The GMD Social Hobby Thread

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
GMDS has a lot of different threads for things like pics, "what are you doing now", "thread of joy" etc, gaming, etc., and I think what ties a lot of the posts in those threads together is where we post about various hobbies. However, given the overall volume (or lack thereof) of posts to individual threads, I think we could generate a more lively thread by combining hobby related posts to one thread: The Hobby Thread.

ITT share what you do or are doing that you are really passionate about, through any form of media.

Well, let's see...

I do music stuff. My latest thing is an instrumental rock/metal project I'm working on because I can do that all myself and I'm not in a position to start or join a band right now. I only have one song done so far, but I've got a real panty-dropper in the works: https://soundcloud.com/drunken-wizard

I also have a death metal project I've been trying to find a line-up for, but that's more or less on hold right now. Right now it's just two sloppy instrumental demo tracks, since I'm still looking for a vocalist: https://soundcloud.com/mortuary-fiend

Feedback is welcome, but whatever. I do that stuff because I start to lose my mind if I don't, so what other people think is a secondary concern at best.

I'm a big gamer, as well. Currently playing the recent WWII shooter Enemy Front and I'm honestly really really impressed. City Interactive have really stepped their game up...the first Sniper: Ghost Warrior was shovelware garbage, but the second was also a surprisingly solid effort.

I wish I had the physical and acoustic space for my drum kit. A goal of mine is to be able to drum in some local rock/metal group at some point in my life, but right now I have neither the time nor the space.

I have the opposite problem of a bored person: There are simply too many hobbies I would have had I the time,and I even have the requisite materials to engage in most of them - just not the time.

I really want to take up drumming, since it's fun as fuck, it'd make it a lot easier finding people to play with, and then I could really be my own entire band. Sadly, it's expensive and loud, so it might be a while.

Lately, I've been really into fuckin around with sanding and staining furniture, and I'm really enjoying it. Buying all the woods, making it all awesome. I've never owned a hand sander and now that I've been using one, knowing how easy sanding can be, it's become a much more exciting and satisfying pursuit.

Also the usual art nerding. I draw and paint and stuff, but that shit is just for passing the time. My real passion is sculpting, resin casting, and bone bleaching/ articulating/ arting. I just acquired some human teeth I'm planning on resin casting in as small a bubble as possible and making into a necklace.

Guitar, photography, gardening, hiking, drawing, gaming, drinking quality drinks. I think that sums up my current hobbies.

Most often lately it's been gardening. The most successful grows this year: cherry tomatoes, pepperocinis, pumpkins, corn, kale, rosemary. Lots of other stuff did just ok: carrots, basil, peppermint, onions, radishes, nasturtium, celery.

Photography I feel like I've pretty much mastered my current camera Nikon D3100. I feel limited by it and ready to move up, but that's a big investment for something so breakable.

I think my palate for both wine and beer has expanded quite a bit over the past year. Cabernet and IPAs are now some of my favorite drinks. I'll have to hike more often so that this hobby doesn't also expand my waistline.

-Sports (hockey, football, soccer, baseball)
-Music
-Weed
-Masturbation

Things I want to do in the future:
-Get a Bass
-Start growing weed
-some other shit

I really want to take up drumming, since it's fun as fuck, it'd make it a lot easier finding people to play with, and then I could really be my own entire band. Sadly, it's expensive and loud, so it might be a while.

Yeah loud and the kit requires space. Physical and acoustic space as it were. I have a pretty decent pdp kit gathering dust in a family barn because my apt has no room for it, even if I could be as loud as I wanted.

Lately, I've been really into fuckin around with sanding and staining furniture, and I'm really enjoying it. Buying all the woods, making it all awesome. I've never owned a hand sander and now that I've been using one, knowing how easy sanding can be, it's become a much more exciting and satisfying pursuit.

Wood working has always intrigued me. I would like to be able to make furniture and chests at some point. Are you talking about an orbital or belt sander?

I'm a graduate student with no time for hobbies. But I suppose if I had more structure in my day and motivation, I'd take music-making back up. A couple years ago I created a few Industrial/EBM/Black Metal songs on Garageband, and I used to blog regularly.

I'm a graduate student with no time for hobbies. But I suppose if I had more structure in my day and motivation, I'd take music-making back up. A couple years ago I created a few Industrial/EBM/Black Metal songs on Garageband, and I used to blog regularly.
Do you still have your radio show? That was really neat.

I'm a student filmmaker and spend a lot of time making documentary-style films on various issues. Also starting to delve into psychological horror so making the most interesting things I can with the small budgets I have. Also compose soundtracks to the latter, mostly dark ambient.

In terms of music, I've been playing guitar for eleven years and have recently got into producing IDM/ambient style music with an array of gear I've snatched up from mates as well as a music store I used to work at.

I had my radio show back when I was at the University of Maine. They have a student radio station here at the University of Iowa, but I've always been wary of the time commitments involved.

Mountain biking - my riding partner has been injured all summer so I've been alone. But once he's back were going to hit St Louis and Peoria

Shooting - with the price of ammo and the lack of outdoor spots to shoot I haven't shot as much as I would like. But I fucking love it.

Guitar - I'm in my buddies punk band right now. Been looking for metal players for years. Lots of no talent fucks in this town.

Comics - I've stopped buying comics and moved onto just buying trades. I'm actually selling my old comics so I can get a new bike.

D&D - no idea how I forgot dnd. I love It and have been playing for years. About to run an evil drow campaign for my brother and a friend. Will fit right into my own world. So much fun making history up and all that shit.

Reactions: MetalAges

I may as well be a graduate student already. I'm in the same boat as far as lack of time. The one hobby I have that is still getting the time and money I have left over is tabletop gaming. I manage to make usually one night a week to a local group. Most recently playing "Archipelago".

pic1425839_md.jpg

Wood working has always intrigued me. I would like to be able to make furniture and chests at some point. Are you talking about an orbital or belt sander?

Orbital, they have the one I've been using at Harbor Freight right now for ten bucks, usually fifteen or so. And that little bastard has paid its own price ten times over. I'm usually wary about their tools but this thing has seen a lot of action, sometimes 6+ hours in a row, and still going strong.

You oughta pick one up.

I've been actually getting into resin casting. I got this really sickkkk skull that was made into a necklace. I'd love to do some myself but I'm not going to lie the thought of messing around with dead animals or dead things is a little unnerving but id like to try doing some bone bleaching myself.

As for hobbies I have a ton and they change often because im all over the place. Right now I'm dancing quite a lot (a show a week), which is pretty good but nothing compared to when I was like 18 and made all my money from it. It really wears you out though

I also make a lot of my costumes. I use to really be into making my own clothes in general and accessories. I still do it but not as often and I only made recent dance shit out of necessity from fabric I bought maybe 3-4 years ago...

I also do a lot of theatre. Right now I'm reading a book about improvisational theatre and once I start my new job I'm going to get my company to fund studio time so I'll conduct some improv theatre exercises for the adult day hab. I'll even probably see if I can get a group of girls for dance class for fun Friday's.

Umm.. I use to write a lot. Now just mostly read. Probably will get into that again.

I took on stand-up as a hobby. Doing mostly open mics and opening for insignificant comedians that work blue (meaning dirty). I bomb most of the time and it's a shit show (people talking, heckling etc) but I'll keep trying until I suck less.

Reactions: King Richard
I have many hobbies such as lifting weights/exercising, following sports, keeping up to date on world news, studying history and other cultures besides my own, listening to music, reading books and recently drinking beer.

For the last month or so I've also been studying Japanese, which is a lot of fun. I'm focusing on reading, writing, and basic sentence structure as of now and just simply trying to absorb of much of the language as possible. I bought a couple of books and I'm self teaching which is actually going well.

I'd also like to say that I'm a pretty big gamer, as some of you who frequent that thread know... And recommend for MtG fans who have a smartphone to download Shadow Era. Its the best mobile clone I've found, pretty tight.

Baseball is my biggest probably. I'm trying to turn it into more than that but the odds are slim. I also make music, play piano, go to the gym and play poker.