Search for the Ultimate Tuning of Metal

korpse pop

Horde of Undead Vengeance
Jun 22, 2005
I keep changing tunings all the time and I don't know to which one to settle for. IMO tunings below A do not sound very good and even A seems to be too low to get a decent thump out of it. B seems a little boring since so many bands are using it, altough I love Carcass heaviness with B tuning. Too many options, shoulda have stayed in E standard with .09 strings everyone begins with and just forget about it :loco:

What's your preferred guitar tuning for metal ? What are you using and pros and cons?

C standard is my shit - I really doubt anyone could give objective reasons as to why one tuning is better or worse than another (unless you go beneath B flat, at which point I agree it's too low), I just like C-standard cuz it's the Gothenberg tuning :)

E standard :)

Why, because I think the guitar just sounds better in this register and I like the way thinner strings sound and feel when they're tight. (Meaning I don't like the way thicker strings sound when they're tight in a lower tuning and I don't like the way thinner strings sound when slacked for a lower tuning)

I use 9-46 strings by the way.

It's an easy decision for me.

That being said, when I was doing death metal, E standard did not sound as good with my voice so I dropped down a step. I think D standard is not low enough to really start turning me off, but most of the time I still prefer E.

my favorite tuning would have to be C# standard...i don't know why, it just is. then if i want to write something in a drop tuning, i'll lower the C# to B for even more nastiness.

drop c tuning buddy - its the way forward - its what i use and countless other bands use - its heavy as fuck but not too low that your strings end up flopping around. and because its tuned to c it helps with other things like working off a major scale on a piano or shit like that. no shaps or flats. great for peeps who aint too fresh on the old theory side of music.

In my opinion, stepping down your tuning only sounds good if it matches the singers voice. I have heard things in standard(or drop d) that sound heavy as hell, because it was on par with the vocalist.

drop c tuning buddy - its the way forward - its what i use and countless other bands use - its heavy as fuck but not too low that your strings end up flopping around. and because its tuned to c it helps with other things like working off a major scale on a piano or shit like that. no shaps or flats. great for peeps who aint too fresh on the old theory side of music.

Who the hell writes metal in C Major? :p

that is true wolfeman - i did play in drop d tuning until we checked our voxist's octave range and found out he screams much tighter in c and most of our shit is written around the key of c. on that note you need to have decent equipment that can handle drop tuning properly.

ie: a well set guitar and bass and capable amps that dont turn your sound into muck when your shredding on the low freq's

drop C lately, especially if you're a bass player into guitar playing too. ;-)

but for old school stuff, it's just half step down anyway, Eb. like all the good ol' heavier bands used to tune.

I use standard, with the low E tuned to B. All the djent, and all the shred.

The ultimate for me would be a nice sevenstringer though, which I would so tune to drop A every now and then.

Wait...so you have almost an octave between your bottom two strings? o_O That seems like a very poor choice for any kind of rhythm playing...

I play in drop D, stings are 9,11,16,32,42,54

Don't really faff about with lower tunings much unless I'm playing other bands stuff. When I did I found Drop C was a pretty cool middle ground, with a decent thickness of string its still pretty tight, but has a bit more thickness. Things do get nice and sludgy when you get down to B or A, starts sounding a bit like a bass guitar. But I think you really lose the articulation with the strings flapping about.

Wouldn't mind getting a baritone for low tunings mind you. Reckon it'd be great even just for recording.

I use Drop C on my 6 string songs, and standard tuning on my 7 string (with the low B of course.) Sometimes I'll go crazy and do drop A on the 7 string. I find this to be more than enough variety.

Capos are cool too.... underused in metal outside of Opeth...