Steve, how'd you get buried on Human?

The album sounds great for the standard reel-to-reel recording but I dunno why Morrisound studios couldn't get digital in '91. It was expensive granted, but I knew someone back then (late '90) who had a full digital ADAT setup. He claimed few bands wanted into it because the tapes were so expensive. And what about the "Gathering"? The bass comes in and cuts out and some times it is completely inaudible.

Steve, to quote what your thoughts where on the Control Denied issue again:
Lastly, the Control Denied album that we all want to hear will most likely never see the light of day. It was squashed for the lamest reasons, and I'm done defending that whole thing. It's a waste of good songs and a discredit to the hard struggling work Chuck put forth to redeem what he thought was an attempt that came up short in the first album. That's just how I feel, and I realize when these comments go public I'll have to stand behind them. But I don't think I said anything disrespectful, and afterall, it's only my opinion.

What do you think about the latest rants between Guido, Tim, and the Schuldiner family? According to Chuck's sister: -Beth, the album will be finished sometime this year:

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - CHUCK SCHULDINER's Sister: CONTROL DENIED's Second Album Will be Released This Year

Ofcourse, there is a chance that this is just a hoax since it's merely posted on blabbermouth, instead of something official such as EmptyWords.org.

But I also happen to recall something about EmptyWords.org not wanting to post anything furthermore about the process of the Control Denied issue....

one thing i would like to know is what happened on Testament's Gathering?buried on human has been aksed too many times as well as been answered..but gathering?

one thing i would like to know is what happened on Testament's Gathering?buried on human has been aksed too many times as well as been answered..but gathering?

Any chance of getting a listen to that tape?
Does anyone know where it can be found for download? I really am most interested.As I'm sure are the majority here...

A But trust me when I say that some of me and Chuck's last phone conversations included ideas on getting the master tapes and remixing it for the purpose of raising the bass level. That will never happen now.

...and justice for all, I guess. You got an official re-issue which is more than Newsted can say with his guitar-hero-remix. Anyway, I just found out human was re-released! It's amazing! Indeed those lines are fantastic, but on the other hand I'm not sure how well they work in the context of the songs. Still I don't care hehe.

What are your thoughts on the reissue, and how do you reflect back on that work now?

In response to Steve's semi-rant -

Well, I don't know what happened, and frankly, I wasn't alive yet. But I have a feeling it wasn't really anybody's fault. I imagine each musician to think in their own mindset, with small amounts of empathy for other instruments. When you're dealing with mixing things, it becomes difficult to not make anything too loud or too quiet. And it's worsened when there's not a full party there to discuss it. I am working on a demo right now with my band (check some remnants of the final product on our facebook page, heh heh), and I'm afraid that the bass and drum levels are too loud. So we're going to bump the guitar higher. But then the drums and bass will be too quiet. I'm a guitarist, but I play bass and drums too, and I love all instruments and their application throughout the history of metal, but when it's the mind of two guitarists, a drummer, and a producer, the bass is most likely going to suffer the biggest downfall on the record. Fantastic playing, crappy production. I honestly have trouble listening to the original mix of Human because of the lack of significant bass. But I don't think it's because they hated the tracks or anything, I think it's simply because mixing an album needs multiple minds who think differently but have the same vision in mind, and with Human, I can't say for sure if that was the case, and I also can't say for sure if they intended the bass to be practically inaudible. But I just don't think any of the guys mixing it were very "bass conscious", as it seems that Chuck's bassists all seem relatively tame when it's not good ol' Steve behind the bass.

No. Thats why you have an engineer / producer, to make sure these kind of issues are fixed and product the musicians against themselves sometimes.

So Steve, what do you think about the new remix/remaster? Now the bass is decently audible (altought it's still hard to hear every note) and the whole sound is better.

The best part of the reissue is the inclusion of the bass&drum tracks. Do you know if there'll be a reissue for Individual?

And btw, I was wandering when the goddamn second Control Denied will be released!

@Allfader...

There WILL be a re-issue for Individual Thought Patterns. They are re-issuing every Death release. They already did Human and Sound of Perseverance, and they claim ITP is next and going to be out by around September. I think the production was much better on that album, so they probably won't remix it.

The best part of the reissue is the inclusion of the bass&drum tracks. Do you know if there'll be a reissue for Individual?

Hmmm? The CD I got only had instrumental tracks. Not bass and drum tracks. I was really hoping to get those. A friend of mine showed me them years ago but refused to copy it to me out of respect to Steve.