Quintessential metal album

This thread rocks. I'm pissed I kinda missed out on the Mercyful Fate Debate. If I had to pick one (or a few):

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (How did this thread make it to the second page without Sabbath being mentioned?)
Rainbow - Rising
Judas Priest - British Steeeel!
Dio - Holy Diver
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Death - Spiritual Healing
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side

so many awesome albums mentioned in this thread, even saxon got mentioned briefly, awesome.

listening to a light in the black as we speak, dio + blackmore > Allah himself

Master Of Puppets - Metallica
Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath (what?! Not Paranoid?! :err: :lol:)
Toxicity - System Of A Down
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
Human - Death

Okay yeah, Powerslave was said, but the fact that it was put in the same post as System of a Down automatically nullifies its presence in said post.

So yeah, Powerslave is one of the most essential Metal albums of all time. No exceptions.

Okay yeah, Powerslave was said, but the fact that it was put in the same post as System of a Down automatically nullifies its presence in said post.

So yeah, Powerslave is one of the most essential Metal albums of all time. No exceptions.

I'd personally say Killers first...Powerslave next.

I'd personally say Killers first...Powerslave next.

So you're a Di'Anno man?

Funny story, one time i was up at Snake Mountain and there was a discussion about how Maiden was like Star Trek (or very similar)

Star Trek = Di'Anno era
Star Trek: TNG = Number of the Beast through Seventh Son

Both are amazing and which one is "better" comes down to personal preference.

Star Trek: DS9 = No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark
They both have their moments, but really pale in comparison to the previous works

Star Trek: Voyager = Blaze Bailey albums
Complete Bullshit.

After that it doesn't really work. Enterprise doesn't really fit BNW through AMOLAD because of the variation in quality between those three albums. Still, pretty much truth all said.

oK fuck it, I'll piss all you's young blood tally wackers off.......... :heh:

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced ?
Led Zeppelin II
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself

Iron Maiden ? ........ Piece of Mind
Queesnryche - The Warning

ya see it just depends on what generation and listening background you come from

incidently - I still stand by my origional Images and Words choice

The only thing i'd disagree with is Jimi, and not because he's not essential, but i would say he is the predecesor to metal. Still, i can see how his material may be essential to metal fans. Same could be said for Zep, but I'm down to throw them into the metal category.

None of those three are "metal", maybe some parts of Look at Yourself are closest but I'll honestly say that II and Are You Experienced are extremly important "heavy" albums...... started the trend really. So if your talking essential by digging back to the seed where the root system started they are possibly the two most important recordings historically.... not just to me.... but definantely to me. We just called it all hard rock back then, even Sabbath. We used to use the word "hard" like people do today with "heavy". We'd listen to say something new, some butt kickin song and say "man thats hard", meaning hardedged. You know like Hard Cider

Sure. But i don't think that'd piss people off because there's a huge difference. Jimi, Zep and so forth helped influence people and started to pave the way for what we know as heavy metal today. There are bands till making "true" heavy metal, and then there's stuff that is influenced by *true* heavy metal that is not heavy metal.

The reason I'm saying anything about System of a Down is that SoaD is a band who has an obvious influence by heavy metal bands (be it traditional or more extreme forms of metal), it's not metal at all. Distorted guitar does not equal metal. Hell, I'll even go far as to say that most people who are really into metal (not just metal fans but real die hard metalheads) would consider what SoaD and many of their peers do is a bastardization and watered down version of metal.

So the older stuff gets a pass because it helped make what we all love. SoaD doesn't (in my eyes, i don't speak for everyone) because it is part of the movement that [granted, possibly inadvertantly] tried to destroy what we love.

Im not fimilair with their music other than whats been on the radio but its probably still some form of metal, theres so many today. There was quite a few different sounds in metal during the 80's too but they werent all "heavy metal". There is also alot of other influences pulling different dirrections today as well.... so we end up with alot of kinds of metal.

twas so much easier when there was like 6 or 7 more radical bands, that were totally different and they were just who they were by name not a genre. totally different scene today.

I didn't mean "heavy metal" as in simply doro and judas priest, but really all forms of metal. Again, with System they have distorted guitars, heavy drums, etc. but there is something about the sound that makes them not metal. But i'm just elitist and love ranting.

Today it's just a pain in the ass. Too many bands, too many sub-genres and sub-sub-genres. It makes for a huge mess and really tedious. "we're not blackened death/thrash, we're thrashened tech-black death" and all sorts of ridiculous shit :lol:

Hey, it's metal. There's good metal and bad metal. That's it as far as I care.

or just simply good and bad music.

with genres usually comes an image associated with it. Those images usually go in and out of fashion, and so does the music thats associated with them.

Its like in the UK at the moment, nothing but these pussy indy bands playing in my local clubs, full of kids who go along in their trillby hats to be part of something, but in 10 years? will they still be walking around in a trillby hat, or wearing a new rave tshirt? no, dont count on it.

thats one of the things that warmed to this type of music (metal, to generalise), is because most of the people have a passion for what they listen to, and will keep listening to it, i mean, go to a metal gig, theres usually people from all generations that turn up.

to summarise, i dislike all these genres, because all it does is segregate the listeners tastes, if i told someone at a party, i listen to Rainbow, they'd probably say, oh really, and look at me funny, not really wanting to talk about my taste of music, or theirs, because they probably think my taste is weird, and not fashionable enough (basically trendy elitism), But if i said, I listen to led zeppelin, theyd probably go, oh yeah, great shit. Then id ask them what their favourite zeppelin album was, and theyd say, errrrrm that one with stairway to heaven on it.

to summarise again - Genres make people biased against music, for example, "i wont listen to this because its metal" but "ill listen to this, because i like the band T-shirts"

thats a pretty bad way to explain it, but i get it allot with my friends, who will refuse to listen to my music, in the car for example, based on the genre, name of the band, etceetc, before they even listened to a sample, then they say, your such a cynical bastard, when i say i dont like this fucking R&B, Rap, or watered down power choorded wank

correct in many ways, both of you

I have a broader taste and acceptability of music than many people here. Im eazy to pleaze but the music still has to have something going on and for myself there are many factors that might make it enjoyable to me. not that that has anything to do with metal.... well maybe... there is factors there too that either turn me on or turn me off, I guess.