Opeth forum to close -

La Rocque

I am that I am
May 22, 2004
an exit to eternal summer slacking
Mikael Åkerfeldt;8502136 said:
The amount of shit, rude posts and stuff I've seen here has escalated so much lately. We can't put our stamp of "approval" on this anymore. It's become a playground for immature kids trying to get a rise out of insulting people. We thought it'd be interesting to have a forum where Opeth fans could talk music. I too participated thinking some of you might appreciate that. Somehow it didn't work out and what's left is just a mess to be honest. So we'll close it down by the end of this week I hope. To be honest we should have done this a long time ago.
For those who are dissapointed I'm sure a new un-official forum will be available somewhere, but that's about it.
Unappealing you say? Well, that's tough....
I think you'll be able to pull through though, right?
Cheers
Mike

Does anyone here care?

I thought it was gone already.

Honestly i'm more bugged by the german invasion in DT's myspace. Someone ought to reclaim the band and bring it back in english.

Ahhhh, the Opeth forum. I was so ridiculously naive about everything when I first started posting there. The first year or two were rather eye-opening indeed. Those were the days...

That band can't really have a forum. They're too big, too many people of all ages who listen to it. I feel bad because Opeth is one of my favorite bands ever, but I've never, ever posted in that forum for a reason. It's really zany!

What the band should do is have a blog, comments, it'll give them more control of feedback rather than having to moderate threads...

Gotta love a moderating post that starts with "the amount of shit". I'm going to open my next 10 posts with equally enticing phrases, such as "the pressure on the scrotum" or "the trumpet of the arse".

To be honest, I'm surprised there's still people out there devoting their time to mess up a metal band's forum. What with all the dumbing down the Internet has gone through in the past five years I would have thought most morons by now would have migrated to the extremes: either Facebook groups about high-school gym teachers or one liners about Michael Jackson's death. One-upping the poster above you with cheap sarcasm and hate towards humanity? Well, I feel young all over again!

Yup. If you're well known enough, people will troll you. And trolling never gets old on the internet, because more people are born every year... ^_^

It's ok for the forum to be random and zany, but in the Opeth forum it's like RAGE RAGE RAGE. It's a really neat byproduct of becoming relatively famous; Akerfelt doesn't seem like the kind of guy who enjoys the fame very much, even if he digs the fact that a bunch of people like and listen to his music. I wonder if it's demoralizing seeing who your fans actually are via the internet?

Then again, it's a big contrast to the energy the band gets from the crowd at a concert. Guess with the big, loud and enthusiastic crowds comes the unbalanced... PEOPLE FROM THE INTERNET!!!! :O

Somehow, this reminds me of an article many years ago about DT in one of the Swedish metal magazines (either Sweden Rock or Close-Up, can't remember which) where the band's fans were characterised based on this forum - I think 'displaying higher intelligence than average' was one verdict after reading and judging the posts here (compared to what, I wonder then, and maybe it was the Opeth forum).

I'm only surprised that this wasn't done years ago. That forum has always been full of idiots.
Good riddance I say, let's just hope those idiots don't realize that other bands have forums
on UM... tho I kinda doubt they would, they are idiots after all.

Ah, lovely to get my hate on.

I'm only surprised that this wasn't done years ago. That forum has always been full of idiots.
Good riddance I say, let's just hope those idiots don't realize that other bands have forums
on UM... tho I kinda doubt they would, they are idiots after all.

Ah, lovely to get my hate on.

Har har I loved this post. But yeah, maybe they won't realise that there're other Swedish bands :zombie: .

When the moderator is an ass, everything is tolerated, that's why this forum still lives on :) More of an elitist retirement home actually. Let's hope next DT album is more than Stanne's voice, Niki we need you!!!

Funny seeing all the posts on UM about how the Opeth forum was doomed to be closed down. Nevertheless I have realized the forum was full of worthless postings and trolling without any interesting discussion actually relating to the band.

The Opeth forum has totally blown shit and hasn't had very many visits from me in the last few years. Even back in 2004-2006 it was starting to get real stupid and immature with alot of lame posts, elementary questions, 13-18 snot-nosed mooching/file sharing, alot of disgraceful behaivor and people comparing puberty growth. It was a playground of special ed. kids who weren't really special ed, just willfully vandalizing a band worthy of mature, serious discussion. The air really shows at Opeth shows too...the last one I was at actually wasn't bad as far as fans go, but that was just one show...all the Opeth shows in the past had lame faggots screaming dumb things. That being said, I don't leave any Opeth show dissappointed. I usually can block those fans out since my focus is the music...still though, I still can't comprehend to this day why people have to be so lame when it comes to expressing one's thoughts about Opeth. Behave accordingly next time.