The Book Thread! All opinions welcome!

I think the book was sold at gigs during the spring '08 leg of the U.S. tour. But I did not see any when I went in the fall.

Even though I paid for it, my boyfriend got it for me through eBay (he's the one with the account). The person he bought it from runs a site called Bazillion Points (you can find their link in the Dark Chest of Wonders section at the OSA site), and if you buy from them you can get a limited edition Nightwish pin along with the book. It's a lovely picture of Tuomas swilling booze! :lol:

As for the book, I thought it was very fair and split down the middle. Both sides were not painted as either angels nor devils. Their very human qualities, both good and bad, were (I thought) represented fairly in the book.

And I've read many books in my day, and very few have ever made me outrightly emote (laugh, cry, etc.). Sure, I've read books that make me feel sad or make me feel happy, but seldom to I ever get tears or laugh out loud. When I was reading the parts about the crazy tour antics, I was laughing my ass off. Of course, having the End of Innocence footage in my memories to provide the mental pictures helped too. And reading the parts about Marc Brueland really made me cry. Reading not only his story, but that of his and Tuomas' friendship, was very moving.

The only qualm I had about the book, however small, was the inaccurate comment that was made about OSA in the book, but we've had a discussion about this here on the board already, and bad press is better than no press. I'm certainly not angry about it, if anything it keeps people's attention towards OSA. I guess one of these days I could clarify the misunderstanding myself in the site FAQ, but seeing as how it was so long ago and no one asks about it anymore, I don't see the point. Let sleeping dogs lie, I guess.

Oh, and another small grievance I have is that the English version does not have the pictures of the bandmembers as children like the Finnish version does (so I've been told; when I got the English copy I was looking forward to seeing these pictures I was hearing about so was a little disappointed to not see them there). But there are a lot of lovely pictures of the band, onstage and off, so whatever. Not getting to see Tuomas or Tarja as little kids...I think I'll survive. :lol:

So basically, I was a happy customer. The book is awesome, and top-notch customer service from Bazillion Points. :D

I'm still working on the in-depth review thingy for 'Once upon a Nightwish', I haven't forgotten!

Umm, at the moment I've read a couple of things off Project Gutenberg; 'Aucassin and Nicolette' which is this mediaeval verse romance which I was curious about and 'The Yellow Wallpaper' by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I'd resisted reading it for a long time, I seem to remember doing a epically dull seminar on it during college and disliking it intensely. It's a very creepy story set in the 19th century about a woman who is repressed by her husband and she becomes obsessed with this yellow wallpaper in the room she is confined in. I think the implication is that either she was insane to begin with or her husband's treatment leads to her madness. I think I probably appreciated it more now that I'm older and It's given me a couple of ideas for my backstory where Lord Nick in 'The Poisoned Veil' is trying to convince Eve she is mad so he can get her locked up.

New books!

I got 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters. 'The last Chevalier' by Alexandre Dumas and 'Meridon' by Phillipa Gregory on a 3 for 2 deal at Waterstones so that should take a while to get through. 'Meridon' was happily a lot more satisfactory than 'The Favoured Child'. No dodgy incest subplots here, thank God! It was still a bit melodramatic but I can handle that.
I'm quite excited to read the Dumas as they've just released the English version and I didn't find it on Project Gutenberg. I really want them to release a English version of 'La Reine Margot' as I watched the film but I'd really love to read the book.

As for me, over the last several weeks I've been re-reading the Deverry books by Katharine Kerr. I only have 4 of them, and now that I think about it, I think I saw book #5 that I've been looking for at the bookstore last time I was there, but because I didn't have a list or any of the other books with me, I forgot the name and wasn't sure if it was the one I needed. :(

Just finished 'Imperium' by Robert Harris, which was a cracking read. Even though I don't really read thrillers this was a good story. It was based in Roman times during the Republic. Cicero defends this guy in the Senate against this bullying guy called Varres and then struggles to be a consul. It's well worth picking up. I may try to get 'Fatherland' next.
I'm also looking for the Southern Vampire mysteries as we in the UK are well behind are only just getting the 'True Blood' DVD over here. I think they're thinking of showing it on Channel 4 and since I like to know what's going on I may try and read some. Unfortunately the only one I could find was the 5th one which was no good.

Good luck on finding it.

Re-reading my Ayn Rand novels now, starting with The Early Ayn Rand, which is a lot of her unpublished early works, excerpts that were cut from her novels and a couple of plays/movie synopsis scenarios that she wrote. Pretty interesting stuff. I've re-read this many times, but I do like coming back to these early stories and seeing what kind of things she wrote about before she tackled the heavy stuff that everyone knows her for.

Haven't been to this thread in a while...

I've been making more of an effort to read different stuff this year as I noticed I'd stopped and I'd started to miss it. I finally read the Outlander series that C recommended, and enjoyed most of it immensely. Probably the first 3 books were the best IMHO. I also read the Lord John mysteries as well by the same author which I liked as well.

I've also read quite a few romance novels , but I am getting a little bit sick of Regency Romance. Just for once I would like to be able to read a romance set in a different time period. What about Tudor times, or the seventeenth century , or the eighteenth century? I went through a bit of a Georgette Heyer phase which I didn't mind as she is quite witty and most of the characters are likeable, but some of the others really did have me gritting my teeth with how Too stupid to live the heroines were.

I read 'Generation Kill' by Evan Wright because I loved the TV programme so much and I can recommend it highly. It's all about Recon Marines at the beginning of the Iraq war. What I loved about it were the personalities and the characters.

I know I haven't been about a lot recently: I'm just really getting back into the board. I hope no one minds me bringing back an old thread!

I've been making more of an effort to read different stuff this year as I noticed I'd stopped and I'd started to miss it. I finally read the Outlander series that C recommended, and enjoyed most of it immensely. Probably the first 3 books were the best IMHO. I also read the Lord John mysteries as well by the same author which I liked as well.

Great! I'm glad you liked them. I haven't even read all the Lord John books; the second one was in the "big" paperback at the store and I'm a little picky about my books. All the others were in paperback so I like my collection of the same author to have consistency.

The new book in the Outlander series, An Echo in the Bone, came out a few months ago (in hardcover). Hopefully by Christmas it will be released in paperback. A friend of mine who is also fond of the Outlander series has already read it and I have practically begged her not to give away any clues. ;)

Since the last time I posted in here, I went to the book fair nearly 2 months ago and got 13 books for $13. They were mostly astrology books, but I found a few others that were good finds (like finally replacing my decrepit copy of Fellowship!). There's going to be another book fair during the entire month, so as soon as I can get over there I'm going to check it out and see what other kinds of books I can get. Not to mention I just found a bookshelf at a yard sale this weekend for $10! Now my books are not going to be scattered willy-nilly all over the house; I can have a place for them, which means now I can get more books!

C, I would recommend the Lord John books definitely, especially Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade. Then again I really like the character. I have read 'An Echo in the Bone' and once you've read it we'll discuss it further if you'd like. Personally I'm waiting for 'Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner' but I'll probably be waiting a while. I don't really know anyone apart from you who reads these books so I don't really have anyone to semi fangirl with to be honest.
Apparently they're making a film of 'Outlander' as well which I didn't know.

The last thing I read a really weird Wilkie Collins novel called 'The Haunted Hotel' which was a bit bizarre. Really creepy!

You know, my friend and I were talking about this...and we're both a little on the fence about Lord John. I'm hoping that reading more of the books centered on him will give me a better outlook on the character.

And no, I didn't know they were making movies out of these books. I tell ya, ever since LOTR was put to film, it seems any saga of books ever written has been made into film. But I would not mind seeing these on the screen. I just hope that Diana Gabaldon is close at hand to oversee the script and the plot.

Well, fantasizing about who might play Jamie will keep me busy until Echo in the Bone comes out in paperback...

So I got some more goodies at the book fair a couple of weeks ago; found a Rod McKuen book I didn't have. Also found the Creek Mary's Blood book. Can't wait to read it.

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I got sucked into the craze by a few friends and their love for the series, but I must admit, I'm reading at a very slow pace. I don't really know why because I'm enjoying it a lot. Although sometimes I do feel that Martin rambles on too much - he could get to the point a bit faster.

Yeah the show has sparked my own interest in reading A Song of Fire and Ice. It's one of those series that I somehow missed out on until now. First, I need to get through my rather large stack of unread books (it doesn't help when i re-read favorite classics like Dragonlance trilogies hehe).

About Martin...I used to skip entire descriptions of food and dresses and stuff because I didn't care, and there were too much of them :p But his books are the ones I've read faster than every other, and I'm such a slow reader (it took me like a YEAR to read the whole Steven Erikson's House of Chains! And I liked it!). I remember that, back in 2003, I read half of A Game of Thrones in 4 days.
Now I'm reading a Lovecraft chronological anthology, I love him so much!

I tried reading the first book when it originally came out. It was freaking boring.

But I love the TV series.

As for me, I'll read mysteries, thrillers, fantasy and science fiction mostly.

Ahahaha people shall never stop reading!

Back in 2005 I had a dinner with GRR Martin somewhere near Lucca because he was a special guest at the Comics&Games festival, so he accepted to have a dinner with his fans. Everyone at my table was drunk even before the appetizers, me too, so we didn't care too much about him, except when he entered the room and we started to yell at him "naked!naked!" (eww :\). Even if he's not my favourite writer ever, stylistically speaking, I will always love him because he's great to his fans, he even mentioned us in A Dance With Dragons (the italian fans who gave me so much wine!) and he told me I look wonderful (I was too drunk to blush, I replied "ooohh thank youuu"). That was maybe the best evening of my life, even if I don't remember much (but I have photos to witness the general drunkness), and I met my boyfriend and most of my friends thanks to his books. So people should read and get to know people who loves the same books, because reading that damn books changed my life.
Even when they're Twilight (Ugh. Special hate for those books. But my cousin met her bf on the set of New Moon when they were shooting here in Montepulciano :p )

That's so cool that you got to meet one of your favorite authors! Most of my favorite authors are dead, or so old that they don't really do book signing tours anymore. :(

Including one Zellie Blake, author of Lightning Spliced.

Have you had a chance to read it yet C?

I'm a huge Stephen King fan and Pet Sematary is an awesome book, 2 chapters left and it's getting creepier than ever :lol:
Also the new one Full Dark No Stars is awesome- I just finished reading it and I fell in love with it <3 All the stories in it are interesting :)
But my favorite books are A Walk To Remember by Nickolas Sparks (it's about a boy, falling in love with a girl, suffering from leucaemia and at the end she dies) and 7th Victim by Alen Jackobson (I'm not sure if I'm spelling the name right, but it's about a serial killer and no matter how good I am at guessing book endings I couldn't guess this ending and when I read who he was I was more than shocked o_O )
I recommend you all of them- very nice books :D