OT - Exclusive interview with Anthrax forum member ironmaidenfan09

and if you think that the groove-rock on WCFYA is "Metal" then you're a dumbass.

Groove-Rock....?
and I'm the dumbass? (By the way I'm aware that my name is dumbass)
Seriously, you might as well call it Newwave-Polka Fusion, that would be no less retarded. If we are going to now start suggesting that Bush era Anthrax was not Metal then all hope for humanity is lost.
Le monde est fini. :(

Anthrax stopped being "Metal" with the release of Stomp 442 including a new bandlogo, songs like "Nothing", "Bare", "Toast To The Extras", "Harms Way", "Hog Tied", "Big Phat", "Alpha Male", "Stealing From A Thief", "Pieces", "Superhero", "Refuse To Be Denied", "Safe Home", "Caddilac Rock Box", "Taking The Music Back", "Think About An End", "WCFYA" are Dumbasses definition of METAL.:lol:

i remember reading an interview with Scott Ian in german Metal Hammer-magazine in '94 and Scott said something like "Heavy Metal? when i think about Heavy Metal then i think about the year 1981, that was a long time ago when Anthrax was a Metal-band, you can call it "Hard Rock", just call it "Rock", to me we're just a Rock 'n' Roll-band".

and in 2003 they used guitar-picks with "Metal = Anthrax" printed on, i would call this a problem of identity.:lol:

Anthrax stopped being "Metal" with the release of Stomp 442 including a new bandlogo, songs like "Nothing", "Bare", "Toast To The Extras", "Harms Way", "Hog Tied", "Big Phat", "Alpha Male", "Stealing From A Thief", "Pieces", "Superhero", "Refuse To Be Denied", "Safe Home", "Caddilac Rock Box", "Taking The Music Back", "Think About An End", "WCFYA" are Dumbasses definition of METAL.:lol:

i remember reading an interview with Scott Ian in german Metal Hammer-magazine in '94 and Scott said something like "Heavy Metal? when i think about Heavy Metal then i think about the year 1981, that was a long time ago when Anthrax was a Metal-band, you can call it "Hard Rock", just call it "Rock", to me we're just a Rock 'n' Roll-band".

and in 2003 they used guitar-picks with "Metal = Anthrax" printed on, i would call this a problem of identity.:lol:

At that time metal was all but dead. Only the hardcore metal bands that didn't give a fuck about new/cuttent trends kept on being metal bands. The good ones survived it and the band ones didn't. Then there were the other metal bands that thought they could change their style to fit in with the current trends and failed. Then they had a huge identity crisis when they didn't even know which way to go next.

Anthrax got scared and tried everything they could to stay 'current' but that didn't do anything for them except for alienate their old school following.

Anthrax have always been my favorite out of all the big four bands. I grew up with Anthrax since Among the living. When they changed singers I though they were all done ....yes the style changed but the writing was still unique they still pumped out great material. In the end it boils down to this ....Your either open minded to different sounds or your stuck in the eighties....Thrashier doesn't constitute being more metal or being bad ass heavy.

Your either open minded to different sounds or your stuck in the eighties....Thrashier doesn't constitute being more metal or being bad ass heavy.

So you think they were just as 'metal' when the changed their main sound after POT onwards?

Bands like Slayer, Pantera, Exodus, Testament etc were 'stuck in the 80's'? So if you were a fan of Testaments "The Gathering" album which was brutal thrash metal, that means you were stuck in the 80's?

No offense. But this logic is ridiculous.

Being open minded to other types of music is great. I love a lot of different styles of music. But when it comes to an established thrash metal band like Anthrax, I don't want them changing their style to fit in with current trends. I want them to produce quality Thrash metal like they were known for and good at. There are plenty of ways to stay 'modern' yet keep your Thrash metal roots. You don't have to jump off of a bridge because the scene is changing and you are scared. Stay true to yourself and your music and everything will pan out in the end. Just ask Iron Maiden and Slayer..now go ask Anthrax how well off they are now :)

Overkill have also changed their sound in the 90's but they have always stayed true to their Thrash-roots, they became more groove-oriented and they also experimented with new sounds and their '93 album 'I Hear Black' is considered not to be metal or being grunge by their hardcore-fans but they didn't forget about The Thrash and the speed in their songs like Anthrax and most of all they stayed heavy and uncommercial that's why they are so respected among true metalheads. i think Overkill are one of the best bands combining groove and speed and no matter if they are playing faster or slower they are always heavy as f**k.

Overkill have also changed their sound in the 90's but they have always stayed true to their Thrash-roots, they became more groove-oriented and they also experimented with new sounds and their '93 album 'I Hear Black' is considered not to be metal or being grunge by their hardcore-fans but they didn't forget about The Thrash and the speed in their songs like Anthrax and most of all they stayed heavy and uncommercial that's why they are so respected among true metalheads. i think Overkill are one of the best bands combining groove and speed and no matter if they are playing faster or slower they are always heavy as f**k.

I could never really get into Overkill. The vocals are really hard for me to deal with. A little bit too power metal sounding for my taste. They have some great riffs and are definitely one of those bands that always stayed true to their roots. I like Iron Bound musically, but vocally its tough for me.

There are a lot of really good Thrash bands that made it out alive of the 90's without drastically going a different direction. That is pretty damn cool!

So you think they were just as 'metal' when the changed their main sound after POT onwards?

Bands like Slayer, Pantera, Exodus, Testament etc were 'stuck in the 80's'? So if you were a fan of Testaments "The Gathering" album which was brutal thrash metal, that means you were stuck in the 80's?

No offense. But this logic is ridiculous.

Being open minded to other types of music is great. I love a lot of different styles of music. But when it comes to an established thrash metal band like Anthrax, I don't want them changing their style to fit in with current trends. I want them to produce quality Thrash metal like they were known for and good at. There are plenty of ways to stay 'modern' yet keep your Thrash metal roots. You don't have to jump off of a bridge because the scene is changing and you are scared. Stay true to yourself and your music and everything will pan out in the end. Just ask Iron Maiden and Slayer..now go ask Anthrax how well off they are now :)

Even in the 80s Anthrax had a hard core punk influence and they mashed it up with thrash, it was great.The 90s found Anthrax experimenting with different ways to be heavy and capitalized on different sounds rather than playing it safe and doing the same old style.I liked the stuff with Belladonna and I like the stuff with Bush, for me its all about the writing and in my opinion they wrote some great material with Bush.I respect bands that have the balls to take a chance....Playing it safe would have equated Anthrax sticking with Belladonna and keeping it all the same.For instance I find little relation between what Maiden does now and what Maiden did back in the day.I'm sure they could have just kept on pumping out Powerslave or Seventh Son over and over But they choose to take some risks.As long as the writing is still consistent I'm still on board.

I agree with taking risks except for megadeth's album risk. That just plain out sucked.

Ride the lightening, master of puppets, and justice all followed the same formula to the tee. I don't think any other band has made 3 records so simular.