Post a picture of your pets!

Is Indiana far from where you're at? I just looked into the Silver Ridge gamprs page and they seem to have some nice ones. Looks like they have a litter that arrived just a little over a week ago

I'm going to try and look for one out here since we have quite a few breeders. Hopefully i find one with good looking parents or else im gonna have to spend a good amount to get one form one of these "pro" breeders.

Yeah it's in my area of the universe, about 25 minutes to cross into Indiana. I got my boy from a breeder in Indiana. Obviously it depends where in Indiana. Most of the places right over the border are shithole ghettos (Gary, East Chicago, Whiting, etc.).

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Man i need to go see an allergist. My allergies have been going crazy ever since Milkshake got here. :( Just right now i was in my garage watching tv with her and i started sneezing, got all stuffed up and started wheezing. I've been really hoping this has nothign to do with her but man im almost sure it does. It feels like i'm having some sort of asthma attack at times.

Man i need to go see an allergist. My allergies have been going crazy ever since Milkshake got here. :( Just right now i was in my garage watching tv with her and i started sneezing, got all stuffed up and started wheezing. I've been really hoping this has nothign to do with her but man im almost sure it does. It feels like i'm having some sort of asthma attack at times.

Sucks, hopefully you can keep her.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Getting this big boy this Sunday! 4 hour drive there and back... totally worth it. 9 months old and already 120 pounds, an absolute unit of a dog.

We're naming him Luca Brasi.. after the Godfather character who is also a saint bernard.

Screenshot-2020-05-15-18-57-03.png

89595913-1672872339520752-3663941243353694208-n.jpg

16201844_116095363793.jpg

yea Dogos are ballsy and you can tell that one was the alpha of that pack. They're not even that big in comparison to some of these other dogs too. They're like a 100lbs but fearless as fuck.

btw since you mentioned bears. These dogs in our language are called either "wolf dogs" or "bear dogs". They're not only bred to protect livestock form these animals, but also go on hunts with humans for them. There are ones that are specialized for specific tasks like hunting bears. Their hood name in Armenian literally translates to "wolf chokers". They actually even have this stuff on their wiki page which kind of surprised me ...

"Gampr dogs are not trained, instead performing the necessary functions naturally. The Armenian word "Gampr" means "watchdog", but the same breed may instead be called a "gelkheht" (from "gel" - "wolf" and "khekhtel" - "to choke") if it is predisposed to be used as a wolfhound; a bear-hunting dog is known as "archashoon" ("bear-dog"); an avalanche dog is named "potorkashoon", and a shepherd dog is named "hovvashoon". The Gamprs are very tied to people, especially those dogs that live in human houses, considering themselves a family or pack member."

That pic i posted above is a Gampr. The Central Asian is also another one of my favorites and another popular breed in the Eurasian region ...
KhzeCnfrX7UoRvqIvcnUhEcoSt2FLLJK4oWXwJ61VgNKMb57IyPgyWeDm0DTvsZdhtk1JPkzKs6A-iK309G4QiBrCNCxlo-tKJluSkymv1wKrikvSXSWc_VLXW_S3CE4

Tedzhen.jpg

central-asian-shepherd-dog.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Just got around to browsing this thread proper.... when we were losing hope on finding a saint the age we're interested in (didn't want a young pup but didn't want an adult) we came across a breeder in our county that has these. They're gorgeous looking dogs, but looks like they're 'marketing' them very specifically as guard dogs. And given our lack of experience, we really needed something with less of that drive. It was very tempting though!

http://guardiandog.net/

Just got around to browsing this thread proper.... when we were losing hope on finding a saint the age we're interested in (didn't want a young pup but didn't want an adult) we came across a breeder in our county that has these. They're gorgeous looking dogs, but looks like they're 'marketing' them very specifically as guard dogs. And given our lack of experience, we really needed something with less of that drive. It was very tempting though!

http://guardiandog.net/
Yea, not only are they guard dogs but one of the best at it ive ever come across. To a point where they have a tendency to "over-guard" their family and property. They're are also commonly used in fighting on the other side of the world so you'd definitely need to know where that pup is coming from.

St. Bernard's are awesome dogs too and im pretty sure he'll will be a good fit in your family. Just be aware that sometimes drive has more to do with the specific dog and not the breed. Ive seen some chill Saints and ive also seen some pretty aggressive ones. That mostly matters on how the puppy is raised but im pretty sure you guys already went over that when picking up that big guy.

I am looking for every possible outlet to post pictures of him because he is so goddamn fucking cute lol. Potty training is about to be a bitch though he won't walk through the door.

20200525-072553.jpg

Use the old positive reinforcement. Find a good treat he likes lure him out with that and wait with him until he goes. Then reward him with praise and more treats. Pound it home until he gets it.

Right, I just need to find that one special treat that drives him nuts lol. The breeder gave me a bag of these and he's just not that into them where I can train. I'm thinking about trying out some of our walleye (it's been frozen), or maybe real meat.

100091_MAIN._AC_SL400_V1571345586_.jpg

Right, I just need to find that one special treat that drives him nuts lol. The breeder gave me a bag of these and he's just not that into them where I can train. I'm thinking about trying out some of our walleye (it's been frozen), or maybe real meat.

100% agree. Once you find the one thing he'll do anything for you'll have his full attention. Makes everything else easier. The fish might work, real meat will probably work. I used to chop up hot dogs, seemed to work well.

I give my dog these

49833_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1582756096_.jpg
A little pricey, but you can get them on chewy or probably any pet store. Just a suggestion

100091_MAIN._AC_SL400_V1571345586_.jpg
go buy a package of chicken gizzards/hearts/liver. They're like $2. Cost less than most store treats, are more nutritious and he is guaranteed to like them...
812-512_467512_RTC_CON_GZZRDSHRTS_2P_H.png

Most “store treats“ like she posted are barely even food. I know people always say not to give dogs table scraps but I have a hard time believing a piece of meat or a green bean I was eating is in any way worse for a dog than those treats that have the consistency of sun dried play dough. Of course pick the harmful stuff like onions out and if it’s garlicky or hot sauced, I even go to the sink and rinse them off.

yeah it makes them beggars but I’ve never been around even the most well behaved dog that didn’t give you hungry eyes when you were eating so oh well.

We're definitely planning on supplementing his food with real food regardless. I want to save it for his training for now though.

He's very sweet and affectionate but he hardly walks on a leash.... I dont wanna be dragging him around this soon when we haven't even built any trust. Just trying to slowly coax him towards the door.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Most “store treats“ like she posted are barely even food. I know people always say not to give dogs table scraps but I have a hard time believing a piece of meat or a green bean I was eating is in any way worse for a dog than those treats that have the consistency of sun dried play dough. Of course pick the harmful stuff like onions out and if it’s garlicky or hot sauced, I even go to the sink and rinse them off.

yeah it makes them beggars but I’ve never been around even the most well behaved dog that didn’t give you hungry eyes when you were eating so oh well.
real meat and other ingredients are basically what kibble and store treats want/try to be, so of course its not worse. Ive even had breeders tell me not to throw away food scraps but instead give them to the dogs since they are most likely far more nutritious than whatever we get at stores. And as long as you never feed them directly from the table then you dont really have to worry about them begging.

But you also have to now what what not to give them. Never give your dogs grapes(even a single grape can be life threatening), onions/garlic, never leave any coffee around(especially coffee beans that they can get into). Too much fatty meats will give them bad diarrhea. Seeds from some plants(like the sago palm) can kill your dog.

We're definitely planning on supplementing his food with real food regardless.
if you do that now then he might stop eating his kibble. Make sure he gets used to his kibble first and then save that stuff for later(or treats), unless you're going full raw diet.

And btw my new pup for some reason hates going on walks too. She'll go a few houses and then turn right back around and try to drag me home. Weirdest dog ive had so far.

Yeah as a rule I never really give my dogs any nuts/seeds or sweets.

My bigger dog ate a pack of rat poison when he was young. (Still big though) Scared the shit out of me. Left work early to take him to the vet to have them tell me he was fine and would have needed to eat way more than that for it to hurt him. May have slightly damaged his brain, in hindsight. Taught me to be more mindful of what other people were doing. My grandmother had put out One Bite because she saw mice at her house. I was like, are you trying to kill your cat?

my American bulldog is a great adventure dog. She has a hard time walking with us because she always wants to be out in front and she wants to hold her leash to walk herself but she will go forever. She went on a three mile hike with us once. Found out she could swim when she dove in the river because she was hot.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher