Quintessential metal album

I was refering too how hard it is to pin it down, so many different sounds

Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

for some reason Halloween is the only song Im really into by them, I should give II a relisten, its been awhile, had 1 on my mp3 in the fall

holy diver definately, and heaven and hell, dio is a beast!

you can say the early sabbaths stuff is quintessential, like Vol.4, but heaven and hell was the true birth of the metal sabbath in my opinion

Sabbath as well as a few other bands gave a good taste of what would define metal, right out of the box. There is no denying the importance of Paranoid when talking about the birth of heavy metal.

id probably define stuff like stained class and british steel as quintessential aswell, although im not much of a fan for priest.

edit: also number of the beast, how could i forget that lol

Zacky poo, your such a slut........ my feelings are hurt and I dont know if I'll ever get over it.......

:lol: i'm sorry dude... i just can't be a one man man.

I think the Mercyful Fate stuff is really dated...didn't stand the test of time for me.

See, i really disagree. Well, maybe not... i'll go ahead and say what i have to say and you decide whether i agree or disagree.

I honestly do feel there's a lot of good stuff coming out these days, so this rant isn't elitist. I do feel the 70's and 80's had a unique feel when everythign was new and fresh. This means a lot of the albums that came out then such as the Priest, Dio, Maiden, Sabbath, Mercy, Tallica, Deth, etc. all have a feel to them that is not able to be replicated today. I think this attitude transcends the notes and really comes through in the recording, which makes them timeless in my eyes.

I will illustrate my point with this example. Have you heard the new Killswitch Engage version of Holy Diver? When the dude sings, he has a pretty good voice. Still, even though Dio's song is absolutely classic and will never get old, the KSE version is nothing more than a passing gimick. it won't be interesting in 15 or even 10 years. Dio had something magical at that time that is more than just the song.

That's not to say modern albums won't have the lasting impact, but there are not very many that i've heard that i honestly think i will be listening to in 30 years.

:lol: i'm sorry dude... i just can't be a one man man.

See, i really disagree. Well, maybe not... i'll go ahead and say what i have to say and you decide whether i agree or disagree.

I honestly do feel there's a lot of good stuff coming out these days, so this rant isn't elitist. I do feel the 70's and 80's had a unique feel when everythign was new and fresh. This means a lot of the albums that came out then such as the Priest, Dio, Maiden, Sabbath, Mercy, Tallica, Deth, etc. all have a feel to them that is not able to be replicated today. I think this attitude transcends the notes and really comes through in the recording, which makes them timeless in my eyes.

I will illustrate my point with this example. Have you heard the new Killswitch Engage version of Holy Diver? When the dude sings, he has a pretty good voice. Still, even though Dio's song is absolutely classic and will never get old, the KSE version is nothing more than a passing gimick. it won't be interesting in 15 or even 10 years. Dio had something magical at that time that is more than just the song.

That's not to say modern albums won't have the lasting impact, but there are not very many that i've heard that i honestly think i will be listening to in 30 years.

I do mostly agree with you and I understand your sentiment. I was there when it happened, so all of that stuff has special meaning to me. It's just this particular case...the vocal stylings are a novelty that didn't last...the cheesy Satan references...the crappy guitar tone...it just doesn't hold up IMO.

LaRoque has become quite a player since then...I really dig his style...and don't get me wrong...I like some King Diamond stuff...campy as it is.

I agree with Zach 99% and frankly it is unusual to hear a person that is still "young" recogonize these facts, especially when they are talking about music that is not from their "times". I didnt have much respect or interest in the music that proceeded "my times" when I was younger, but that has changed some now. Theres so much to be said for bands that didnt have all the inspiration of 100 other bands to form their sound, style or technique around.

I fail on the 1% because I really have never listened to Mercyful Fate, though various songs have been played for me... years ago. So as usual I have no idea what Im talking about........ lol.... (1% of the time)

Well with Fate, i have a special affinity towards them since aside from metallica, they were the first metal band i ever got into. I completely understand not liking that band... they're different. But for me that was it. That's what got me started. I dig the theatrics and the over the top approach (man... i like manowar. I have to enjoy the rediculously cheesy haha), but i can see exactly how it wouldn't hold up for you.

razor: it took me a long time. Not too long ago (in fact it was mostly up until i joined Skelator) i was way into death and black metal, more br00tal than thou shit. Now i honestly have a hard time listening to most of the stuff, save for those that i find truly exceptional in the genre, and those are largely doom bands with a TON of melody or viking/folk bands that have that gonig for them.

When i joined Skelator, those guys rekindled my love for Maiden and Priest (who i loved back when i was getting into metal, but kind of became "meh" with them... now i honestly have no idea how i could have had that attitude). I'm also being exposed to a lot more stuff that i never was into but am now just finding incredible, like old school Saxon and Running Wild, Grave Digger, Angel Witch, all things Dio... and some of these thigns (Dio especially) i always loved but were tucked in the back of my mind. It's really a rediscovery of why I became a metalhead in the first place.

So yeah, i've spent my time with the modern stuff, some of it i can still dig. But i never got excited about it like i am with older metal. It was about what i "should" like and how to be more badass (hey, it's false as hell but we're being honest right?)... that's not to say i didn't legitimately enjoy a lot of the stuff, but i kind of had to talk myself into liking some of the stuff like Decrepit Birth and Deeds of Flesh. I can't tell one fucking song or album from another man... it's shit. Great musicianship and amazing endurance, but shit songwriting. Glad to say that i've been inspired to just enjoy what i enjoy wihtout trying to be more badass or kvlt than anyone else haha. Great metal is not a pissing contest, it's a celebration of the amazing shit that's influenced all of our lives in a positive manner and sharing that with your friends. You get a rare album on vinyl? It's not to be like "yeah, i have this and you don't", it's about saying "Dude, i got the Witchkiller "Day of the Saxons" ep on vinyl! I gotta bring it over so you can hear it man!"

Sorry, i'm just in total fucking rant mode today. Essential metal right? haha...

It's a bit obscure, but the Witchkiller "Day of the Saxons" ep is amazing. Only thing the band ever did and the songs just own.
Winters Bane - Heart of a Killer (fantastic album! Everyone should at least hear it)
Maiden - If you're a Dianno man, Iron Maiden and Killers. Bruce folks should get Number of the Beast through Seventh Son (Including the Live after Death album! AHHHH what a great live album!)
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't break the Oath, and i have a VERY special love for TIME! Awesome album.
King Diamond - ABIGAIL! Perfect album.
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules and Vol 4
Rainbow - Rising

Damn, SO much great metal. I could go on and on but i'll chill now.