Opinions on a heavier Symphony X album

I think that the heaviness didn't add anything to the music, unlike heavy tracks on other albums.
I want back the old one...
I want back Mr Harpsichord-Pinnella
This basically sums it up for me. Look at the Masquerade remake - totally heavy, but it has that neoclassical sound that they kick so much ass at. And the whole V album - very symphonic, but very heavy.

I'm not saying I won't like it, but I hope they don't pull a ToT on us. :)

I am 100% sure that Symph X will put out a good album..even if you say, don't like it as much. Even on a bad album, the kill a good chunk of bands out there.

That being said, I would love to hear the heavy stuff combined with their neoclassical atmosphere they achived on earlier albums. It would be dark beauty!

IMHO, The Odyssey is as heavy as i at most want it to be.
Some of the tracks suffer from their heaviness by losing melody and a certain "beauty" (not to be confused with the softness of the song).
With The Odyssey I experienced the first Symphony X - album where I regularly skip certain tracks like The Turning and Incanations of the Apprentice.
I hope that the next album doesn't completely drift in that direction - it would be a great loss!

I just hope they kind of cut the too straightforward songs (like Incantations and The Turning). I don't know.. I can't say I don't like those tunes but somehow I skip them when they come on.

ProgMetalFan said:
I like the idea of less orchestration.
Agreed. I could live without orchestration (although Romeo´s is exceptionally good), but I´d really love some unique, guitar-independent stuff by Pinnella and Lepond, like on "Awakenings". Really don´t care too much for basic Metal songs like "Incantations of the Apprentice" or "The Turning".

It can be heavy as long as it has variety, I think the song TDWOT has the best examples how you can mix heavy stuff with orchestration and keyboards.

That's right Progbass, I'm not saying we need Odyssey-level orchestration, but whatever Pinella can provide with his keys is good. As long as it's THERE, and not covered by a thrashy guitar riff.

There is no reason to Symphony X to make a heavier album than The Odyssey! I believe that they should explore ALL their talent and composing ability to make an open and dynamic record, that probably will surprise all of their fans...

Odyssey was kind of Romeo oriented. Upfront guitars and everything, not too deep stuff... I'm a guitar player so I completely love MJR but If I'm in the need of some heavy chunky guitar stuff I'll go listen to good ole' Pantera. :headbang:

I love the Odyssey. However, something I don't love about The Odyssey is the lack of Pinnella's keys when it's NOT "solo time". They just weren't there like they were on songs like Through The Looking Glass, Communion And The Oracle, etc.

Heavy, sure. But don't push P into the background! And louder bass guitar, Mike!

I hope in a more prog album. Heavier or not, I love the "The edge of forever" or "Through the looking glass" style, with a lot of rhythm changes, odd tempos and epic lyrics! I don't want another "Train of thought" even if it's a good heavy metal album, but not so prog...

I'll listen to Dream Theater next Saturday in Rome.

Emanuele

the_satanic_rabbit said:
I'm getting ready for St. Anger SX style. Maybe Romeo can just remove the E and B strings so it's REAL PHAT. I can't wait for the SX / Linkin Park Tour 2005.
That would be awesome... If they only could throw in some Eminem, it would rock everything

Well, I've always thought that MJR was a pretty kickass rythm player as well, so a heavier album would better display his kickass rythm skills. As long as there are some great solo's to boot, i'm game.