releases 2008!

10 good ones from 2008

Intestine Baalism - Ultimate Instinct. Just got the cd, I love it. Japanese oldschool swedish melodic death. ooooo, castlevaniaish in parts.

Equilibrium - Sagas. Excellent.

In Mourning - Shrouded Divine. Excellent.

Belphegor - Bondage Goat Zombie. Yes!

Haggard - Tales of Ithiria. Excellent.

Stormlord - Mare Nostrum. I like em.

Omnium Gatherum - The Red Shift. I like em.

Cynic - Traced in Air. Was not expecting to be this awesome.

Archons - The Consequences of Silence. Best melodic death I've heard in years.

Austrian Death Machine - Total Brutal. GET TO THA CHOPPAAAAAA!!

Other stuff I heard

Alestorm - Captain Morgans Revenge. Haha, whoa catchy

Catamenia - The Time Unchained. Good but I think it needs less clean singing and blasts with less drumkit destroying velocity.

Deeds of Flesh - Of what's to come. Takes me back.

Abigail Williams - In the shadow of a Thousand Suns. It's okay (when ignoring it as a trojan horse containing the bastard spawn of scene black)

The Faceless - Planetary Duality. Actually really good (also when ignoring it as a trojan horse containing the bastard spawn of scene death)

Moonspell - Night Eternal. Really good comeback. Some of their best stuff yet.

ah, twas a good year for metal.

My official top 10, several changes were made after countless re-listens. I am very anal about my year-end list haha.

1. Cynic- Traced In Air
2. Septicflesh- Communion
3. Thrice- The Alchemy Index: Vols III & IV
4. Rome- Masse Mensch Material
5. Intronaut- Prehistoricisms
6. Textures-Silhouettes
7. Virus- The Black Flux
8. The Faceless- Planetary Duality
9. Marionette- Spite
10. Cult Of Luna- Eternal Kingdom

11. Stigma- When Midnight Strikes!
12. Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend
13. Zonaria- The Cancer Empire
14. Scar Symmetry- Holographic Universe
15. Terminal Function- Measuring The Abstract
16. Protest The Hero- Fortress
17. The Monolith Deathcult- Triumverate
18. Hail Of Bullets- Of Frost And War
19. Metallica- Death Magnetic
20. Nachtmystium- Assassins

Looking foward in 2009 to:

Wintersun- Time
Obscura- Cosmogenesis
The Amenta- N0N (doesn't come out in the US until Feb so I can't add it to my year end list)
Ephel Duath- Through My Dog's Eyes
Pestilence- Resurrection Macabre
Absu- Absu
Seance- The Awakening Of Kings (leaked already. Sick album!)
Destroyer 666- Defiance
Centarus A- Side Effects Expected
Slumber- Resonance
Skyfire- Esoteric
Atheist- TBA
Quo Vadis- TBA
Solution.45- TBA
The Few Against Many- TBA
Miseration- TBA
Anaal Nathrakh- TBA
Torchbearer- TBA
Unmoored- TBA
Morbid Angel- TBA
Carcass- TBA (!!?!?!?!?!?! Hope so)

I think 2009 looks promising. With releases from Skyfire, Suidakra, Kalmah, Quo Vadis, Eluveitie, and Wintersun (hahahahh! MAYBE!) I just don't see how 09 won't be a swell fucking time. Farewell 08! Ye fared well!

From what I heard (was not much since I don't know anyone in the Wintersun camp personally), Time most likely WILL come out this year.

Wishful thinking. September 13, 2004 - January 17, 2009. 4 years 126 days later. Im sure Wintersun is set to deliver the GOO00DS!!!1!

Seriously Wintersun was a great album but I could care less. Time is going to be a huge disappointment after this long.

BTW I have a feeling that the new Eluveitie will be good since it will be acoustic. I hated Slania soooo muuch but loved Spirit.

I felt there was too much Gothenburg riffing and not enough folk on Slania, whereas Spirit was the perfect balance. I also thought the production was too polished and didn't suit the band's sound very much. Everyone was saying how much fun they are live, but they were just ok at Paganfest. Tyr (who I had went to see) was really good and Turisas stole the show.

I thought Slania was awesome, as was Spirit. So how is the new CD going to work? I haven't read much about it.

Turisas stole the show in Seattle for sure. Everyone played great except Ensiferum :p