-Recommendations Thread-

Skepticism

Feb 14, 2006
This could be a good threat, and it would replace all the Alcest, Negura Bunget, Darkthrone, Green Evening Requiem etc. threads, by just posting recommendations in here.

I'll start off by recommending The Red In The Sky is Ours and With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness, as I find early At The Gates much better than the latter albums.
My second recommendation is Drudkh, absolutely beautiful band. Most of you probobly know of them, but I thought I'd recommend it anyways. They play black metal with some folky acoustic guitar passages here and there. All of their albums are great. They also have a pure acoustic album called Songs of Grief and Solitude.

Melechesh. They play a kind of middle eastern influenced thrash/black metal, hailing from Israel . Their newest album, Emissaries is one of the catchiest and most well written "underground" albums I've heard. Its mesmerizing.

Also, the new Nile album, Ithyphallic, and the new Behemoth album, The Apostasy, are mindblowing and definately worth checking out.

My recs:

Ahab - great funeral doom
Pestilence - old school death metuhl
Portal - chaotic Aussie black mettle
Severed Savior - brutal death from California
Wormphlegm - if only for the first demo, ...in an excruciating way, they're great depressing black influenced funeral doom
Winterhorde - Israeli black metal
Paul Gilbert - Get Out of My Yard (2006) is a classic instrumental album. Not as good as Passion and Warfare, but pretty good
Abske Fides - nature inspired black metal
Temnozor - Russian black metal
Eluveitie - Swiss folk metal
The Chasm - mexican death metal
UneXpect - avante-garde from montreal

and +1 on the Melechesh and Drudkh.

My recs:

Ahab - great funeral doom
Pestilence - old school death metuhl
Portal - chaotic Aussie black mettle
Severed Savior - brutal death from California
Wormphlegm - if only for the first demo, ...in an excruciating way, they're great depressing black influenced funeral doom
Winterhorde - Israeli black metal
Paul Gilbert - Get Out of My Yard (2006) is a classic instrumental album. Not as good as Passion and Warfare, but pretty good
Abske Fides - nature inspired black metal
Temnozor - Russian black metal
Eluveitie - Swiss folk metal
The Chasm - mexican death metal
UneXpect - avante-garde from montreal

and +1 on the Melechesh and Drudkh.

Okay, you have great taste. Period.

I'll have to check out the other bands on your list if you mention demigods such as Ahab, Pestilence, Winterhorde, Eluveitie and Unexpect. Not to mention the +1 on Melechesh and Drudkh.

Personally I was pretty blown away by Nortt yesterday. Never really gave him a listen until now, for some reason. What excellent stuff that is!

Ludovico Einaudi - minimalistic classical music, mostly just piano and strings.
http://www.myspace.com/ludovicoeinaudi

Spite Extreme Wing - Italian black metal band, one of my favorite black metal groups. If you like stuff like Dissection you should enjoy it.
http://www.myspace.com/spiteextremewing ('In Su La Vetta' is great)

Kronos - amazing French brutal death band.
http://www.myspace.com/kronostitan (Listen to 'Ouranian Cyclops')

Oceansize - UK post-rock band.
www.myspace.com/oceansizeuk

Ann'Sannat - celtic acoustic folk band
www.myspace.com/annsannat ('Improvisation' is the best song on there)

Tangerine Dream - German electronic/ambient band from the 60s. The album 'Phaedra' is amazing.
www.myspace.com/tangerinedreamofficialsite

Deathbound - Finnish grindcore band, if you like bands such as Rotten Sound and Nasum you should enjoy them.
http://www.myspace.com/deathboundspace

I'm going to make another recommendation.
Belenos, amazing french black/celtic metal. I have heard their first 2 albums entitled Errances Oniriques, and the second, Spicilège. Both albums are among my favourite albums ever. They have a couple other albums out, as well as another to be coming out this year, though I havn't heard them. Anyways, they are an amazing band.

good stuff

Fark, I thought nobody knew them!

Ne Obliviscaris - Aussie prog/black kind of thing
www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris

Ikuinen Kaamos - Finnish melancholic death/black/prog/amazingly fucking good
www.myspace.com/ikuinenkaamos

Abramelin - Aussie melodic(ish) brutal death metal. Album called 'Deadspeak' is fucking class.

Amon Amarth's first album. Hardly anybody seems to know anything except Versus onwards.

Psycroptic - Aussies redefining 'technical death metal'.
www.myspace.com/psycroptic . Listen to 'the colour of sleep'

Negura Bunget, Agalloch... most people know them though.

Oh aNd MeTaLlIkAzZzZ

That was their first official full-length, yeah? They had Arrival of the Fimbul Winter and Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds, but Once Sent was their first full-length. Is that right? I mean Once Sent :D

all of their demo material before Once Sent... is included on the 2 disc VS. The World album. So yeah Once Sent is known as the first full length album as far as I know.

all of their demo material before Once Sent... is included on the 2 disc VS. The World album. So yeah Once Sent is known as the first full length album as far as I know.

It was the first full length yeah but it didn't come out till 98/99 or something and I'm pretty sure they've been around sinse the early 90s. But yeah loads of people don't seem to have heard much before 'Versus The World' which is a shame because they have some amazing material on the older albums.

Also, most people have probably heard them but I just recently got the new Blood Red Throne album... pretty good stuff.

The Crusher and Once Sent From The Golden Hall are Amon Amarth's best albums imo.

Yes. I still like all their new albums aswell but they lack the longevity of these two. 'Annihalation Of Hammerfest', 'Bastards Of A Lying Breed', 'Victorious March', 'Without Fear' and 'The Dragons' Flight Across The Waves' are all amazing songs.

Another band I would recommend (nothing like Amon Amarth) is Datach'i. I only have the album 'The Elements' at the moment but according to iTunes the song 'In Silence' is my second most listened to at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/datachi

I guess it's glitchy/ambient drum and bass or something.