The Guitar Player's Thread

manini

QV Myspace Whore
Apr 21, 2005
Los Angeles
www.myspace.com
I figured every forum has one of these, so why not create one for the QV forum :) Basically, this is a thread where guitar players can ask questions about anything guitar related and also leave comments and what not. Bassists, drummers, and keyboardists, feel free to respond in here as well.

I'll start this thread off. First let me give you a little information about myself. I've been playing guitar for exactly two years, completely self taught. My guitar is a left handed ESP LTD Viper 50 with upgraded pickups to the EMG 81/85 set. My amp is a Line 6 Spider II 15 watt combo. (I think it may be time for an upgrade :p) I also have a Line 6 GuitarPort that I use for recording.

Anyway, I have a few questions regarding playing. Now I do my best to practice as often as I can, and I feel like I've been making some progress, but I'm not really at the level that I was hoping to be at after two years, like I still can't solo at all, even if my life depended on it. I think it may be because I haven't bothered to learn my scales :rolleyes: But do you guys have any suggestions, on what to include in my practice routines, or maybe some books / dvd's that are really helpful. This whole time I've just been jamming/screwing around/ using Guitar Pro to learn how to play my fav songs, but I guess it's time to step it up a notch.

Also, playing by ear... is there any special techniques to getting better at that, or is something that you just pickup over time. Theres a few riffs I've been able to figure out by ear, but not much more than that really. Playing by ear would help for all those songs I don't have tabs for.

Here is what I could give as advice.

First, here's the stuff everybody can tell you, start slowly and then build up the speed playing with a metronome (or Guitar Pro, that's a nice tool). Now, here is some precisions. It doesn't matter what you're playing, it's going to work for any exercise. If you want to start practicing your scales that's fine, but you can do it with any exercise you want to develop. Find some small exercises and play them in loop. You could write it out on Guitar Pro and put some repeats on it. Try playing it for a whole minute without stopping. The idea is to feel it working in your arm muscles. If you can do it for a minute, do it faster. You can aply this to any exercise. It could be a part from a rhtyhm section, a solo lick, anything you want to play faster. It's like a workout, or a weight training program. You got your exercises (the lick), The weight (the speed), and your number of reps (the one-minute duration), and then the muscles have to hurt!

For playing by ear, you can use a similar process, start with a small part. Listen to just a couple of notes then press the pause button, and find those notes on your guitar. Listen to the following couple of notes and press pause. If you are fast enough with the button, you can hear only one note (even in fast passages), and that makes it easier to find. And don't worry, the more you do it, the better you are at it. We all suck the first time we play by ear.

Hope this helps.

Marc-André.

nice... here is a tip from me, learn your intervals, it'll help your composition as well as picking up songs by ear:
One good way to practice your intervals is by memorising riffs, for example: Legions of the Betrayed: minor third -> major third -> minor third -> perfect fourth -> major third
Any powerchord is a perfect fifth.
Any other riffs that can be broken down like this?
-b

exutus - I'm writing some japanese sounding stuff for the new material we'll be doing at the drum fest... those are some nice scales...
One I've been recently experimenting arround with is melodic minor, thje cool thing about this scale is you play it up one way and down you change the notes, bach used this scale a lot. So... For example to use your notation based on major scale: 1-2-b3-4-5-6-7 ascending and b7-b6-5-4-b3-2-1 descending - try it, sounds pretty cool.

it would start with 0-2-3 - like the beginnig of standard minor scale, the rest of the notes are the same as in standard major ascending, you then switch to minor on the descent.

Damn Exutus thats alot of scales! I'll sure have a look at some of them! Thank you :)

And bart, I was wondering when you are composing what notes are you using as a "tonic" ? like A or D or E? And I think you use minor scales? I just wanted to know :p

depends on the riff or song... sometimes I'm trying to go for a specific mode for some riffs that would have a different fundamental from the tonic of the section, there is a good example in tunnel effect, the F# riff specifically, I'll post an example later.

Damn Exutus thats alot of scales! I'll sure have a look at some of them! Thank you :)

And bart, I was wondering when you are composing what notes are you using as a "tonic" ? like A or D or E? And I think you use minor scales? I just wanted to know :p

OK here it is: 2 riffs out of Tunnel Effect, the song is in E (tonic) where as the two riffs in the example modulate (Bars 1-4) to F# phrygian (F# becomes the tonic / d major becomes the parent scale) then bars 5-12 are Regular G Minor - so we modulate to G as the tonic BUT in bars 7-8 and 11-12 the fundamental of the chord changes to F while the tonic remains G.
Hmmm clear as mud ;)

http://www.quovadis.qc.ca/promo/transcriptions/modulation_example.pdf

Nice! so you're using the 2nd degree note of the E minor scale(F#) for modulating to G (in this exemple) then you play G as a tonic in riffs 5-6 , 9-10 then use is 7th degre note(F) as a fundamental for the riffs 7-8, 11-12 and then what you return to E as a tonic? That's cool! So basically, you tend to use E as the main tonic of your songs or any notes that include E in their scales so you can always come back to E?

Guess I'm gonna retune my guitar in E :)
Thank you Bart!

Nice! so you're using the 2nd degree note of the E minor scale(F#) for modulating to G (in this exemple) then you play G as a tonic in riffs 5-6 , 9-10 then use is 7th degre note(F) as a fundamental for the riffs 7-8, 11-12 and then what you return to E as a tonic? That's cool! So basically, you tend to use E as the main tonic of your songs or any notes that include E in their scales so you can always come back to E?

Guess I'm gonna retune my guitar in E :)
Thank you Bart!

The new material will move a bit away from this but on previous records this has generally been it. I've never seen the need to downtune, on the other hand I've been thinking about getting a 7 string for the next album... we'll see.

The new material will move a bit away from this but on previous records this has generally been it. I've never seen the need to downtune, on the other hand I've been thinking about getting a 7 string for the next album... we'll see.

All right Bart! I've got my seven-string guitar ready. I'm game for 7-string Quo Vadis.

Hey Manini, you should check out the Carvin guitars. They're the cheapest high-quality guitars you'll find and they have an awesome 7-string model AND they don't charge extra for building a left-handed one.

MAG.