Rullo signed with Pearl?

bigger drumkits don't always equal better, and honestly I think its pretty stupid when a drummer has a big kit just to have a big kit. Besides, I've seen plenty of drummers do more with a small-medium kit than some drummers do on huge kits.

Bigger Drumkits = compensation for the fact that their lacking in another department....

EDIT: Cookie Baking, you sick fucks... ^^

I bet I can do more on my 5 piece and 5 cymbals (2 crash, splash, hi-hat, ride) than he can do on his 9 piece kit with 10 cymbals, and do it better TOOO.

If he utilizes the full kit, then they are badass, but to say I have a huge kit to say I have a huge kit is dumb. I stumbled upon the American music awards last night, and Lenny Kravitz was playing, the drummer had a really elaborate kit, looked like a 8-9 piece , 2 kicks, and enough cymbals that I hardly noticed his flamboyant looking hat and mini-scarf thingy. I dont think he even touched the toms, which made me angry.

Honestly, when was the last time Lenny Kravitz had a song that utilized double bass drums? I sure as hell dont remember....

you can all say what you want, but to answer the ORIGINAL question, i have not heard if he's with Pearl now. Last time i talked to him, he was with Brady drums, a cool little company out of Australia. He said he was in talks with a few companies, but nothing official. that was as of this past summer. if ya really wanna know, ask him. he's nice enough to check his email. that'd be pretty cool if he went to Pearl. Also, last time i checked, it was a 6 piece with about 12 cymbals. he uses it all, too. actually theres one cymbal i havent heard used, which is (i think) and ice bell. but everything else he uses. they are some NICE cymbals, too. I'm doing fine with my 10 drums and 13 cymbals, too, cuz i use 'em. how big ur set is does not reflect how good of a player you are, because i am not in Symphony X, nor am i better than Jason, by a long shot. If he did go to Pearl, he would prolly end up with something similar to his previous kit, but he might go back to a 7 piece, cuz he was thinkin about that over the summer, too. im sure he'll keep us fans updated once he gets it all sorted out. (hopefully some pics on his site)
as for Zoro (lenny's drummer), i met him at a clinic a while ago when i was just starting out, and he was playing real well on just a 4 piece with prolly 4 cymbals. why he went to a double bass kit with more toms, i dont know. he definately doesnt use them with lenny. now on his own, there's nothing keeping him from practicing along to his Symphony X cds, which a big kit helps with. The same goes for the drummer for Rob Zombie and Disturbed. They both have double bass kits, pretty large set-ups, too. do they use them? nope. yet they are hailed as gods in Modern Drummer magazine every issue. they ain't got nuffin on Jason. i know that for a fact. urinal, i'd like to see you TRY to out play him on ur set. shit i'd like to see anybody outplay him on any set. If he gets a bigger/smaller set, it won't matter THAT much, cuz he's such a good player he can own a 4 piece jazz set or terry bozzio's monster whatever he's callin' it these days thing. We'll prolly see pretty soon who he's with.

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
urinal, i'd like to see you TRY to out play him on ur set. shit i'd like to see anybody outplay him on any set. If he gets a bigger/smaller set, it won't matter THAT much, cuz he's such a good player he can own a 4 piece jazz set or terry bozzio's monster whatever he's callin' it these days thing. We'll prolly see pretty soon who he's with.

So wait, who do I have to outplay on what kit? I cant come close to Jason, hes god. I bet I could outplay the girl from the white stripes....... thats not saying very much tho is it?

Oh, and I peeped the pearl forums (www.pearldrum.com) and they had a thread welcoming him to the family. I cannot confirm this, thats what I saw, dont own this thread jaxxie plz for what I said, Im just saying what I sawed.

lol, by 'you', i meant 'everyone'. thats cool that he's with pearl (maybe). ...and i'm pretty sure its 'God' with a capital 'G'. ...thats a girl in the white stripes?? ...and those are drums she's playing?!? :OMG:

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
lol, by 'you', i meant 'everyone'. thats cool that he's with pearl (maybe). ...and i'm pretty sure its 'God' with a capital 'G'. ...thats a girl in the white stripes?? ...and those are drums she's playing?!? :OMG:

Yes, I sent a letter to the band and the record company, and those ARE indeed drums. They even gave me a copy of the receipt.

Wait, so I must outplay EVERYONE? Hmm, this might take a while, just give me some red bull and a few cheap hookers, and I should be set

Yngvai X said:
bigger drumkits don't always equal better, and honestly I think its pretty stupid when a drummer has a big kit just to have a big kit. Besides, I've seen plenty of drummers do more with a small-medium kit than some drummers do on huge kits.
Well, take Mike Portnoy, for example. He has a HUGE set, and he actually makes use of most of it (If not all). But yeah, having a big set just for the sake of having one is beyond retarded. Although, if you don't pay for it, and you don't have to set it up...Why not?! :D

urinalcakemix said:
Yes, I sent a letter to the band and the record company, and those ARE indeed drums. They even gave me a copy of the receipt.

Wait, so I must outplay EVERYONE? Hmm, this might take a while, just give me some red bull and a few cheap hookers, and I should be set

you still have the receipt? ... K-Mart, right?

and would you stop turning every damn thing i say around?

I'm not trying to imply that Rullo should get a bigger kit just to get a bigger kit. lol I really mean that if he does get a bigger that he might use even more variety, with toms, cymbals or whatever. I think it would sound cool.

By the way, how many piece kit does Rullo really have? I've heard different answers from you guys. Either way, his drumming is exceptional and I love how he utilizes every piece.

I was surprised that disturbed had a double bass kit, and they bearly even use the double kick lol. Same with their toms. On that live video of them playing Remember or whatever, he bearly even touched the toms.

urinalcakemix said:
Bigger Drumkits = compensation for the fact that their lacking in another department....

Mike Portnoy, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio, Asegir Mickelson, Neil Peart, and Mike Mangini would agree with you.

No wait...

Liquid Shadow said:
Mike Portnoy, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio, Asegir Mickelson, Neil Peart, and Mike Mangini would agree with you.

No wait...
Haha, nice. But those bands do take a different approach to the percussion parts than SX.

And how the hell did this thread practically turn into a fight?

alright Jason! :headbang: ... i cant wait to see some pics!!!
Bball: When i saw his kit up close this past summer it was a 6 piece with about 12 cymbals.

He was using rented Pearl kits on the last tour in Europe, I remember reading somewhere. He should get much better tour support now that he is with Pearl drums. They are known for having really good endorsement support and customer service.

In the pictures I have seen on his website. (I am also getting this from the pictures in the Limited Edition of "The Odyssey".) He is using at least an 8-pc kit: 3 rack toms, two floor toms, two snare drums and kick drum with double-bass pedal. He does have a lot of Sabian cymbals.
The models of the ones I know of for sure are:
22" Hand Hammered Power Bell ride.
17" AAXtreme chinese on the left side.
12" ice bell.
10" Hand Hammered splash.

The rest I will have to guess at:
An 8" or 10" AAX splash.
3 different crashes in the 16"/17"/18" range, either AA or AAX models.
Main hi-hat is HHX, either 13" or 14".
A 12" or 14" mini-chinese, I have no idea what series it is from (middle of kit).
Maybe a 19" AAXtreme chinese on the right side of his kit.
A remote hi-hat that he switches from side-to-side, with 12" AA hi-hats.

GCG199 said:
He was using rented Pearl kits on the last tour in Europe, I remember reading somewhere. He should get much better tour support now that he is with Pearl drums. They are known for having really good endorsement support and customer service.

In the pictures I have seen on his website. (I am also getting this from the pictures in the Limited Edition of "The Odyssey".) He is using at least an 8-pc kit: 3 rack toms, two floor toms, two snare drums and kick drum with double-bass pedal. He does have a lot of Sabian cymbals.
The models of the ones I know of for sure are:
22" Hand Hammered Power Bell ride.
17" AAXtreme chinese on the left side.
12" ice bell.
10" Hand Hammered splash.

The rest I will have to guess at:
An 8" or 10" AAX splash.
3 different crashes in the 16"/17"/18" range, either AA or AAX models.
Main hi-hat is HHX, either 13" or 14".
A 12" or 14" mini-chinese, I have no idea what series it is from (middle of kit).
Maybe a 19" AAXtreme chinese on the right side of his kit.
A remote hi-hat that he switches from side-to-side, with 12" AA hi-hats.

still a nice kit. I have been wondering why a lot of drummers these days are using single bass drum, double kick pedal instead of double bass drums? I haven't gotten a clear answer yet, but more so about cost of bass drum and small people not being able to reach two kicks.

bball_1523 said:
still a nice kit. I have been wondering why a lot of drummers these days are using single bass drum, double kick pedal instead of double bass drums? I haven't gotten a clear answer yet, but more so about cost of bass drum and small people not being able to reach two kicks.

i use a single bass with a double pedal mostly cuz of the money. i mean its not just the actual bass drum ur paying for. the drum heads every 6 or so months, and also impact pads along with the heads. I also wouldnt be able to fit another bass drum on my set cuz its so loaded with other stuff. If i can save space and money for other stuff, i will. There are prolly more reasons, but those are my 2.