Oldschool Swedm Appreciation Thread

Anyone watch Bill Maher last night? He had a Harvard Professor who basically said that our current healthcare system can't support itself much longer, especially with the economy the way it is. And that we have one of the most expensive and least effective systems in the world. A single pay Govt plan would actually be better for our economy.

Anyone watch Bill Maher last night? He had a Harvard Professor who basically said that our current healthcare system can't support itself much longer, especially with the economy the way it is. And that we have one of the most expensive and least effective systems in the world. A single pay Govt plan would actually be better for our economy.

Least effective? No. I'm pretty sure Ethiopia, Kenya, and Mongolia have HC systems that are much worse /obvious. Single pay system better? Probably not. Academics like to shit up their own ass with theories and solutions that have never been implemented based on what they think would happen, though completely disregarding situational economics and things called variables. Single pay government system would be good right now... for poor people. People who aren't shit outta luck and made a dollar or two want flexible options.

OT: I got Grave - Dominion VIII promo last year and I thought it was pretty kickass for an older band. Any suggestions to older albums? I am teh nubz...

As Gadlor pointed out, you are definitely an intelligent dude, so don't take this as anything more than friendly fisticuffs my good man.

Least effective?

Well certainly one of. The WHO ranks us at like 36 or something for healthcare and 50 for life-expectancy.

Single pay system better? Probably not.

Can you prove it? Plenty of statistics and research show that in the long run it is indeed cheaper to have a socialized system.

Academics like to shit up their own ass with theories and solutions that have never been implemented simply based on simple S/D models that "should help recessed economies", though completely disregarding situational economics and things called variables.

I'm not sure what you mean here... Socialized medicine has never been implemented? And certainly, I'd trust ANYTHING coming out of academia than what's on TV or in the newspapers or whatever.

On the topic of Grave, get their debut full-length.

As Gadlor pointed out, you are definitely an intelligent dude, so don't take this as anything more than friendly fisticuffs my good man.

I will try my best not to murder you over a friendly internet debate.:loco:

Well certainly one of. The WHO ranks us at like 36 or something for healthcare and 50 for life-expectancy.

Out of 195 countries total. 36'th means top 20% :kickass:. Our life expectancy is poor because we are, by a long stretch, the fattest country on the globe. Even being the fattest we are still in the top 1/4.

Can you prove it? Plenty of statistics and research show that in the long run it is indeed cheaper to have a socialized system.

Yeah my initial post was made drunk, so it didn't come out right. It would be much cheaper in the long run with the single pay gov't run system, but that is not a viable solution right now. You don't try to help a recessed economy (an economy that needs more jobs and more spending) by destroying an entire industry which 1) significantly increases already record high unemployment rates 2) drives down spending and 3) makes a mess of benefits, which is a huge issue within itself.

Again, good idea, bad time. It's not stupid to aim for a socialized system in the long run, but right now saying that that is the answer is pretty "ignorant politician" of whichever dude said it. Don't shoe it in just because, "well it's cheaper and it works for Sweden!"

I'm not sure what you mean here... Socialized medicine has never been implemented? And certainly, I'd trust ANYTHING coming out of academia than what's on TV or in the newspapers or whatever.

See last sentence in other paragraph. I do trust academics, but they deal in hypotheticals, which can backfire given different scenarios. I would never trust the TVs or papers because they are publicists, same motives as politicians. Get more (votes, readers, etc.). I think taking information from people who have a responsible economic recovery as their #1 priority is the best bet. I love how the fucking SEC is suing Bank of America for "withholding information from shareholders". Sometimes you have to take a hit to save a system! (not drugs) :loco:

Out of 195 countries total. 36'th means top 20% :kickass:. Our life expectancy is poor because we are, by a long stretch, the fattest country on the globe. Even being the fattest we are still in the top 1/4.

Of those 195 countries, how many of those are truly first-world countries? Not many.

Obesity is part of our life-expectancy issue, in fact I'll even go as far to say that it's the principal reason for this. However, you can bet your ass that a good chunk also has to do with A) Big Pharma overmedicating us, and B) insurance companies not giving a fuck about whether we live or die.

However, our current state of affairs will greatly influence our obesity problems. If we can regulate healthcare and provide a good system, the next logical step would be to regulate food companies and restaurants (even more so) so we don't eat dogshit. I hate to bring up Sweden again, but they are a great example of how this shit works. They regulate their meats, to a point where Mayhem couldn't even bring in prop pig heads for a gig, so that the food they eat is generally healthier.

It would be much cheaper in the long run with the single pay gov't run system, but that is not a viable solution right now. You don't try to help a recessed economy (an economy that needs more jobs and more spending) by destroying an entire industry which 1) significantly increases already record high unemployment rates 2) drives down spending and 3) makes a mess of benefits, which is a huge issue within itself.

The argument I heard, was that our current healthcare system is so expensive as it is that it could further cripple our economy at this state. So even if you are right it sounds like we'd be fucked either way.

Again, good idea, bad time. It's not stupid to aim for a socialized system in the long run, but right now saying that that is the answer is pretty "ignorant politician" of whichever dude said it. Don't shoe it in just because, "well it's cheaper and it works for Sweden!"

Well as I said in an earlier statement, a part of me agrees with this I guess. I do think that Obama should have lowered unemployment a bit before fo
cusing on healthcare, but the fact is simply that if it's not taken care of now, it might never be taken care of.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have to call Blockbuster Online customer service and yell at them for sending me a totally broken copy of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and consider switching to Netflix.

Of those 195 countries, how many of those are truly first-world countries? Not many.

Hence my fancy rhetoric :cool:

Obesity is part of our life-expectancy issue, in fact I'll even go as far to say that it's the principal reason for this. However, you can bet your ass that a good chunk also has to do with A) Big Pharma overmedicating us, and B) insurance companies not giving a fuck about whether we live or die.

However, our current state of affairs will greatly influence our obesity problems. If we can regulate healthcare and provide a good system, the next logical step would be to regulate food companies and restaurants (even more so) so we don't eat dogshit. I hate to bring up Sweden again, but they are a great example of how this shit works. They regulate their meats, to a point where Mayhem couldn't even bring in prop pig heads for a gig, so that the food they eat is generally healthier.

Very true and in the case of Sweden it has been incredible. It just boils down to trusting the government to provide a well-executed service. The thought of the US government regulating one of the largest industries in the "most free nation on the planet" just doesn't sit well with people looking to avoid the obvious, and right-winged assfucks. Plus I'd be amazed if a $65,000 park in Tennessee was NOT part of the Health Care bill. Fucking earmarks. Anyway that really isn't the point, or a good argument. I just don't know if our government is capable of doing it correctly. I guess we'll see over the next decade or two most likely. Also, I don't know if proper meat regulations would keep people from Wisconsin away from the Cinnabon :erk:.

The argument I heard, was that our current healthcare system is so expensive as it is that it could further cripple our economy at this state. So even if you are right it sounds like we'd be fucked either way.

Yes. I just would like to see America take a less mighty shaft for the time being. Save the reform for an appropriate time.

Well as I said in an earlier statement, a part of me agrees with this I guess. I do think that Obama should have lowered unemployment a bit before fo
cusing on healthcare, but the fact is simply that if it's not taken care of now, it might never be taken care of.

I think he has 3 more years (all of which would be a much better time to do this) to try it out, but everyone is caught under the spending spell. It's like "well we've pissed away this much why not just make this a monumental spending period". Who knows, it might work out wonderfully.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have to call Blockbuster Online customer service and yell at them for sending me a totally broken copy of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and consider switching to Netflix.

Do it. I had blockbuster for 6 months. Cancelled. Charged me another 6 months. Cancelled + refunded. Somehow put on a free trial with my credit info on file. Failures.

Now I'm by no means any sort of expert or anything, and I have absolutely nothing solid to back me up, but as far as I can recall from Fast Food Nation and some guest I saw on Bill Maher whose name I forget, there's already a hell of a lot of food industry regulation, and it's pretty much the cause of a lot of unhealthy food being pushed on us. I'm not saying that all government regulation causes food quality to decrease or anything like that, but rather that there's more money to be made for Congressmen by bowing down to lobbyists from the Shitty Food Industry (or more specifically, corn, hence corn syrup is in everything). I can't help but think the real change in the food industry is gonna have to come from people making responsible choices about what they put inside them (lol), and I don't think that is gonna happen until there's a positive shift in the economy, since eating crap is often easier, more convenient, and cheaper than eating healthy.

This forum lacks angry bible-beating conspiracy theorizing neocons. Anyone want to volunteer?
The Illuminati intentionally caused the financial crisis by pushing subprime mortgages on banks so they could socialize everything. Duh.

Now I'm by no means any sort of expert or anything, and I have absolutely nothing solid to back me up, but as far as I can recall from Fast Food Nation and some guest I saw on Bill Maher whose name I forget, there's already a hell of a lot of food industry regulation, and it's pretty much the cause of a lot of unhealthy food being pushed on us. I'm not saying that all government regulation causes food quality to decrease or anything like that, but rather that there's more money to be made for Congressmen by bowing down to lobbyists from the Shitty Food Industry (or more specifically, corn, hence corn syrup is in everything). I can't help but think the real change in the food industry is gonna have to come from people making responsible choices about what they put inside them (lol), and I don't think that is gonna happen until there's a positive shift in the economy, since eating crap is often easier, more convenient, and cheaper than eating healthy.

The regulation of our food industry isn't near what it should be. Last year, I had a conversation with one of my Swedish friends about McDonalds and I asked him "you actually eat that shit?" and he was like "Yeah sometimes, what's wrong with it?" In Sweden, they mandate that all beef must be local and no meat can be imported. Things are more expensive this way, but you're not eating catfood sammiches either. Here, McDonalds and the like imports its beef from Korea because it's cheaper than local American beef. Just so these companies make a quick buck, they serve unhealthy shit to their customers filled with preservatives in unclean conditions and then when we get obese from eating aforementioned shit, the doctors don't really do anything to help you because there's no money in Big Pharma and the like in losing weight. It's a non-issue to them.

Recently we've made some changes like how my city (NYC) was one of the first to ban restaurants from using trans-fat. But it's not enough. The Libertarian concensus is that this is 'Merika and we should be allowed to eat what ever the fuck we want... but that shit just makes me laugh. Where does it say in the constitution that we can poison ourselves if it tastes good?

God caused the financial crisis by pushing subprime mortgages on banks because we don't kill enuff fagz.

Fixed. ;)

Froosch has a point with the 'shitty food being forced on us.'

It's not exactly being forced on us, but the government does have a role that they play - which isn't exactly helping. They subsidize corn production out the WAZOOOOOOO so it is the cheapest carbohydrate-y thing you can work with in the United States.

If they subsidized wheat that much instead? Well, we'd all be eating wheat products. I think it's gotten better (wheat is the second most subsidized, but it's still half of what corn gets), but I just don't see the point in pumping that much money into corn.

You can also argue that ethanol made from corn is a good use of subsidy money, but ethanol is just a shittier fuel than gasoline. Sugar cane is wayyyyy better (you can grow more per acre, it has more energy return). Tech is improving but it seems like they kind of put the carriage before the horse on this one.