Songwriting on PoE

replicated

Threadkiller
Nov 1, 2004
Bumfuck, MI 69666
Did Pat O'Brien have any influence on the songwriting process on the album? Something has to account for how much more badass the guitar work is on that album over all the others.

Pat O'Brien = I dont think so, no make that nahhh that guy owen is the twisted one....

If he thinks death metal is the most brutal hahahahah

I was going off of Wikipedia which says Jeff composed all the music.

Many people speculate that Jeff writes better and in a style closer to those he's actually playing with at the time (which is why the albums with more than a single guitarist were much different even if he wrote most of it), and Pat was a death guy, so...

I was thinking about making a thread the other day to ask about Dreaming Neon Black.

It's not who wrote what, but production questions. Did they quad track the guitars?

cool. thats what I thought but I was unsure. also I've been trying to get info on the setup used for DNB. is this accurate?

"DNB is a Mesa TriAx/2:90 rig they rented. I believe the cab was a Marshall with the stock 75s, but I can't remember. Loomis and Calvert both used it - Tim brought his Langner stuff with him, but the Mesa ended up sounding better."

PoE and DNB are both fantastic under the influence of psychedelics. many hidden layers and sounds just below the surface that come to the 'front' that you may not have noticed or paid much attention to before. DNB is especially mindblowing i think, so many low voices and background vocals that really come out and speak to you. i (kind of) remember one particular time i was just laying on my buddy's bed starting at the cottage cheese ceiling completely enveloped in DNB. intense. recommended.

PoE and DNB are both fantastic under the influence of psychedelics. many hidden layers and sounds just below the surface that come to the 'front' that you may not have noticed or paid much attention to before. DNB is especially mindblowing i think, so many low voices and background vocals that really come out and speak to you. i (kind of) remember one particular time i was just laying on my buddy's bed starting at the cottage cheese ceiling completely enveloped in DNB. intense. recommended.

I imagine Deconstruction would sound particularly badass under those conditions.

TGE TOC was close.

No idea how much of an effect that had on your voice during those albums (just assuming it did), but your vocal performance on TGE is easily my favorite; and I think it's typically good to great on pretty much all of the Nevermore albums.

cool. thats what I thought but I was unsure. also I've been trying to get info on the setup used for DNB. is this accurate?

"DNB is a Mesa TriAx/2:90 rig they rented. I believe the cab was a Marshall with the stock 75s, but I can't remember. Loomis and Calvert both used it - Tim brought his Langner stuff with him, but the Mesa ended up sounding better."

The Triaxis / 2:90 is correct, and I currently own the one we used. The cab was an old Marshall 4x12 (part of an old plexi stack) with 25W Greenbacks in it.

We did try to use Tim's gear for his parts, but the MB ended up sounding better / clearer etc.