Please recommend some prog bands

A Reason To Sing

The tomato is a fruit
Nov 28, 2005
Bay Area, California U.S.
Aside from all the Opeth I listen to, heck, Opeth is everyday. I can't sleep without at least one Opeth song. It's become an everyday routine.

I like Dream Theater a lot! I prefer the older stuff to the newer, but Octavarium is a pretty solid album. When I bought it on it's debut, the album didn't really amaze. However, the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me. My favorite DT album would have to be Train of Thought. DT hosts some amazing guitarist(s)... I'll tell you that.

Pain of Salvation - Pain is wicked. Some of their stuff sort of feels like it isn't even metal at, but I like their music.

Porcupine Tree, Liquid Tension, Adagio, Cynic! (Focus rocks!), Spiral Architect' ...all kinds of good music.

Though I'm sure there's lots of talent that I haven't discovered yet.

-Peace

There are a lot of flavors of progressive

old skool 70's prog (Mikael was influenced by a lot of these guys)

-Camel
-Cressida
-Rush (of course)

Technical Metal (think Cynic)

-Atheist (if you haven't heard them before... omg!)
-Spiral Architect
-Gordian Knot
-Sieges Even
-Watchtower

eh that's all I can think of right now... kinda having a brain fart but there's a lot of cool stuff out there for sure. But there's only one Opeth!

Well, if you want to get to know the prog genre well, you should start looking in the 70's, for it was the golden age of prog, and most good prog albums were made then. http://www.progarchives.com is a very good place to start reading about prog bands and albums, it also has mp3 samples of most of them.

I recommend starting with:
Yes
Camel
King Crimson
Van Der Graaf Generator
Genesis

you'll find plenty more on the way. Most of these bands require many listens before their music starts to make sense in your ears, so be patient :) I myself am very fond of Italian prog, so check out Premiata Forneria Marconi and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso (for starters) if you like melodic, dramatic and well-conceived music.

If you're seeking more modern, metallic prog then I'd say Tool, The Mars Volta, Between the Buried And Me, Ulver are recommended. And again, there are plenty more.

Birkenau said:
King Crimson is the only prog rock band worth checking out. Ever.

Now there's an intelligent post. I'm sorry for mentioning all those other bands that are of course beyond crappy. I'm glad you, the Lord of Music, descended down to the forum of the Crappy Prog Band Opeth to share us your wisdom.

annt said:
Now there's an intelligent post. I'm sorry for mentioning all those other bands that are of course beyond crappy. I'm glad you, the Lord of Music, descended down to the forum of the Crappy Prog Band Opeth to share us your wisdom.
No problem. I should do this more often. :cool:

btw; Ulver have nothing to do with prog-rock.

Birkenau said:

Well, at least Blood Inside is heavily prog-influenced, and IMO there's a certain progressive attitude in their earlier work as well. But I guess it's not PRIMARILY prog rock.

progarchives is a great source.

lasercd.com's store also has excellent selections and short descriptions of prog cds.

also dprp.net has good reviews/news

Birkenau said:

It depends how you understand the word progressive. Of course, Ulver doesn's sound like i.e. Yes or Genesis... But if you understand 'progressive' as 'willing to do something new, experimenting, searching for the new musical dimesions' (and I think it should be understood this way), Ulver CAN be called progressive.
Well, whatever you call it, it's a great band.

A REASON TO SING - check out some of Steve Hackett's solo albums - my favourite are 'Voyage Of The Acolyte', 'Darktown', "To Watch The Storms" and absolutely brilliant DVD 'Somewhere in South America'.

annt said:
don't expect an intelligent post from someone whose nick is 'Birkenau'...

COG.
i absolutely adore opeth and tool, but these guys (for me) are on a very similar level. slightly lower, but still FKN GOOD.

band from australia, just released their debut lp. they've got 2 eps out as well. the eps are probably best compared to tool, but definitely have their own sound.

www.cog.com.au

i highly recommend listening to anything from the just visiting eps, or tracks "doors", or "the spine" from the new normal.

ENJOY!