The official Esoteric thread

Leaks usually lead to a horrid free-rider problem, but being the good Samaritan that I am, I've wrangled 6 others into a preorder stateside. Everyone's LOVIN this shit. Do I get a medal?

I got two yokels to order it (and Spectral, and Fractal) :headbang:

by the speeds I was getting that goddamn torrent is on fire
which i think is a good thing - sure, more people may listen to it for free, but you also get a bigger audience which may lead to more sales.

(ps, my girlfriend likes Esoteric :oops: i love being me)

“True, Swedish melodic death metal — the kind untainted by metalcore — isn’t dead. Not if Skyfire have anything to say about it, anyway… a hyper-energetic sound that practically DEMANDS listener attention” – Zero Tolerance Magazine

Definately an album to buy, like all the other Skyfire albums. It definiately will look good aside my other three. As far as the album itself goes, I think it falls short of Spectral, but with a partially new line-up, I expected as such. I'm expecting the next one (whenever that rolls around) will exceed the beauty that Spectral is.

(ps, my girlfriend likes Esoteric :oops: i love being me)

As does mine, has the other three albums as well. Go us!

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/blog/

Martin Hanner's (Skyfire) Top 5 Most Underrated Melodic Death Metal Albums

Posted September 29 by Chris D.

By Martin Hanner (Skyfire)

5. The Crown – Deathrace King (Metal Blade)
This album consists of 49 minutes of metal in its purest form. There is not a dull moment to be found here; the riffs are great, incredible drumming, cool raw vocals and the songs are fast and they have a nice aggressive touch to them. I cannot really find anything to complain about. Everything from the production to the lyrics and the music itself just make perfect sense. These things combined results in one of the best party albums ever. If you are into metal that is.

4. Embraced – Amorous Anathema (Regain)
This is another one of my favorite albums which is really underrated. It is melodic death/black that stands out about a bit from the competition by using the piano as the lead instrument while the guitars most of the time work as complement to the keys. They have some great guitar melodies as well though. The album has a great dark atmosphere and there are also some really cool tempo changes to be found.

3. Embraced – Within (Regain)
This is their second and last album and this one is a bit darker and faster than their previous work. Just like the first one this album is also heavily keyboard based, but here they mix together the melodic and beautiful parts with more chaotic and raging parts, which I think creates a pretty original sound. Both of Embraced's albums have influenced us when it comes to incorporating piano into metal music.

2. Decameron – My Shadow... (No Fashion)
Yet another Swedish act which plays guitar-driven melodic death metal. Many good songs and while the music might not be the most original in the genre they manage to keep the songs interesting. Most of the time. There is also some great drumming to be found. I also think the vocals are really cool. Some of the guitar riffs are quite technical and they break up the music with some pretty cool rhythm changes.

1. Bal-Sagoth – Starfire Burning upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule (Cacophonous)
Probably on of my favorite albums within in the genre. If you are looking for something epic you don’t need to look any further. The lyrics alone are so epic and well written that they could doubtless be given out in book form and tell a tale of their own. Combined with the bombastic music it gets even better. The songs are really interesting. I guess you could say that the music is quite progressive, because the songs consist of a lot of different riffs. The only thing that could make this album even better in my opinion is if the black metal-inspired vocals were a bit better. That said, the vocalist also uses a low pitch narrative voice, which together with some of the melodies on the album gives me the chills.

LOL Metal Hammer Germany gave the CD a 2.5. I asked a German friend to explain it to me and he said that the reviewer said there are too much keyboards and without the keyboards it would just sound like In Flames or CoB.

I will never understand this mentality.

I agree with that guy. It would sound exactly the same as those two bands who sound different from each other.

Why, just the other day I was eating a turkey and cheese sandwich and realized how much it sucked, because without the turkey it would just be a cheese sandwich, and I hate cheese sandwiches.

I agree with that guy. It would sound exactly the same as those two bands who sound different from each other.

Why, just the other day I was eating a turkey and cheese sandwich and realized how much it sucked, because without the turkey it would just be a cheese sandwich, and I hate cheese sandwiches.

/facepalm/

of course dude.. skyfire sounds a lot different than CoB.. meeen.

Just one Example.. since Esoteric they had never or very less guitar solos in their songs.. get it?

Just because they use also MELODIC rhytm & lead guitars and catchy keyboards doesnt mean they play sound like cob..

same as with kalmah.

:rolleyes:

/facepalm/

Just one Example.. since Esoteric they had never or very less guitar solos in their songs.. get it?

Just because they use also MELODIC rhytm & lead guitars and catchy keyboards doesnt mean they play sound like cob..

same as with kalmah.

I think froosch was sarcastic.

am I the only one who doesnt think esoteric is that good? im let down...im bummed out. where are the cool guitar melodies ala conjuring of the thoughts and dead man's race? :-(

the new nightrage on the other hand is pretty awesome not to even mention the new hypocrisy which is just fucking awesome as hell.

am I the only one who doesnt think esoteric is that good? im let down...im bummed out. where are the cool guitar melodies ala conjuring of the thoughts and dead man's race? :-(

the new nightrage on the other hand is pretty awesome.

I also think Spectral was better. Esoteric is a good album but I feel there's something missing.

The new Nightrage, from what I heard, was generic and uninspired as fuuuuck. No catchiness, nothing. The first 2 albums had some really hooky lead guitar parts and the third album had some catchy cleans.

BTW I'm spinning the latest Omnium Gatherum (from last year) and that shit is reaaally good. I originally thought it was some pussified melodeath nonsense but it's actually quite an interesting record. I dig!

BTW I'm spinning the latest Omnium Gatherum (from last year) and that shit is reaaally good. I originally thought it was some pussified melodeath nonsense but it's actually quite an interesting record. I dig!

First 2 albums own face on the new album. Didn't like the new one all that much. Actually, the song The Nail was pretty cool, but overall I think their first 2 >>> last 2

/facepalm/

same as with kalmah.

I'll let you off the hook because you have two capital L's in your name, instead of a 100% caps/no caps stagger, but I thought I was laying the sarcasm on pretty thick. My point was that Bodom and In Flames don't sound alike, so how a band can be a clone of both at the same time doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I don't really hate cheese sandwiches, but it's a serious waste of bread and cheese for it not to be buttered and pan-fried into a grilled cheese.

This was probably my favorite album of last year, it's truly a piece of work. And their best album. I love it! :kickass:

The new Nightrage, from what I heard, was generic and uninspired as fuuuuck.
Couldn't have put it any better.