flushing Meadows, you might want to detour to Astoria for some excellent grub. Even better, they are both at a subway stop! The first place is Mike's Diner on 31st and Ditmars Blvd. The food is good, the service is friendly, and you can walk out dropping about $20 for two people. Very convieniently located at the end of the N Line (Take the 7 Train to Queensboro Plaza, go UPSTAIRS, grab the Northbound N Train, and take it to the last stop, Ditmars Blvd., 9 minutes away). Mike's is located three doors away from the Subway steps. Traditional diner where you can order burgers at 3 AM and Pancakes at 3 PM. Long considered one of NYC's best.

Another solid stop is the Neptune Diner on Astoria Blvd. (Same directions as above, only get off at Astoria Blvd and go down the north stairwell.) The burgers are highly recommended. The omelets are nice and fluffy. Coffee is fabulous. Like Mike's, Neptune is considered one of NYC's best. In most polls, they flip-flop 1&2 citywide.

Peace,
Ray C.

I lived in Astoria for about 8 years, and my apt was about half-way between Mike's and the Neptune. They are both good, but I HIGHLY prefer the Neptune. :)

Stephanie

Thanks again to everyone for the restaurant suggestions! Here are the recommended restaurants I made it to:

Carmine’s – I ate at the bar so I could get a “single serving” of pasta, which still could have fed a small army. Then I ordered the Tiramisu, which did *not* come as a single serving – and garnered some amused looks from my fellow bar patrons. :heh:

Virgil’s – I’m actually not a huge BBQ fan, but I checked out the menu, and they had me at “homemade biscuits” and “chocolate chess pie.” Mmmm…

Café Europa – Had breakfast here one day…good call on the coffee!

Finally, my last supper before I had to leave was a slice of pepperoni pizza from Famous Ray’s, plus a slice of cheesecake from Carnegie Deli. (I was tempted to order the Chicago-style pizza, which I really love, but I figured that would be blasphemy). The pizza and the cheesecake were both were excellent, but I am soooo going to pay for this at my Weight Watchers weigh-in on Sunday.

I’ll definitely have to make another trip back to check out the rest of the recommendations. I had matinee theater tickets* both days that I had free, which really cut into the day. I’d love to have a couple of days next time with no specific agenda.

*Wicked was AWESOME. I really want to see this again, as I spent too much time on the first viewing comparing the theater production to the book. I also went to see Xanadu for a bit of nostalgia, as I’m one of the 5 people who actually went to see the movie when it was in theaters. That one was fun, but I wouldn’t pay to see it a second time…and I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who wasn’t already a fan of the music.