Opinions on a heavier Symphony X album

I think the heaviness factor has worked well for Symphony X in some places; but it has also created some muddiness of their usually superlative textures in others; namely on The Odyssey.

The heavy production works especially well on "Inferno" and "Wicked"(with that killer riff). But I felt it was coated a bit too much thick on tracks like "The Turning" and on the meatier parts of the lighter songs "Accolade II" and "Awakenings". I mean, it was made to sound a little heavier than it should have been. Although the title track, I felt, was handled fine by this process.

Make no mistake, I love the album; but I just hope that when they produce their next gem they don't go any further than necessary for making their killer compositions as killer as they can be.

But other examples from SX past where heaviness has worked sublimely well-

"Pharaoh" and "In The Dragon's Den".
I'd be all for more heavier songs like all those favorably mentioned above.

Irregardless though, "The Odyssey" was my most anticipated album of all time and SX Album #7 now is my most anticipated album of all time.

I suppose "heavy" could refer to the overal message of the album rather than the music itself...

But, whatever it is they produce, it's going to be Symphony X. They have established their own identity and I cannot see them diverting from it. Heavy or whatever, it's still going to be written by the same people who have written all the other SymX songs. They may be at a completely different point in their careers/lives/attitudes/whatever and that will reflect in their music. If it didn't, the music would be a lie. Let them write what they want to and digest it accordingly. If you hate it, sell it on eBay; if you love it, let the band know you can't stop listening to it. And buy more copies.

I'm just anxious to hear some new stuff!

Of course I personally do not question the authenticity of the band. They've shown for 6 albums now that they have true musician spirit and care for writing good music, whether it sells or not. Let's not forget it was Divine Wings (or better Twilight) that gave the band a bit of the recognition they deserve.
I am positive SX will overcome themselves once more. Still, expressing an opinion or thought is not necessarily bad :)

I heard the 7th cd is being recorded on a 4 track in a wyntyry forest in the depths of New Jersey to capture a more brvtal and cvlt sound. Count Grishnak also guest vocals (whole song actually) on the new epic.

I would love for another DWOT style, but it aint gonna happen this next album, maybe their 8th album they can go back to their roots (one can only hope anyway).

I'm fine with a heavier album this time around as long as like someone said before it doesnt go all train of thought on us.

I dont want SyX to start sounding like Opeth, thats what I have Opeth for. I want SyX to sound like SyX. I could be wrong but I am a little worried that there might not be any or hardly any orchestration this time around, that would be disappointing but hey they might just pull it all off.

KOT style was good for me, its was very heavy but also interesting. Lyric wise though, most of The Odyssey was not that great, so I hope they have some great ones this time around. I'd love for the lyrics to get back to DWOT style, those were the best.

Enough ranting, I'm sure the next album will be spectacular \m/

Usually when bands say their new album is gonna be really heavy it turns out being a little 'softer-in-the-cock' than you were lead to believe.....with SX i don't think it matters.