Ontario Metal.

From the Canadian Metal Thread, to be discussed further here:

Me to "Black Death" - yeah man, I hear ya + thanks for posting the Canadian Metal thread! We (Woods) are just obviously on this kick of differentiating ourselves from the broad Canadian metal scene and defining ourselves as an 'Ontario Metal' band right now, especially with the release of "Woods 3" (Ontario themes, Coat of Arms, Trilliums, Windsor, The North, the highways 17 & 69, etc...). I love the metal unity you see in a country such as Finland that is overflowing with metal bands and is just small enough geographically to be able to put on things like the annual "Finnish Metal Expo" and the "Finnish Metal Awards" etc... You couldn't dare try those kinds of things in Canada because even if to be fair it were hosted dead center in the middle of the country in Winnipeg Manitoba, 95% of the bands, supporters and press wouldn't show due to the costs and length of the epic journey of travel to get there from either side of the country (the sheer size of Canada is a contributing factor to the scattered metal scene that never really quite gets going here). Ontario however, might just be small enough to pull something like this off. The Annual "Ontario Metal Expo and Awards" promoting and exposing metal from Ontario. Some metal hardasses wil think that an 'awards' show would be against what metal is supposed to be about, but I believe it would simply bring more attention to the music and give bands something more to strive for. Someone has to start it, we might as well have a hand in it!

btw - didn't Quebec have some awesome 25 years of Quebec Metal Festival recently? Do they already have a Quebec Metal awards / expo type of thing? That's a great example of the type of things that should be happening in Ontario!

Me to "Black Death" - yeah man, I hear ya + thanks for posting the Canadian Metal thread! We (Woods) are just obviously on this kick of differentiating ourselves from the broad Canadian metal scene and defining ourselves as an 'Ontario Metal' band right now, especially with the release of "Woods 3" (Ontario themes, Coat of Arms, Trilliums, Windsor, The North, the highways 17 & 69, etc...). I love the metal unity you see in a country such as Finland that is overflowing with metal bands and is just small enough geographically to be able to put on things like the annual "Finnish Metal Expo" and the "Finnish Metal Awards" etc... You couldn't dare try those kinds of things in Canada because even if to be fair it were hosted dead center in the middle of the country in Winnipeg Manitoba, 95% of the bands, supporters and press wouldn't show due to the costs and length of the epic journey of travel to get there from either side of the country (the sheer size of Canada is a contributing factor to the scattered metal scene that never really quite gets going here). Ontario however, might just be small enough to pull something like this off. The Annual "Ontario Metal Expo and Awards" promoting and exposing metal from Ontario. Some metal hardasses wil think that an 'awards' show would be against what metal is supposed to be about, but I believe it would simply bring more attention to the music and give bands something more to strive for. Someone has to start it, we might as well have a hand in it!

btw - didn't Quebec have some awesome 25 years of Quebec Metal Festival recently? Do they already have a Quebec Metal awards / expo type of thing? That's a great example of the type of things that should be happening in Ontario!

Love this post. Lets get something going!

Love this post. Lets get something going!

I would seriously like this to happen! The "Annual Ontario Metal Expo and Awards"!!! WTF is it for? To acknowledge and create press and awareness about Ontario metal bands who are releasing albums each year. The first idea that comes to mind is to hold something like this late in the year once most all the calendar year's metal albums have been released, maybe November, just after memorial day, but before the xmas rush (with people having to attend xmas work parties etc...). + Nothing much else happens in November.

Two ways to do it: 1) Have it in Toronto every year (maybe a MUST!) or 2) Hold it in a different Ontario city each year (based on demand!) to move it around and focus on the scenes in other cities and expose their metal, too! What are the scenes?

Toronto (& Greater Toronto area), Hamilton, London, Windsor, Ottawa, Sudbury, and as far as Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay (the last two basically being one venue towns that are used as travel stops for touring bands passing through)

On a Saturday, bands all afternoon and evening, maybe a presentation of sorts around 8-9, and then 3-4 headliners from anywhere. Budget for 200 paid tickets the first year and see how things go.

A 'program' of sorts could be put together documenting the year's Ontario Metal releases and tours, w/ additional info on ressources and things for bands to help promote themselves and "Ontario Metal"...

Like I said, we can't just sit around and grow old waiting for shit like this to become a reality. Someone has to make it happen! These are just a few pipe dream ideas, there's lots than could be done to make this awesome! At the very least, 50-100 willing people/bandmembers participate in this and we have one hell of a metal drunkfest party! It's time to really start showing the personalities of the Ontario Metal scene!

That sounds like a fantastic idea, I'd be willing to hop on a bus for two hours and going to Toronto to check that out, it would be a milestone in Ontario and yes, Canadian metal. Plus it would just be a hell of a lot of fun.