Prog album to start your kids with?

mark b

Prog 4 ever. Australia!!!
Apr 30, 2007
Toowoomba, Australia.
www.myspace.com
I am a very proud father whos 3 kids all love prog, I think they heard Enchants blueprint of the world the most when thet were growing up and they have told me it was that album that got them started!!

So what do you think is a good album to start them off with?

i tried that as a kid and found it fairly inaccessible, and never went back, i should probably try that album again now i'm a bit older and wiser!

Absolutely, I still play all my yes stuff and my kids like Jon Anderson.

It depends on what type of prog
But I grew up listening to Rush , Yes and Saga
If they like Rush and yes have them check out Sieges Even What a band and great vocals , they sound so good live too

If its the heavyer stuff they like
Have them check out
Seventh wonder
of course symphony X
circus maximus
Darkwater

Absolutely, I still play all my yes stuff and my kids like Jon Anderson.

Yes definitely seems to be 'kid (And girl) friendly'. I grew up listening to The Yes Album and a few others, so I'm sure that helped turn me onto prog a lot later.

Rush
Transatlantic
Dream Theater
Spock's Beard
etc etc

my family and most of my friends dont enjoy my music, too much tension in it, which is a good thing, I dont have my CD's disappearing on me.

It depends on what type of prog
But I grew up listening to Rush , Yes and Saga
If they like Rush and yes have them check out Sieges Even What a band and great vocals , they sound so good live too

If its the heavyer stuff they like
Have them check out
Seventh wonder
of course symphony X
circus maximus
Darkwater

Actually my oldest now loves opeth and moonsorrow, It was him who got me onto moonsorrow. He still likes his softer stuff like Lemur voice and Enchant aswell.

Actually my oldest now loves opeth and moonsorrow, It was him who got me onto moonsorrow. He still likes his softer stuff like Lemur voice and Enchant aswell.

I just started checking out more Opeth myself and have checked out Moonsorrow before Both have great musicians in the bands
I like the music but i don't like to hear growling vocals threw a hole song , I like alot of there stuff when they sing natural , I don't mind a little growling here and there but it's not my thing

If you don't mind growling mixed in...

heavier: Scar Symmetry - more like Soilworkish melodeath with prog elements than a straight up progmetal band, but they're brilliant, and I can't praise their guitarist enough. This guy is going to be that next unknown guitar hero, without a doubt.

experimental: Unexpect - for fans of Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and Danny Elfman scores :lol:

Opethy: Borknagar - get the album Empiricism. Just get it now. Go.

I just started checking out more Opeth myself and have checked out Moonsorrow before Both have great musicians in the bands
I like the music but i don't like to hear growling vocals threw a hole song , I like alot of there stuff when they sing natural , I don't mind a little growling here and there but it's not my thing

I agree, I can't take full on growling which is why i'm really appreciating opeth right now. Moonsorrow is more of a different style of vox, I just love the viking feel they give.

Scar Symmetry - more like Soilworkish melodeath with prog elements than a straight up progmetal band, but they're brilliant, and I can't praise their guitarist enough. This guy is going to be that next unknown guitar hero, without a doubt.

+1000

If you don't mind growling mixed in...

heavier: Scar Symmetry - more like Soilworkish melodeath with prog elements than a straight up progmetal band, but they're brilliant, and I can't praise their guitarist enough. This guy is going to be that next unknown guitar hero, without a doubt.

experimental: Unexpect - for fans of Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and Danny Elfman scores :lol:

Opethy: Borknagar - get the album Empiricism. Just get it now. Go.

Just picked up Scar Symmetrry's latest...can't wait to pop it in.

I think Rush or Dream Theater may be better for an introduction...if in fact the thread is serious about the "kid" part...if not, then I'm a dope.:lol: